Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the pleasure, or should I say misfortune, of attending tonight's game against the Suns. My seats wear center court, 7 rows up. That's about as good as it got for me. The Bulls, despite what the score may indicate, were horrible. Most of the night they looked lost on offense and worse on D. With the exception of Rose and Marshall and an occassional contribution from Fizer, the Bulls looked like they had never played the game before. I'd guess 80% of the Suns point in the first half came off of dunks or uncontested lay ups.

JC had the perfect opportunity to make a case for the starting position with JWill sitting out and he couldn't have played any worse. He missed wide open shot after shot, made several errant passes, had several turnovers, and got shook a couple of times in the process. Clearly the worse game I've ever seen him play in his young NBA career.

Curry was in foul trouble from the 1st minute of the game. Within the 1st 5 mins he had picked up 3 ticky-tack stupid fouls trying to guard Jake I. He sat out the remainder of the 1st half and then proceeded to pick up his 4th and last foul of the night 30 secs into the 2nd half. Bags replaced him for a while, but looked nasty as usual. Blount played respectably, but was clearly outmatched my Jake I and Amare. Donyell even played Center for a several minutes.

Aside from Rose (and possibly Fizer), Marshall was the only bright spot for the Bulls. He was the recipient of several give-and-go plays with Rose and Fizer even had a couple of feeds down low to DM. Where Donyell helped the most was with rebounding and D. Donyell grabbed several rebounds that kept the Bulls from being slaughtered by a very weak Western Conference Team.

Once again ERob couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and got taken to rack several times trying to defend.

All and all the Bulls played really poorly. Luckily the Suns didn't play well either. Watch out for this Amare kid. He can ball. He's raw and needs to work on his outside shot, but he's an explosive leaper and slams with authority. He's also a pretty good passer for a big man. Another one of his strong suits is his D. He defends the post very well for a guy just out of high school.

One other thing I noticed is that Cartright has no clue as to what he's doing. Late in the game when the Bulls were up by 7 and the Phoenix had just come back to take the lead. Cartright called timeout and then proceeded to stand about 20 ft away from the players for the entire timeout. Then after they buzzed them to get out on the court, Cartright rushed over with his clipboard. Like he was standing there thinking of something to say. I still don't understand why didn't use Curry going down the stretch. The guy had two more fouls to use. Does Bill think that he can bank them for a rainy day? I swear sometime Cartright frustrates the Hell out of me.

The offense look enemic. Any team with a decent defense would have destroyed us. It was either a static stand-around pass the ball around the perimeter offense or the silly motion offense that hardly ever works. If it wasn't for Rose and Mashall, the Bulls would have been lucky to score 50 pts. All Cartright could do is stand there with that ridiculous looking mustard yellow zuit suit and scowl at the refs and the players.

If the Bulls play even close to the way they played tonight ... it's going to be a long season!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Wow.

Can't read that in a box score.

A lot of people here will probably be happy with such a close road loss. Obviously stats do not tell the whole story.

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
I don't doubt your analysis but did the offense really look anemic during that 22-5 run over about 8 minutes of the fourth quarter?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by <b>gettinbranded</b>!
"Once again" about ERobs short preseason? :confused:

How did he get the six assists?
Assists are like rebounds, they can be very misleading. An assist to a cutter for a easy bucket holds a lot more weight (in my book) that a two foot pass to Jalen on the perimeter where he nails a three. Jalen, Donyells, and Marcus' assist were pure assists. ERob maybe had one legitimate assist (as I've defined it).

Same goes for rebounds. When guys like Michael Ruffin or Bags get rebs from their own missed shots, the rebounding stat is very misleading.

All and all, it's the quality of the assists and/or rebounds that is the compelling factor.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by <b>ScottMay</b>!
I don't doubt your analysis but did the offense really look anemic during that 22-5 run over about 8 minutes of the fourth quarter?
True, there was a stretch of about 3 mins where the Bulls looked strong. However, I'm not sure whether that can be attributed to the Bulls good play, or the Suns weak play.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts