Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been without a computer for a while, and haven't been able to comment on the Mutumbo trade.

New Jersey gets: Dikembe Mutumbo
Philadelphia gets: Keith Van Horn and Todd MacCoullagh

This is one of those trades that makes sense for both teams. New Jersey gets one of the best defenders in the game, one of the best centers in the East, and a guy that can CONTROL Shaq (at times) in Mutumbo. Their plan is to get better defensively and to try to keep Jason Kidd in Jersey by getting better players around him. Keith Van Horn was overpaid with a max contract, and Todd MacCoullagh was expendable because of their depth at center (Aaron Williams and Jason Collins). Keith Van Horn was New Jersey's best outside shooter, and his replacement, Richard Jefferson, is more of a slasher than outside shooter so there is a loss there. But I believe he could be easily replaced by free agent Rodney Rogers. The Nets could probably sign him for cheap. If the Nets get a shooter in free agency I give them an A on this trade.

Philadelphia lost a big part of their championship run from 2001, but I believe they made themselves better in this trade. Keith Van Horn gives them an overpaid, but a good outside shooter who can score 16-20 ppg. They also get a replacement for Mutumbo, in MacCoullagh. MacCoullagh may not be as talented as many players, but he is huge and he's got some good post moves. MacCoullagh should average around 10ppg. The Sixers didn't improve defensively in this trade, but they improved significantly on offense, which they need. I give the Sixers a B+ on this trade.

comments?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree, this trade works for both teams. Philly gets their offensive help...(If AI will give up the rock) and Jersey gets probably the Best defensive center in the league.
Lots of pressure on Jefferson to step it up, butin the finals, he was more impressive than Van Horn.
Good trade both ways.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Both teams definitly benifit in this trade, the Sixers got the three point shooter they desperatly needed, a decent center to fill in for Mutumbo, and the Nets will have an awsome front court with Kenyon Martin and Mutumbo.

Sixers: B
Nets: A+

1 - 3 of 3 Posts