Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unless you are the next LeBron James, STAY IN SCHOOL!

Here’s how this year’s preps-to-pros have got on:

#1 LeBron James: 20.9 PPG 5.8 RPG 5.6 APG
#2 Darko Milicic: 48 mins 0.9 PPG 0.7 RPG 1.1 PFPG
#23 Travis Outlaw: 11 mins 0.6PPG 0.3 RPG
#26 Ndudi Ebi: 31 mins 0.8PPG 0.2RPG 0.4PFPG
#27 Kendrick Perkins: 15 mins 2PPG 1RPG 1PFPG
#30 Maciej Lampe: 23mins 2PPG 1RPG 1.3PFPG
#34 Sofoklis Schortsianitis: Tipped as lottery pick, but left overseas to mature
#48 James Lang: Cut by Hornets without playing a game

That’s 168 minutes between 5 players in 50 games. And there’s a reason for it.

Let’s not forget Kwame Brown, who has developed very slowly, although to his credit he is starting to look useful. And DeSagana Diop who fits into the same category, though he is a vastly different kind of player.

OK, my first advice was a little harsh. Jermaine O’Neal has exceeded expectations, Rashard Lewis is an excellent player too. But apart from the players everyone expected to be superstars (KG, Kobe, Tmac) few have yet amounted to much.

Why spend 2 years on the bench when you could be playing games and gaining experience? And franchises, why risk a green youngster when you could take a more-developed and experienced graduate?

Obviously money is part of the answer, and who can blame the youngsters of today for taking the chance at 18, but even 1 year of college could do you a load of good.

Final Conclusion: Off all current HSers, only Dwight Howard should be taking part in the 2004 NBA draft.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So your trying to tell me if your a rebuilding franchise you wouldn't give one of these kids a chance to grow into your franchise player. There has only been about what 4 high school kids to make the jump that haven't stuck in the league? (James Lang, Leon Smith, Korleon Young, Lenny Cook) And i have seen all of these kids play, and i wouldn't be suprised if Lang, Smith , and Cook are all on NBA rosters by the end of next year. How many of these kids are going to be superstars or are superstars. Jermaine Oneal, Al Harrington, Rashard Lewis, Kevin Garnett, Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, Eddy Curry, Ty Chandler, Kwame Brown..... Deshawn Stevenson is even does his thing in Utah, and D.Miles is still young(when he was in LAC everyone was loving him). I dont think its just by accident that these kids all contribute. So are you trying to tell me that if Lenny Cook, Lang or any of those kids went to college that they would be the superstars they were projected to be in the League right now? Come on that is ridiculous. Granted you learn fundementals, although playing against men right away is looked at as a posotive for international players but not of our own home grown?

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think it's too early to start judging such young players. The players you mentioned with the exception of Darko Milicic weren't top picks of the draft. Why shouldn't teams risk and with a pick under 20 take a player from HS or a young European prospect. That's probably better than picking average college seniors who are limited because with players of 18 years of age you can do a lot because you can't tell what are their limits. With a player of 23 you can't do huge improvement (of corse there are players who can but players like that are in the top ten picks). And picking Lang was not such a bad move, what player could they pick with No48 who would bring something new to their game. And I that Milicic will in time become an all-star, and so will Lampe. Travis Outlaw could be another good non-lottery pick for Portland after Randolph and O'Neal who needed time to develop.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Jumping to the pros is a risk some of these guys have to take. True, some of them may not be ready for the NBA, but then again... do THEY know that? You have to also consider the fact that some of these guys might not cut it academically at a Division 1 college, or may not like school. It's as simple as that.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
You also have to put yourself in their shoes. If you are a superstud 18 year old HS athletic freak and you can either become a guaranteed millionaire and play in front of 15,000 people every night or you can go to college and live in a dorm and risk injury. Yes, going to the league is a risk, but going to school (career-wise) is a risk also.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JazzMan</b>!
Unless you are the next LeBron James, STAY IN SCHOOL!

Here’s how this year’s preps-to-pros have got on:

#1 LeBron James: 20.9 PPG 5.8 RPG 5.6 APG
#2 Darko Milicic: 48 mins 0.9 PPG 0.7 RPG 1.1 PFPG
#23 Travis Outlaw: 11 mins 0.6PPG 0.3 RPG
#26 Ndudi Ebi: 31 mins 0.8PPG 0.2RPG 0.4PFPG
#27 Kendrick Perkins: 15 mins 2PPG 1RPG 1PFPG
#30 Maciej Lampe: 23mins 2PPG 1RPG 1.3PFPG
#34 Sofoklis Schortsianitis: Tipped as lottery pick, but left overseas to mature
#48 James Lang: Cut by Hornets without playing a game

That’s 168 minutes between 5 players in 50 games. And there’s a reason for it.

