Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sign Tyson and Eddy to 4 year extensions, then split MLE between Duhon and Oberto and then use vet exception on a veteran SG ala Raja Bell. Also bring back Griffin on a one year deal

Hinrich,Duhon
Gordon,Bell,Pike
Deng,Nocioni,Griffin
Chandler,Oberto
Curry,Davis

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Here's mine.

1. resign Harrington (we have rights)
2. Split MLE between Devin Brown and Duhon
3. Draft Julius Hodge of NC State in 2nd

Chandler
Curry'
Deng
Hinrich
Brown

Harrington
Noce
Davis
Gordon
Duhon

Hodge
Pike
Reiner
Pargo

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Could you imagine Raja and Noch on the second unit?

Bunch crazed dogs.... I like it.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Hustle said:
Here's mine.

1. resign Harrington (we have rights)
2. Split MLE between Devin Brown and Duhon
3. Draft Julius Hodge of NC State in 2nd

Chandler
Curry'
Deng
Hinrich
Brown

Harrington
Noce
Davis
Gordon
Duhon

Hodge
Pike
Reiner
Pargo
I doubt Julius Hodge will last to the second round...and we don't have a pick anyway even a second rounder.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I know we don't have 2nd Rounder but I think we could get one, one way or another.

Pax is going to have to be creative to get us one or two big SG's.

I highly doubt we get quality like Bell with vet min.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
It depends who all enters the draft

S. Williams
Reddick
M. Williams
McCants
May
Felton

Out of the ACC alone will be picked ahead of Hodge. I think he also be edged out by

Jack
Gilchrest

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Well, let's look at who we've got under contract already and what we might expect their minutes (ideally based on where they are most effective at) to be. I'm assuming we retain Curry and Chandler. If we don't, pretty much everything we've done is out the window anyway.

It's probably something like:

1- Kirk 34, Need to fill 14 min
2- Ben 30, Lou 4 Need to fill 14 min
3- Lou 28, Noc 20
4- Chandler, 16 Davis 16, Need to fill 16 min
5- Curry 32, Chandler 16

* Need to fill 36 minutes total

* We've got Duhon and Harrington as our own FAs of note. Whatever we sign up Duhon for cuts into our MLE or VE.

* We can also fill up some of those minutes, maybe (and I'm only talking about average minutes in a rotation here) by playing Noc more at the 4 and Lou more at the 2, potentially.

* We can probably open up more minutes at the two if we feel comfortable with Ben playing at the one, but to do that we need to find a big guy who can defend well but who has some PG handle. That's probably not very likely.

* Likewise, we can open up more minutes at the 1 by having Kirk play the 2 a bit. He's been pretty good at that this year, at least defensively.

* We probably want to think about chemistry in terms of how we END games, not how we start them. That is, our likely finishers will be Kirk, Ben, Lou and Chandler. The fifth guy is currently one of Davis, Harrington, or Curry, and it projects to be Curry in the long-run. That means that whoever we bring in needs to be comfortable with sitting at the end of games, at least in the long run. We know this is probably true of Harrington and Davis.

* We need to think about what we do with Davis at the end of his deal. More likely than not, he can and will fade out and if we re-sign Harrington he should be counted on to play more. If we sign up some other big, there needs to be a going in understanding with where he and Othella sit. Othella appears to be content to do whatever is told, but I'd say this:
- It makes little sense to overpay him to be the 5th big in the rotation. If we bring in a guy like Marshall, you have a surplus of bigs if you pay Othella much and then you also have Davis.
- On the other hand, if you know Davis is done after this year, maybe you keep around Othella as a longer run proposition because you know he becomes the 4th guy in the rotation as Davis fades.
- Or maybe you keep him as the 4th guy now and bring in a longer run replacement for Davis who can sit now (like Oberto). The problem there is you don't get that big guy like Marshall who can open up space for other players.

But again, if you get a guy like Marshall, you have to be willing to pay him significant money to, in the longer run, be on the bench at the end of games. And he has to be willing to do that. (That's also true if you trade Davis for a guy like Raef LaFrentz).

In the backcourt, the basic question is whether and what you can commit to Duhon when you've got Ben and Kirk. If he's comfortable being Earl Watson to Ben and Kirk's Jason Williams (judging by the shooting, if not the defense, that's not a bad comparison), then you give him the backup minutes on average, and you continue to hope you can match up with Kirk, Lou, and Ben (mostly) taking the 2 guard minutes. I'm comfortable with that... those are going to be the guys on the court at the end of games in any case. Yeah, you want to find a guy who can defend the hell out of someone for 15 or 20 minutes a night when needed, but there are lots of guys who can do that; spending top dollar for a Raja Bell (bet he gets a big chunk of the MLE) when the next Raja Bell is out there waiting to be discovered (maybe its Dahntay Jones or Maurice Evans?).

When I look at everything, I figure Duhon can be had to a multi-year deal starting at around $1.5M That fits in the veteran exception. Harrington probably gets the $3 to $4M he gets now, and we don't need our exception to do it. He gets a 3 year plus deal and constitutes our primary backup as we Davis fades.

With the MLE, we split it amongst a younger big (Oberto) and a guy who can defend but be content to not get huge minutes. You try and play Noc or Deng at the 4 a little bit to open up space for Curry to operate. If you find that's not gonna work you can angle a trade of AD's expiring deal for a bigger name down the road.

1- Kirk 30, Chris 18
2- Ben 30, Lou 4, Kirk 4, Trent Hassle Clone 10
3- Lou 28, Noc 20
4- Chandler, 16 Davis 16, Harrington 16, Oberto
5- Curry 32, Chandler 16

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
Mikedc said:
1- Kirk 30, Ben 18
2- Ben 30, Lou 4, Kirk 4, Trent Hassle Clone 10
3- Lou 28, Noc 20
4- Chandler, 16 Davis 16, Harrington 16, Oberto
5- Curry 32, Chandler 16
Assuming you meant the back-up PG minutes to go to Duhon? Nice break-down.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
We must sign Oberto to a 3 year deal, thats for sure!

He is a very good basketball player and one of the best in Europe right now. Having him, Noc, Gordon among others coming off the bench would be amazing.
Basically, Oberto is a FA after this season so we wouldnt need to pay (or help to) his buyout. Chapu would feel more comfortable and make Fabricio's transition much easier.

Then bring a big athletic 2-guard.

Then, call it an offseason (Obviously, we should re-sign Tyson, Eddy and Du).

·
Registered
2,112 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another thing to consider in all this is that Paxson wants some available money for the summer of 2006 for some reason. What I don't know. Having said that I suspect Harrington will not be back. I just have this hunch someone overpays for him. And with us paying Tyson and Eddy he will not want to give Thella much. Oberto splitting MLE with a Hassell clone as you call it does make a lot of sense. But I wonder if we will not just see Oberto and Duhon signed along with bringing back Griffin. Then have more flexibility the next summer for whatever it is he has planned(I continue to hear Peja whispers including someone who actually told me that Paxson wants Peja to come here and is setting things up for that to happen financially this came from a columnist in Chicago not named Sam Smith)

S

·
0 Posts
Basghetti80 said:
Sign Tyson and Eddy to 4 year extensions, then split MLE between Duhon and Oberto and then use vet exception on a veteran SG ala Raja Bell. Also bring back Griffin on a one year deal

Hinrich,Duhon
Gordon,Bell,Pike
Deng,Nocioni,Griffin
Chandler,Oberto
Curry,Davis
My ideal offseason? Having the Bulls get the above recommended roster done, and personally getting a hummer from a Swedish model everyday...

THAT would be ideal...

·
Registered
307 Posts
What about Anthony Parker at Macabi for a big SG? He may not end up the starter by the end of the season but we could probably get him for $2.5 mil or so. He could also back up at SF.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts