Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's no question that the MVC played and won the RPI game this year. Nevertheless, the performance of the four teams in the tournament certainly seems to indicate that their conference ranking ahead of the A10 was well deserved. With George Mason going to the sweet 16 as a 11= seed - and even though GW beat UNCW - the Colonial is also looking better than the A10.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jworth said:
Well, to answer the question, the MVC is not even close to being overrated. Having Bradley and Wichita State both in the Sweet 16 says it all.

How does the question relate to the first post, though?
It takes some context - context lost when the board content was lost. There were a number of threads where it was cclaimed the MVC was overrated. Had the content still been available, I would have posted in one of the threads. I actually assumed that most people on the board would recognize that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,285 Posts
UMass87 said:
It takes some context - context lost when the board content was lost. There were a number of threads where it was cclaimed the MVC was overrated. Had the content still been available, I would have posted in one of the threads. I actually assumed that most people on the board would recognize that.
Oh okay, I see. It went past me at first because this is the first day I've checked the college hoops forum, but I see now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,947 Posts
UMass87 said:
There's no question that the MVC played and won the RPI game this year. Nevertheless, the performance of the four teams in the tournament certainly seems to indicate that their conference ranking ahead of the A10 was well deserved. With George Mason going to the sweet 16 as a 11= seed - and even though GW beat UNCW - the Colonial is also looking better than the A10.
i don't think those teams doing better really means anything as far as the conferences are concerned.

the mvc is better than the a10 this year. 4 teams in the tournament, 2 in the sweet 16, and 2 teams that look like they could make deep nit runs. i'd say the colonial is better too, at least at the top with there best 3 teams.

but i don't think that any of the mvc or colonial teams would have beaten duke either. they just had easier matchups than gw(who really got screwed with their 8 seed).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,509 Posts
I've said before I thought the MVC was better this year. Not much, much better. But better. Bradley impresses me the most, then Wichita State. I thought Southern Illinois, though a good team, was the weakest of the four entries, and yet they won the conference tournament. Looking at the MVC rosters the other day, the league loses a large number of key seniors, so I expect some dropoff next year, but it's been a great season for the valley.

Similarly, the Colonial has shown its worth. Wilmington and George Mason are borderline top 25 teams, perhaps Mason is even better than that. And Hofstra is pretty darned good, too. They had a legitimate beef about not getting an invite.

I've seen GM quite a bit in recent years, including a few games in person. Somebody from the A-10 should have hired Jim Larranaga years ago. I think the Dukes talked to him once, but he withdrew from consideration. I could see why given the former leadership at the school.

What I want to know is how did some of those players end up at GM and not in the A-10. Will Thomas, the Butler kid (I think Richmond recruited him), Lewis. Seems like we are missing the boat on some talented kids, particularly those in Maryland.

Is the Colonial better than the A-10? I am not quite prepared to concede that, but a case certainly can be made. The top 3-4 teams are damn good. By the end of the season, though, I liked how Xavier and St. Joe's were playing and GW had a great year. Nonetheless, the Colonial gets credit for noncon success.

What the tournament has shown this week is how much parity there is in college ball -- and how leagues are prone to cycles. While the A-10 always has a lot of work to do to maintain its competitiveness and to keep within sight of the big boys, I think we as fans have to recognize that it's not always about our failings as it is about the relative success of other leagues.

Forget the MVC vs A-10. You could say the MVC is better than the Big 10 this year! The MVC gets four teams in the Dance, goes 4-2 and sends two teams to the Sweet 16. Meanwhile, the Big 10 sends 6 schools, goes 3-6 and sends ZERO teams to the Sweet 16.

And the Big 10 was the No. 1 rated conference by the RPI. As I always say, you can't trust the data alone. Sometimes you have to see with your own eyes. What my eyes tell me is that there are a lot of good teams in college ball, perhaps more than ever, and they dont all play in the top six conferences.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
There are a lot of "even" teams out there. On any given night (& it certainly relates to where) any one team can take it to the other. Parity is King. The 3 (hitting & missing), lousy foul shooting, playing out of control, the old "mo-mentum", etc, makes it a brand new ball game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,947 Posts
WH said:
I've said before I thought the MVC was better this year. Not much, much better. But better. Bradley impresses me the most, then Wichita State. I thought Southern Illinois, though a good team, was the weakest of the four entries, and yet they won the conference tournament. Looking at the MVC rosters the other day, the league loses a large number of key seniors, so I expect some dropoff next year, but it's been a great season for the valley.
i don't know if there will be much of a dropoff for some of the top teams. southern illinois returns everyone. wichita state loses paul miller, but returns everyone else. missouri state loses 2 of their top 9 so they'll still be good. creighton loses 1 of their top 5 and then 2 of their top 4 off the bench(i'm not sure the situation with nate funk, so i excluded him). bradley loses 3 of their top 4 guys, but if o'bryant comes back, they will be good. northern iowa is the only team that will lose a lot with half of their rotation leaving.

they still will have a lot of good players and teams next season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
UMass87 said:
so...the question is...will Hell freeze over before Billy Packer et al. concede that not only were they wrong about not enough BCS schools in but, in fact, there were too many?
Yes, hell will freeze over first. I don't think Packer has ever admitted to being wrong and I doubt he will (and we all know how often he's wrong). I think it is more likely that Dick Vitale will call Coack K Satan than Packer will admit he's wrong.
 

·
That'll do Pigley...
Joined
·
51,186 Posts
rocketeer said:
i don't know if there will be much of a dropoff for some of the top teams. southern illinois returns everyone. wichita state loses paul miller, but returns everyone else. missouri state loses 2 of their top 9 so they'll still be good. creighton loses 1 of their top 5 and then 2 of their top 4 off the bench(i'm not sure the situation with nate funk, so i excluded him). bradley loses 3 of their top 4 guys, but if o'bryant comes back, they will be good. northern iowa is the only team that will lose a lot with half of their rotation leaving.

they still will have a lot of good players and teams next season.
Nate Funk is redshirted. He'll be back next year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
During the Villanoverbearing-Arizona game Jim Nantz mentioned how "some people" were complaining that the Missouri Valley Conference shouldn't have gotten four bids.

What Nantz didn't mention that the two loudest of those "some people" were himself and the fatuous *** seated next to him. Obviously, Shilly Packer is never wrong -- facts be damned -- but didn't exactly make a declarative admission of being wrong, either.

Then again, you can't spell "CBS" without "BCS." It's all about the cartel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,509 Posts
To be fair to Nantz and Packer, in the very same game RI Red refers to, both guys admitted that they had been wrong about the Valley. They made those comments after the "some people" remark. In the NYT today, Packer is also quoted as saying: "they proved what they can do, so my opinion is useless. If every team (from the MVC) had lost, does that mean those teams can't play? No."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,509 Posts
On the MVC, yes, the league will be good again next year, but some star power will certainly be lost. Miller isnt exactly replaceable, nor is a player like Glenn Somerville. NIU loses arguably its best two players. Seems that SIU and Missouri State, and Creighton if Funk is back, will be very good. Having a kid like O'Bryant stick around should also keep Bradley in the running. Can they duplicate what they did this year next season? That will be tough. Again, though, the MVC is a quality league. They aren't going anywhere. Unlike some, I dont see the MVC and A-10 in competition. We rarely recruit the same kids and it's not a zero-sum game. Both leagues can be good at the same time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
790 Posts
"Fudge" Packer admitting his opionion is useless !!

My god, I see pigs flying over my house. The end times have arrived.

At least he admits what the rest of the country has known for years. I am thankful that thus far, I have been spared most of the games he has been announcing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
WH, I agree the MVC and the A10 should be cheering for each other, because anytime we can show that the BCS conference schools don't have a monopoly on basketball the better. Couple of things, word is Funk will be back next year for sure at Creighton, if they can avoid the injury bug that really hurt them this year, Creighton should be very good next year. Northern Iowa, UNI (NIU is Northern Illinios in the MAC) is probably losing the most, but will still return with two very good inside players in Crawford and Stout. Everyone from SIU is back and Mo St loses two, but played with a deep bench so shouldn't hurt that much.

I think what will determine the future of the MVC is retaining their coaches. The MVC has some very good head coaches and I think that as much as anything is the reason the MVC has had the success this season. If a month from now 3 or 4 MVC schools are looking to replace their head coaches then the league could easily fall back to 1-2 bid conference in a couple of years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,509 Posts
I’ll be curious to see who gets hired out of the MVC, StLouBlue. I think Altman is one of the best coaches in the country. Like John Beilein at West Virginia, he could make some big runs in the tournament at a higher level program.

The NUI coach impresses the heck out of me, too.

I’d be looking closely at MVC coaches if I were the AD of Missouri, Iowa State, Iowa (if Alford leaves) or Indiana. In fact, it's probably the first place I would look.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top