Let’s not forget Kwame Brown, who has developed very slowly, although to his credit he is starting to look useful. And DeSagana Diop who fits into the same category, though he is a vastly different kind of player.

OK, my first advice was a little harsh. Jermaine O’Neal has exceeded expectations, Rashard Lewis is an excellent player too. But apart from the players everyone expected to be superstars (KG, Kobe, Tmac) few have yet amounted to much.

Why spend 2 years on the bench when you could be playing games and gaining experience? And franchises, why risk a green youngster when you could take a more-developed and experienced graduate?

Obviously money is part of the answer, and who can blame the youngsters of today for taking the chance at 18, but even 1 year of college could do you a load of good.

Final Conclusion: Off all current HSers, only Dwight Howard should be taking part in the 2004 NBA draft.
tell that to jermaine, tracy, kobe, KG, rashard lewis. YOu wanna tell me what their stats were midway through their rookie year??? Everyone thinks they're the next LeBron James, before LeBron there wasnt even a guy who came out of HS this good so fast in the last few decades. LeBron set the bar, whats to say another kid out there might not?? get back to me when you get back those stats of the players i listed at the midway break of their rookie season.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Most of these live in the ghetto, they have not lived a very pretty childhood.... they need the $$$ to get their parents financail assistance and assistance for themselves.

Of course lately you have been seein more and more ballers from the Burbs ala Lebron, Dwight, Morris etc etc

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
The high schoolers who flop in the NBA, likely would have been nothing great in college and probably not have got drafted. And even if they had went to college probably would have gotten some half assed diploma.

Yep, that's smart - let's pass up on $3m guaranteed so I can ride on buses after my college career.

·
Registered
104 Posts
High School Kids Rookie Seasone Stats

Kevin Garnett
G GS MPG FG 3 FT OF DEF RPG AP STL BLK PPG
80 43 28.7 .491 .286 .705 2.20 4.10 6.30 1.8 1.08 1.64 10.4

Jermaine Oneil
45 0 10.2 .451 .000 .603 .90 1.90 2.80 .2 .04 .58 4.1

Rashard Lewis
20 7 7.3 .365 .167 .571 .70 .60 1.30 .2 .40 .05 2.4

Tracy McGrady
64 17 18.4 .450 .341 .712 1.60 2.60 4.20 1.5 .77 .95 7.0

Kobe Bryant
71 6 15.5 .417 .375 .819 .70 1.20 1.90 1.3 .69 .32 7.6

Eddy Curry
CHI 72 31 16.0 .501 .000 .656 1.50 2.20 3.80 .3 .22 .74 6.7

Tyson Chandler
71 31 19.6 .497 .000 .604 1.60 3.20 4.80 .8 .39 1.31 6.1

Kwame Brown
57 3 14.3 .387 .000 .707 1.10 2.40 3.50 .8 .28 .46 4.5

Al Harrington
21 0 7.6 .321 .000 .600 1.00 .90 1.90 .2 .19 .10 2.1

Deshawn Stevenson
40 2 7.3 .341 .083 .684 .20 .50 .70 .5 .25 .05 2.2

Amare Stoudamire
82 71 31.3 .472 .200 .661 3.00 5.70 8.80 1.0 .76 1.06 13.5

Stephen Jackson
77 40 21.6 .425 .335 .719 .50 2.20 2.70 1.8 1.12 .18 8.2

Lebron"King"James
46 46 40.2 .412 .291 .760 1.40 4.40 5.80 5.9 1.46 .67 20.9

Notice any patterns here? Every one of these kids has the potential to be an all star. If you look at each of these highschoolers it is pretty clear that all they need is minutes to grow and learn the NBA game at there own pace. Maybe even the college game can hurt some players growth such as these monster Centers and Power fowards that are coming to the League now. I feel it is important to the growth of the "True Centers" to play against players there own size and develope a post game offense and defense at an early age. Apparently its helped 3 out of the 4 wing players that made the jump as well.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
It can take a while for some of these guys, but look at Al Harrington and Rashard Lewis... they're becoming first rate players. Even Kwame Brown is showing signs that he's going to become a player. I've seen DeShawn Stevenson a few times this season and he's really emerging. Is there any High School player who has been in the league for a longer time and not become a good player?

Maybe even Eddy Curry can become a player. I think Diop is.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by <b>BagFullOTreez</b>!
So your trying to tell me if your a rebuilding franchise you wouldn't give one of these kids a chance to grow into your franchise player.
Out of this year's bunch, I would only have taken LeBron, Darko or Lampe in the first round. If you're not good enough to go in the first round, I think you may be better off in college (assuming you have the academic ability). James Lang has little to show for taking the risk.

How many of these kids are going to be superstars or are superstars. Jermaine Oneal, Al Harrington, Rashard Lewis, Kevin Garnett, Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, Eddy Curry, Ty Chandler, Kwame Brown..... Deshawn Stevenson is even does his thing in Utah, and D.Miles is still young(when he was in LAC everyone was loving him). I dont think its just by accident that these kids all contribute.
True. But I think most of the group you mentioned were expected to be very good. I'm not sure that Kendrick Perkins and James Lang were such certs.
So are you trying to tell me that if Lenny Cook, Lang or any of those kids went to college that they would be the superstars they were projected to be in the League right now? Come on that is ridiculous.
I never said that. My point is that if you are not good enough to play in the league RIGHT NOW, you shouldn't be in the LEAGUE right now, unless you display the kind of widely agreed potential shown by Darko and Lampe. RIGHT NOW, Perkins is of little or no value to the Celtics, Sure he has potential, and I think there is a good chance of him becoming useful, but if I were a GM I would not use a first round pick on such a risk.

Originally posted by <b>ivo krka</b>!
I think it's too early to start judging such young players.
The players you mentioned with the exception of Darko Milicic weren't top picks of the draft.
I'm not meaning to judge the players. Who wouldn't jump at the chance in their position? But if they are not top picks, it is for a reason. This years crop of players are getting far less minutes than any of the players listed by BagFullOTreez. Those players were obviously good enough to justify some minutes straightaway. This year's are really struggling.

·
Registered
515 Posts
But if they are not top picks, it is for a reason.
When I said that they weren't top picks I wanted to say that it's not such a huge loss of a pick because they lost under 20 picks. They probably couldn't pick a player who could help their franchise immediately at that stage. So they took a chance. And by the way Harrington, Lewis and Stevenson weren't top picks either. And today we can see that there aren't many players picked under them who are today better than they are.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
FIRST OF ALL, I don't know where you have all gotten you information but KWAME BROWN DID NOT ENTER THE NBA OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL, he went to Junior College for 2 years then was drafted by the Celtics. Please don't lump him with the HS kids because he's not nearly as talented as most of them are.
2nd of All, Kendrick Perkins, is actually even BETTER than the Celtics thought he was when they drafted him. He has VERY MUCH impressed the coaches in practice and they project him as the Celtics future starting Center. Why is he not playing this year, well first because none of our young guys are because our coaches don't want to face the facts that we will not make the playoffs this year. Also because they have had him on a fitness program to turn fat into muscle, which has turned him into a quite muscular kid now which was the Celts main focus for him this year, given his age they WANT to bring him along slowly.

I'm all for college, I'm all for kids staying is school, but the fact is that if you are gonna be a 1st round pick, even if it's the last pick of the round, you have to come out now. If you don't your stock could drop or you could get injured and you will never see that money.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
LMAO, if you get a 1st round guarantee...go pro. I don't care if it is the last pick in the 1st round. Nothing in college can beat that money. Anyone else who wants to hail the virtues of college, put up the $$$ for the kid to pass up the money. I have seen many a player ruined in college. I can't think of many HS to NBA players who didn't perform up to the expectaions of their draft position.

See it is not about them becoming superstars. We shouldn't expect every HSer to become LeBron , Kobe, or KG just like we don't expect every college senior to become Tim Duncan.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Originally posted by <b>whiterhino</b>!
FIRST OF ALL, I don't know where you have all gotten you information but KWAME BROWN DID NOT ENTER THE NBA OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL, he went to Junior College for 2 years then was drafted by the Celtics.
Pretty freaking hilarious that you would have all this emphasis when the player you are clearly talking about is Kedrick Brown, not KWAME Brown.

Kwame came out of Brunswick, GA in 2001. Kedrick came out of JUCO.

The funny thing is Kedrick played for your team and you don't even know his name. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.