Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly, Zach Randolph's numbers have dropped off too much. Sure he gets 21 and 11, but we're a losing team and his Efficiency has dropped from 3rd in the NBA to 11th in NBA over the last month. He has two weeks to change the coaches' minds, but right now, this is how I see it going down:

WEST

Starters- Shaq, KG, Duncan, Kobe, Francis

Reserves- Cassell, Ray Allen, Yao, Brad Miller, Dirk, Kirilenko, Peja.

If someone can't play due to injury, these players could be asked to replace them:

Center- Dampier; PF- Brand, Randolph, Gasol; SF- Walker, Marion; SG- Maggette; PG- Bibby, Andre Miller

EAST

Starters- Wallace, O'Neal, Carter, Iverson, McGrady

Reserves- Kidd, Baron, Pierce, Redd, Boozer, Kenyon, Z

This sucks, cuz LeBron deserves it over Vince Carter. I could see Artest making it over Redd since the Pacers have the best record in the league. If I can count Boozer as the backup C, I'd give LeBron Z's spot. There can only be so many Cavs on the All Star team.

Possible subs for injury then are LeBron, Artest, Marbury, Marshall, Odom, Jefferson.

There you go. What do you all think?

Go Blazers

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Regarding Ray Allen- SOMEONE has to be the backup shooting guard. Ray Allen has played sensational basketball since he came back. The only other choices are Spree, Finley, Manu, and Maggette.

As for Zach- Yes, you can average those numbers and not make the All Star team. Esp in the West. Remember, he can't be the back up C, PG, or SG. Both Brad Miller and Yao WILL make the team. So that makes for TWO back up Cs. That leaves THREE spots for Zach. Peja is definitely in. Dirk and Kirilenko are playing better all around games and winning. Brand is playing better than Zach too.

Zach's turnovers, lack of blocks, falling shooting %, and losing all work against him. Zach may be the 11th best player in the NBA, but that don't put him on the All Star team out West. Remember- Zach has better stats than Kobe, Francis, and even Shaq, but those guys have to be on the team. Plus, I explained that there has to be backup PG and SG.

If he had the same numbers out East, he'd beat out both Boozer and Kenyon Martin for the All Star team. But he's not out East.

You can't pick Zach ahead of Dirk or Kirilenko, in my opinion. Those guys are simply having a better season.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If we start winning, and he turned it back on, Zach would have a chance to beat out Kirilenko, no question.

If the team was picked today, though, Zach can't make it. There's no room.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NathanLane</b>!
Sadly, Zach Randolph's numbers have dropped off too much. Sure he gets 21 and 11, but we're a losing team and his Efficiency has dropped from 3rd in the NBA to 11th in NBA over the last month. He has two weeks to change the coaches' minds, but right now, this is how I see it going down:

WEST

Starters- Shaq, KG, Duncan, Kobe, Francis

Reserves- Cassell, Ray Allen, Yao, Brad Miller, Dirk, Kirilenko, Peja.

There you go. What do you all think?

Go Blazers
You put Kirilinko in, but not Randolph. Let's examine why:

Zach's stats have slid to 21 and 11 you say.
But Kirilinko is only getting 16 and 8.

Zach's efficiency has dropped to 11th in the league.
Kirilinko's is 40th.

Brand doesn't deserve to be a reserve even if half the team declines to play.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fork- that is incorrect

Kirilenko's Efficiency is 9th best in the NBA.

Kirilenko is currently the only player in the HISTORY OF THE GAME to be ranked in the top 3 in both steals and blocks. He also gets 3.3 assists a game.

There's more to this game than points and rebounds. Oh yeah, Kirilenko has won more games with less talent around him.

Kirilenko is more deserving than Zach right now. I don't see how you can argue otherwise unless you do what you did and just flat out ignore 50% of the facts.

As for Elton Brand, he happens to be ranked #2 in the NBA in Efficiency. His stats= 19.7 ppg, 12.2 rpg, 3.3 apg, 2.19 bpg, 53% FGs. It's no contest. He's wayyyyy better than Zach.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,473 Posts
The teams I would select:

West

Guard: Kobe Bryant
Guard: Sam Cassell
Forward: Kevin Garnett
Forward: Tim Duncan
Center: Shaquille O'Neal

Reserves: Andrei Kirilenko, Yao Ming, Zach Randolph, Steve Nash, Gary Payton, Pedrag Stojakovic, Brad Miller

East

Guard: Stephon Marbury
Guard: Tracy McGrady
Forward: LeBron James
Forward: Jermaine O'Neal
Center: Ben Wallace

Reserves: Allen Iverson, Jason Kidd, Paul Pierce, Baron Davis, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Michael Redd, Shareef Abdur-Rahim

They are almost entirely by merit, except for my inclusion of James as a starter. I believe he merits making the team, but he's not good enough just yet to start. But a big part of the All-Star game is to celebrate the fun and excitement of the sport, and James plays beautiful, exciting basketball and can provide as much of a star turn as anyone.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
As for Elton Brand, he happens to be ranked #2 in the NBA in Efficiency. His stats= 19.7 ppg, 12.2 rpg, 3.3 apg, 2.19 bpg, 53% FGs. It's no contest. He's wayyyyy better than Zach.
Elton Brand has been hurt WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too much this year to be an all star.

I don't care what his efficiency ranking is...when a guy has only played 25 games, he doesn't deserve to be an all star.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!
I'd put Gary Payton on that list over Ray Allen.
GP hasn't exactly been lighting it up this year, he's what 14, 3 and 6 ? :uhoh:

Ray Allen is putting up roughly 23, 5 and 5. Sure he hasn't played as many games, but his numbers would make him the best SG in the west. Kobe will get the start due to fan votes, but I think Ray should be on the reserves.

The guards should be: Kobe + Francis (I think they lead the voting). With Cassell and Allen as the reserves.

The fowards will most likely be KG and Duncan starting. Stojakovic will be in and either Kirilenko/Brand/Randolph/B. Miller.

The centers will be Yao and Shaq.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Scinos</b>!
The fowards will most likely be KG and Duncan starting. Stojakovic will be in and either Kirilenko/Brand/Randolph/B. Miller.
KG, Duncan and Peja for sure at forwards. I agree with Fork above...Brand hasn't played very many games to deserve an all-star spot. Z-Bo is one of only five players to average 20 and 10. The others are Shaq, KG, Duncan, and I think Jermaine O'Neal.
Z-Bo deserves to go for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't have Brand making the team.

How can you pick Z-Bo over Kirilenko or Dirk???

They are both having better seasons, no matter how you look at it. 20 and 10 isn't everything. Look at what Kirilenko is doing defensively. It's HISTORICAL. And look at Dirk's overall line. It's better than Z-Bo's, period. I would LOVE Z-Bo to make the team. But Dirk and Kirilenko are more deserving.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NathanLane</b>!
How can you pick Z-Bo over Kirilenko or Dirk???

They are both having better seasons, no matter how you look at it. 20 and 10 isn't everything. Look at what Kirilenko is doing defensively. It's HISTORICAL. And look at Dirk's overall line. It's better than Z-Bo's, period. I would LOVE Z-Bo to make the team. But Dirk and Kirilenko are more deserving.
Why not have Z-Bo over AK47 or Dirk? I don't think it's so far out in right field for that to happen. 20 and 10 isn't everything but it is not very common is it? I actually think AK47 deserves a spot. However, I don't think Dirk should go over Z-Bo. How did you come to that conclusion? Doesn't Z-Bo score more points and get more rebounds than Dirk? And Dirk doesn't play that good of defense to be a major factor.

·
Registered
259 Posts
With reserves being the coach's choice I don't see any way Zach would be picked over kirilenko. ak47 has such a polished well rounded game and does exactly what jerry sloan wants, so i think he'll be rewarded with a spot on the all-star team. I would also love to see someone playing some tight defense out there too, disrupting fast-breaks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.