Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Nice deal for both teams. Bulls need a natural shooting guard to steal some minutes at that position, and the Rockets were paperthin at the center position after Yao. Now Yao doesnt have to play so many minutes and the Bulls get a shooter to add to the rotation.

Yao and Mutombo is a pretty scary duo at the center position. When you play the Rockets, you're either attacking the rim to meet Yao or Mutombo, thats discouraging.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mutombo might give you some decent bench minutes every now and then but as far as on court production goes that guy is done and doesn't scare anyone anymore.

There is a reason the Nets bought him out and hardly played him, there is a reason the Knicks hardly used him really and dropped him quickly. Both of those teams were desperate for help in the middle.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
There is no way Ward should start over Sura or even Lue. The Rockets have plenty of depth I think. Here's the minutes breakdown:

McGrady- 40
Yao- 33
Howard- 28
Jackson- 28
Sura- 24
Taylor- 24
Lue- 20
Ward- 15
Mutombo- 12
Nachbar- 8
Weatherspoon- 5
Padgett- 5
Gaines- IL

Everybody's playing reasonable minutes. That's a very good team.

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BigAmare</b>!
Whew looks like their bench got even thinner.
Puhhhlease. The only reason Wilks was signed by the Rockets was so he could be included in the trade to the Bulls. He wasn't going to get any PT behind Sura, Ward and Lue. Adrian Griffin was getting beaten out for minutes by Nachbar, not because Gumby wanted to give Nachbar exposure, but because Griffin was just not bringing it defensively. And we saw how fearlessly Nachbar played against the Lakers last year.

We still have 3 free roster spots, expect us to pursue a shooter, namely Jon Barry.

A bench of Sura/Ward, Lue, Taylor, Nachbar and Mutumbo is above average.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The Knicks hardly used him? He played 23 minutes a night and averaged almost 7 rebounds and 2 blocks... that's a decent amount of minutes and very solid defensive statistics.

That said, BigAmare is just classic. Wilks wouldn't have even made the team with Sura, Ward and Lue all PG options. Griffin wouldn't have gotten off the bench. You can find players equivalent to those two in the NBDL. Piatkowski has had decent seasons before, but he clearly didn't fit in Van Gundy's system and the Rockets have Nachbar to step in and play the backup swingman minutes.

Instead, the Rockets were able to trade some completely unneeded parts for a decent backup center to play 15 minutes a night. It was a huge hole on the roster, and now it's filled by a guy who plays very solid post defense and provides a defensive presence, even at age 48. :D Mutombo was better in New York than he was in New Jersey, and he'll be a little better in Houston than both. Mutombo and the Nets were always a horrible fit... Mutombo belongs in a slow-paced halfcourt offense, not a team that likes to run and gun.

But yeah, if this goes through, the Rockets will have traded three unnecessary parts for a quality backup at the most glaring need position on their team. And this is a bad move for the Rockets? hehe, BigAmare is fun.

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
Actually I found that Mutumbo is very effective defensively, just offensively he was a liability... With T-Mac on the floor that will be no problem. And Mutumbo was VERY effective against the Spurs when he played with the Nets in the finals...

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Yeah the knicks didnt really use him as much as his numbers show. he was the starter early on, but he stunk. the reason it shows he has 23 minutes a game cause he got so many DNP-CD and IL visits instead of games with only one or two minutes.

Mutombo was useless in the second half of the season, and didnt play one minute in the playoffs. he wasnt what we hoped for really.

the guy regressed tremendously, but he might help the rockets a bit since they play a real slow game. he might just pass half court by the time 3 is left on the shot clock.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Yeah Mutombo is still one of the best post defenders in the league. He is a liability on offense, but couple the fact hat McGrady is the best scorer in the league and Howard/Taylor are very good scorers (even if they dont do much else), Mutombo looks pretty good in that setting, as a backup to Yao. Not to mention Van Gundy will have his team playing fabulous defense, and he will know exactly how to utilize Dikembe.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ming Bling</b>!

:laugh: Definitely the best sig out there. I was about to bump the thread as well.
Um, shouldn't you wait until the season starts?

Anyway, this trade will help the Rockets a little bit, since they desperately need a backup center and none of the guys they're trading would have gotten any playing time (barring injury). But Dikembe is pretty much finished, so this trade isn't big news at all.

A bench of Sura/Ward, Lue, Taylor, Nachbar and Mutumbo is above average.
Please name fifteen benches worse than the Rockets'. I'd be impressed if there are five.

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ArtestFan</b>!
The purpose of bumping it was to see your response to the Rocket signings as of late, and if it affected your view on their 10th seed. I expect the Rockets bench to look something like:

Mo Taylor, Bob Sura/Charlie Ward (again, depending on Nachbar), Tyronn Lue, Bostjan Nachbar, Dikembe Mutumbo, and a probable shooter.

Please name fifteen benches worse than the Rockets'. I'd be impressed if there are five.
Using your thread on the 30 NBA rosters:

1. Atlanta - Boris Diaw, Predrag Drobnjak, Chris Crawford, Tony Delk
2. Boston - Al Jefferson (Looked great in the summer leagues but can he put up numbers in his first season?), Walter McCarty, Ricky Davis, Marcus Banks
3. Charlotte - Jason Kapono, Jason Hart, Melvin Ely, Brandon Hunter
4. Chicago - Andres Nocioni, Antonio Davis, Frank Williams, Piatkowski (I could be wrong on this one, but Pike is coming off a poor season, and Nocioni/Williams have yet to prove their effectiveness)
5. Cleveland - Jeff McInnis, Aleksandar Pavlovic, DeSagana Diop, Robert Traylor
6. Clippers
7. Detroit - Ronald Dupree, Lindsey Hunter, Antonio McDyess, Campbell, Delfino
8. Miami - Michael Doleac, Rasual Butler, Keyon Dooling, Wesley Person
9. New Jersey
10. New Orleans - Darrell Armstrong, David West, Rodney Rogers, Chris Andersen
11. Orlando - Assuming Grant Hill doesn't play.
12. Phoenix - Quentin Richardson (More effective than Mo Taylor), Maciej Lampe (How is he more capable than Nachbar), Jackson Vroman (He's no Dikembe), Leandro Barbosa (can't see him being more effective than Sura)
13. San Antonio - Brent Barry is great, he really is, but the rest of those guys?
14. Seattle - Radmanovic and Murray about as one dimensional as Mo Taylor, and their backup big men shouldn't be in the NBA
15. Washington - Etan Thomas, Jarvis Hayes, Steve Blake, Peter John Ramos

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
well Houston is getting pretty thin but Shaq/Kobe have proved that role players (crappy ones) Can win championships around a solid big-small combo.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ming Bling</b>!

Using your thread on the 30 NBA rosters:

1. Atlanta - Boris Diaw, Predrag Drobnjak, Chris Crawford, Tony Delk
2. Boston - Al Jefferson (Looked great in the summer leagues but can he put up numbers in his first season?), Walter McCarty, Ricky Davis, Marcus Banks
3. Charlotte - Jason Kapono, Jason Hart, Melvin Ely, Brandon Hunter
4. Chicago - Andres Nocioni, Antonio Davis, Frank Williams, Piatkowski (I could be wrong on this one, but Pike is coming off a poor season, and Nocioni/Williams have yet to prove their effectiveness)
5. Cleveland - Jeff McInnis, Aleksandar Pavlovic, DeSagana Diop, Robert Traylor
6. Clippers
7. Detroit - Ronald Dupree, Lindsey Hunter, Antonio McDyess, Campbell, Delfino
8. Miami - Michael Doleac, Rasual Butler, Keyon Dooling, Wesley Person
9. New Jersey
10. New Orleans - Darrell Armstrong, David West, Rodney Rogers, Chris Andersen
11. Orlando - Assuming Grant Hill doesn't play.
12. Phoenix - Quentin Richardson (More effective than Mo Taylor), Maciej Lampe (How is he more capable than Nachbar), Jackson Vroman (He's no Dikembe), Leandro Barbosa (can't see him being more effective than Sura)
13. San Antonio - Brent Barry is great, he really is, but the rest of those guys?
14. Seattle - Radmanovic and Murray about as one dimensional as Mo Taylor, and their backup big men shouldn't be in the NBA
15. Washington - Etan Thomas, Jarvis Hayes, Steve Blake, Peter John Ramos
i think you're stretching it with alot of these and some are flat out wrong, and you're leaving key players off of alot of em. Boston has a much, much better bench than HOU does at this point, SA and Detroit have championship level benches with guys who fill roles much more nicely than HOU's bench does. Seattle has way more offense off the bench and so does Phoenix. NO has a better bench with a true backup PG. There are a few more that i wont mention. This post reeeks of bias!

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
I'll give you Atlanta, Charlotte, Cleveland, Miami, and New Jersey. And maybe Chicago, the Clippers and Detroit, depending on the contributions they get from their unproven players. So I guess your bench really isn't as bad as I thought. It's still pretty bad though. Saying the Rockets have a better bench than the Magic is laughable, the Magic have one of the best benches in the league.

Mo Taylor and Sura/Ward are really the only players on that bench who deserve NBA playing time, and even Ward didn't play much for the Spurs last year, while Sura didn't play much for the Pistons. If you have any injuries next year, you're going to give a whole lot of minutes to some truly awful players (Gaines, Lue, Mutombo, Nachbar, and Weatherspoon). There aren't many teams in that position, and some of those players will have to play even if you're completely healthy.

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ArtestFan</b>!
so does this mean your opinion has not changed at all? if so, i think that's pretty dumb. before the rockets only pg was lue and they didn't have a backup center at all. now they have lue, sura, and ward to play pg. sura also helps because he can play the 2 or even some 3. griffin and piat were both useless last year and they were traded to bring in one of the better backup centers in the league. he'll play 10-15 minutes and is still a good shot blocker and rebounder. they also bring back padgett who can hit the perimeter shot as a big man.

pg - lue, sura, ward
sg - tmac, sura
sf - jackson, nachbar
pf - howard, taylor, padgett
c - yao, mutumbo

they have answered the problems you stated in your other thread. if you still stick by the exact same predictions then i don't know what to say.

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Whodinee</b>!
i think you're stretching it with alot of these and some are flat out wrong, and you're leaving key players off of alot of em. Boston has a much, much better bench than HOU does at this point, SA and Detroit have championship level benches with guys who fill roles much more nicely than HOU's bench does. Seattle has way more offense off the bench and so does Phoenix. NO has a better bench with a true backup PG. There are a few more that i wont mention.
SA and Detroit are stretches because they are championship level? Honestly, if you didn't know what teams those players played for then Houston would get the edge. NO doesn't have a better bench than Houston, plain and simple. Phoenix has Q and Barbosa, Houston has Sura, Taylor, Dikembe and Nachbar. Seattle does have way more offense than Houston, but they lack depth.

This post reeeks of bias!
I can't argue with that... maybe I'm expecting too much from Sura, Taylor and company.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts