Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, Ive watched as many games this year as possible. However to hear all this talk about next season and the drarft I just wanted to give my two cents as I usually dont post much.

First of all, like everyone else I think the raptors defense is terrible, infact I think its worse then that, its absolutly brutal. And as much as its not the coaching staff fault, in a way it is. Think of it, mo Pete every night guards teh best opposing player, whether it be Nash , a PG or Carter, a three guard. So almost immediatly that limits Mike James and what he can do with his limited defense on opposistion much bigger then him. The problem on the defensive end, which is obvious to every raptor fan, is that they have no even decent post defenders. Points in the paint against the raptors is ridiculous every game. For example tonight I saw Barrett guarding Diaw... Diaw, a guy who is uaually set to guard people like Yao, and Garnett, is being guarded by a 5'10 barrett.

The draft seems to be a big topic of discussion, I'm excited as always, but I dont see itbeing that beneficial to the raptors. There likely to pick in the 7-10 region and at that point in the draft can they really afford to take the risk???? If I were BC Id be looking to trade down, perhaps attempting to put a package together for perkins from boston. Its just I cant imagine many people worth the risk of taking at the point the raptors pick.

Thats all I can think of saying right now, any responses are appreciated.

Steve

· Registered
1,519 Posts
The Raptors' defence isn't actually that bad when the players on the court actually try to play defence. Unfortunately, 90% of the time, they don't. Why that is, I don't know. I'm not saying that they're not playing any defence whatsoever, but the type of defence most of them do play is the kind that doesnt really make much of a difference. Maybe the players are afraid that spending energy on playing defence will limit their offence. That's kind of ridiculous when you look at players like Artest and Peterson who often guard the best offensive player on the opposing team and still have good offensive outputs. Maybe one of the coaches can say to the players, "If you don't play defense, you're not allowed to shoot the ball." Maybe that might get them to start trying on defense.

I didn't catch much of the game, but regarding your point about Barrett guarding Diaw, are you sure it wasn't just some well-executed offensive play by Phoenix that caused the odd matchup?

· Registered
259 Posts
anniebananerz said:
The Raptors' defence isn't actually that bad when the players on the court actually try to play defence. Unfortunately, 90% of the time, they don't. Why that is, I don't know.
Simple answer, Coaching. Sam is the worst coach I've ever seen, you can blame the players all you want but everything falls onto the coach.

· Registered
1,734 Posts
Marshall_42 said:
Simple answer, Coaching. Sam is the worst coach I've ever seen, you can blame the players all you want but everything falls onto the coach.
actually, i wouldn't blame the coach cause we've been in a lot of close games right down to the wire. think about it, we're 1-8 in OT, and we're prob like 6-20 with games that were won within 5 points or less. lookin at the games we lost, it's clear that there were juss mental mistakes made by our players (sometimes mike james, sometimes bosh) where they force the issue. both of these guys are competitors, and they want to win. i bet u 9 times out of 10, the coach draws some sort of pick and roll play to win it, but mike james always dribbles it a tad 2 long, and it gets screwed up.

· Banned
597 Posts
It's evaluation time ... and Brian Colangelo has probably asked Mitchell to use as many players as possible to see what they have. With Bosh's season-ending injury, the rest of the players must step up their play to show to BC what they have to offer.

Just watch the Raptors and enjoy the game regardless of the outcome. Rebuilding time became a serious reality once they hired BC. The Raptors are Colangelo's team now, and reality is that you can't create a winner in one or two seasons because assembling a good team is a long-term project.

Raptors + 4 years = current Phoenix Suns ...... believe it .... !!!!

· Registered
1,390 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.