Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Big 12 is down this year. No question it isn't anywhere near what it has been in the past 3-5 years. It is much younger and doesn't have as much talent. But I just want to focus on Kansas.

3 problems I see.

1) No go to guy! Hinrich and Collison always stepped up. Sometimes one didn't show up but he other was always there to back him up. Simien and Langford are the ones that need to show up. Miles is a leader but he just isn't a reliable player when it comes to scoring. Simien was aggressive Sunday against Colorado and I think that was a big reason for such a great start. Langford can score from anywhere on the court. He has improved his outside shooting good enough to be effective.

2) No outside shooting. Yes Langford has improved but he isn't that great outside shooter that we need. Giddens can become that but first he needs to work on his slashing ability. If he improves that then teams will have to worry about both and won't be able to guard him just to take away his outside shooting. Lee has been injured but has been much more inconsistent then he was last year. Miles will never be even a decent outside shooter. Hawkins shoots the outside shot too much.

3) Not enough running. We need to get out and run more. I remember when we would get a rebound and a split second later it would be on the move. But with Self we seem to slow it down so much that it takes us 5-7 seconds to get past the half-court line. I have noticed many times when Miles wants to push it but hesitates and just walks the ball up the court. Miles has to push it!

I think we keep our starting line-up as it is. Let Padgett and Lee come off the bench. We get better offense with Giddens and Graves is a much better rebounder than Padgett in my opinion. Graves must think when he plays. He still tries to block every shot and fouls the hell out of the shooter. Padgett must get stronger. He just gets pushed around with ease by the other team. Giddens must improve his defense and become a better ball-handler. He needs to learn to slash to the basket. He stays on that perimeter worse than any player I have seen. I could live with him getting in the lane and just putting up a little shot. He doesn't need to finish with flare. Langford and Simien's biggest problems are staying aggressive. Langford needs to demand the ball more and Simien needs to try harder to get that ball in the post. Miles has been are best player. I think he needs to continue to drive to the basket and be a playmaker like he has been.

I think we will inprove as the season goes on as long as Simien and Langford stay aggressive like they did in the Colorado game. For the first time since the Michigan State game I actually enjoyed watching Kansas play in the first half of the Colorado game (I had to leave for the second half).

·
The Bilson = Jayhawk Love
6,884 Posts
good post.

1. Graves - yeah it's weird to see him playing so good this year maybe the best for him was that roy left.

2. no go to guy - yeah that kinda stinks, but Simen is getting there, he needs to stay one more year.

3. No three point shooting - well Miles is shooting but that's not going to keep up, they need someone else to step up.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it was actually bad for Graves that Roy left. Roy was starting to become really high on Graves. But when Self came it was a clean slate and that was not a good thing for Graves.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yeah, I agree. I don't see Simien emerging as a go-to guy though. He has been easily shut down by the majority of teams we've faced, and completely taken out of the game by the more quality teams (Richmond and Stanford). I also don't see Langford being the go-to guy. Although he's playing the best out of anybody that can be considered a legitimate scoring threat, he does not fare well at all against taller players, which he faces a lot playing at the 2 and sometimes 3. Plus, his shooting is not nearly what it needs to be for him to be a go-to type player at his size.

I think KU will have to concentrate on running their offense and never ever letting Hawkins shoot or Lee get in a decision-making situation. The best they can do come clutch-time is hope Miles gets lucky.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Langford has improved his outside touch. But I badly wanted that ball in Langford's hands on our last offensive possession in the Richmond game.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
The Big 12 is down this year. No question it isn't anywhere near what it has been in the past 3-5 years. It is much younger and doesn't have as much talent. But I just want to focus on Kansas.
The top 3 teams are down, but the bottom-tier teams are up...I mean Nebraska, Iowa State, Colorado, KState all give you a good game and can easily beat one of the top teams...even Baylor or A&M can beat some people this year...

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Good post, however.

True we do not have a go to guy every game. Each game we have a new go to guy. Simien or Langford needs to be the goto guy. Next year, it could very be Giddens as the go to guy.

Three pointers are down. Really the only consistent shooters are Giddens and Lee. Langford shows he can shoot from the outside. Hawkins has been down since the TCU game. I fee the two best three pointer shooters are on the bench b/c of how deep we are in the guard position. Jerm Case and Omar Wikes

I agree that Kansas should do the run and gun more often, however, Self has his own type of set plays, and he needs to instill that in. Kansas does run when they take a turn over. when it comes to half court offense, set plays, then they will slow it down with the hi-low offense that Self wants to do, but if they make a defense stop, they do run.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts