Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've become resigned to the idea that Rasheed will probably be dealt soon. With all of the trade proposals being thrown around, I decided to come up with a set of criteria for me to evaluate any Wallace trade proposals. I'll be refering to these whenever I evaluate your ideas (and mine). After all, even in the worst case scenario, Wallace walks away at the end of the year, and Portland gets $17 million savings towards the 2005 building project. In other words, there are MANY trades that are worse for the Blazers than not making any trade at all.

So, here's my criteria:

Any trade involving Wallace should

(a) Obtain a superstar player at any position

or

(b) Fulfill any two of the following goals
- Obtain a true SF
- Significantly upgrade the PG position
- Significantly upgrade the C position
- Obtain one (predicted) high-to-mid level 1st round draft pick or multiple picks at any level

or

(c) Fulfill one of the goals listed in (b), AND improve the cap situation of the team in 2005

Comments?

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
I think those are fair enough. I try to consider the Blazers 3 stated goals as best as I can. Obviously in likelyhod one of the 3 is likely to be compromised in any deal.

Character
Trim Salary
Remain Competitive

To me the competitiveness doesn't necessarily translate to right now but could bring in youth that could impact the teams success in the next year or 2.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Gotta like it... those are great ideas...

a scoring SF... :banana:

one of my favorite thoughts for our team

Upgrade the PG and C spots as well :rock:

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
You know what's tough? Is the salary issue. I don't want to see Sheed walk for nothing. Also I don't want to see the team handcuff itself with long contracts. So we are put in a temporary fix scenario, unlees we take an ugly short contract and a promising young player, which IMO is not likely, as most promising young players are on up and coming teams, not teams looking for the huge cap relief.

If we go for established good talents we are left with a big contract or a guy that could be a temporary fix. Unless we can get a temporary fix and a young prospect in which case the prospect may not pan out. but that may be better than letting Sheed go altogether.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
My only fear about the contracts would be what happen with Brain Grant for Kemp. I don't see us having that problem if this trade was to go down, but we wouldn't be trimming any fat off the payroll.

My biggest question is, Would Portland be more attractive to FA's with the Dallas trade going down or does it even matter to them? Portland has a rep now and is that going to keep the better FA's from looking at Portland?

I'm still on the fence with the Dallas trade.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts