Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you will hate me for this. And I understand the concept of giving a young player time to learn from his mistakes.

But to WIN games, based on what I've been watching (and I watch every game), this is the team I think we should start:

PG- Jeff McInnis (and you guys know I'm one of the biggest Damon supporters)

SG- Derek Anderson

SF- Ruben Patterson

PF- Rasheed Wallace (when he's ready)

C- Dale Davis

This team knows how to play basketball. This team can score. This team can defend. This team can win games.

Bring Damon and Zach off the bench for hustle and scoring punch.

If Zach played at the start of the season like he has these last few weeks, he wouldn't have kept his starting position. Remember- Z-Bo wasn't even a guaranteed starter at the top of training camp, according to Cheeks.

I'm tired of watching Zach's terrible defense. And I'm even more tired of him no longer making up for it on the other end of the floor. Zach is frickin gift to our opposition. He doesn't play D, his shots are so easily blockable, and he will HAND you the ball, unforced. Zach will drive right into three defenders with nowhere to go and just hand them the ball or get called for charging. He's a huge liability on both sides of the court right now. I'm not fooled by his 21 pts and 11 (12?) rebounds last night. Those stats came at a price we couldn't afford to pay and still win the game. Granted, with Sheed out, we had no other choice.

When Sheed gets back, I'd like to start the above lineup.

I understand those who say Zach is young, he needs minutes. And I understand the argument that Zach's aggressiveness results in a lot of attention from the other team that is good for us. So if that's your beef, I get it. What does everyone else think?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Zach is now the franchise player..can't comes out of the bench..
now he is your best player...

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
what is the point of that lineup? I'm not being snide, I actually want to know.

if it's to try to squeak into the eigth seed where we will quickly get dispatched in 4 straight games and will face the same problems we have now next year, then yes, that may be our best option.

if the idea is to actually make progress beyond first round exits, that lineup is seriously flawed. (I will give you credit for benching Damon, though.)

here's the best lineup for building toward the future (which will probably become irrelevant if we make trades):
PG: McInnis
SG: Anderson
SF: Woods
PF: Randolph
C: Wallace
Key guys off the bench: Patterson, Person, Davis, Outlaw

I was in favor of starting Person, but I've come to realize we might as well go with Anderson if only because he's younger and has a tiny amount of upside. Person is a known commodity.

Outlaw would come ahead of Person if he starts to show any sign of competence.

I'd run Stouds for 10 minutes a game as our backup point. Jeff plays the other 38.

Do we make the playoffs with huge defensive holes in Woods, McInnis and Randolph all starting? probably not. I don't really care at this point.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with your starting lineup. I think Zach's defense (or lackthereof) is a major reason why this team can't seem to win. Couple that with the fact that teams now know how to defend him (i.e. keep him from going to his left, be physical with him, double/triple team him, etc.) and you're almost assuring a loss for the team.

Next time you watch a Blazer game, watch for how the team plays (defensively) when Zach is not in the game. Over the last 4 games (since 'Sheed went down) the team has consistently played much better defense (and started mini-rally's) when Zach was on the bench. Plus over the last six games look at Zach's turnovers (which almost always lead to transition points for the opposition) ...

@ SEA => 5 turnovers
@ MIN => 4 turnovers
@ CHI => 6 turnovers
@ TOR => 4 turnovers
@ LAC => 3 turnovers
vs PHO => 7 turnovers

That's a total of 29 turnover's by Zach alone in the last 6 games ... that's an average of almost 5 turnovers per game leading to probably 7-10 points per game for the opposition.

Bench Zach ... he can start when he learns to play better defense.

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
maybe I'm crazy, but I still believe Derek Anderson can run the show. He had 8 assists last night against PHX.

So my starting lineup would be kind of crazy but I like it:

pg Derek Anderson
sg Wesley Person
sf Ruben Patterson
pf Zach Randolph
c Rasheed Wallace

of course, sheed will be traded sometime soon probably, so this lineup is really old news.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I think NathanLane's lineup gives us the best chance to win on a nightly basis... but like others have said, is winning every night the most important thing?

It's obviously important, but is that team good enough to go anywhere, even if it makes the playoffs? The team last year, if everything bounced right (Pippen healthy, Sabas feeling good, Bonzi shooting well) COULD have done some things in the playoffs.

NathanLane's team? I don't see it doing anything unless the other team it plays is very injured AND Portland played its best.

theWanker's team is interesting, too. I might flip Qyntel and Patterson (with Q providing offense off the bench) because Patterson's energy and defense to start the game would set a good tone... giving us a better chance to win on a nightly basis while still getting our young guys playing time.

As for NateBishop's lineup: I don't see DA playing the 1. He's had innumerable opportunities to play it since he's been in the NBA and has never been able to do it for any appreciable amount of time. He's simply too much of a gunner to be very effective and lots of ballhandling will wear him down and make his slashing game less effective IMO.

Ed O.

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
You might be right Ed, but I think Person and Anderson would do a better job of distributing the ball than McInnis and Damon.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
DA can pass the ball reasonably well, but that's not the same as being a point guard. Webber and Divac pass the ball well, too, but you don't want them bringing the ball up the floor every time. DA isn't a particularly great ball handler, especially with defensive pressure. He's a good outlet to help out the primary ball handler, but put him in the hot seat every time down and boy would we have a lot of turnovers.

Dan

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
Webber and Divac don't have Damon Stoudamire as their starting point guard. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts