Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to here what people think of my method for building an expansion team. I will provide examples from the last two years, to clearify what i mean. Just for this example lets assume i'm starting two years ago.

1. I would draft to keep my cap as low as possible. Every RFA availible would be drafted and I would just release a few vets from the draft to minimize the cap cost.

2. For the first two years i would trade my draft choices. You need a solid fundation before you can develop the young kids. Look at the bulls. Kids needs a good situation to develop correctly. Specificlly I would trade for guys who are about 28, and while not superstars, they could possibly be allstars. In 2002 i would have traded the fourth pick for Andre Miller. In 2003, that choice would be traded for Brad Miller. A top 4 pick (lets assume 3rd) has got to be better than Scot Pollard and dumping some salaries (mercer) for the Pacers. I just feel you need a fundation before you start developing rookies.

3. As far as second round picks go, do not pass on guys who were 3 or 4 year starters for one college basketballs "elite" teams and all conference multiple times. For example, Boozer and Steve Blake.

4. If a team is basiclly giving away a pick at the end of the first round.... Trade for it. for example the spurs traded there pick this year. I would have snacked that up, however i would have taken Josh Howard, not Barbosa.

5. If a team is willing to part with the rights to a Euro-star for cheap, you have to take that deal. For example, the Grizzles got Gordon Giricek for a future second round pick, like 2 or 3 years in the future, from the spurs.

6. Look for younger FAs that still have loads of potential, but are under-rated because they were forced to play out of position. For Example Larry Hughes. Larry for 4.5 mil is a steal.

7. Don't understimate role players. For example Steven Jackson. Jackson for 2 mil is also a steal.

Roster after two years.
5 Brad Miller
4 Carlos Boozer
3 Gordon Giricek, Steven Jackson
2 Larry Hughes, Josh Howard
1 Andre Miller, Steve Blake

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I think you overlooked how difficult it is to find the steals of the draft. You'd be lucky if you found just one of those guys you listed late first round or 2nd round.

You have 3 guys who are considered steals. Theres no gaurantee that you could pick three diamonds in the rough, let alone one.

The team should look like this if it goes according to your plan,

Roster after two years:
5 Brad Miller
4 35th pick
3 Gordon Giricek, Steven Jackson
2 Larry Hughes, 29th pick
1 Andre Miller, 38th pick

Also, Brad Miller wouldnt be nearly as effective in this system, so you couldnt expect him to be putting up the same numbers he does now.

The team as a whole is okay, it wouldnt make the playoffs in either conference though. Not even close.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
If you are an expansion team you have total cap room so it's stupid to only take good contracts, your attractiveness to free agents is 0 anyway.

Charlotte needs to draft the best available players, look at the division they will be in next year, with a team full of veterans they could easily take the 4th seed in the playoffs.

Call it the Joe Dumars method, acquire a bunch of veterans to establish the habit of winning, and then year by year replace those veterans with younger guys and better contracts.

You can't just grab a bunch of young guys like the Bulls did and wait for them to develop. Guys come along a lot faster if they are expected to win games. Charlotte has to establish that habit of winning and it will help out those young guys they get a lot more.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In all honest, I did call Blake, Howard, Boozer before they were drafted. I did not expect Boozer to be anywhere near as good as he did, but i did pick him in several fantasy games i was playing as my second round choice. I had him in 3 out of 5 games i was playing. I have always been high on Blake and Howard. You could say i got lucky, but i have a strategy i work with.

Most second round picks are busts anyway, so like i said above, i feel taking a 3-4 year starter who as been 1st or 2nd team all conference from a NCAA powerhouse is the best way to go. Now its doesn't all ways work out, I called Steve Logan three years ago and that was a huge bust. I also thought Roger Mason Jr. had serious potential.

As far as Josh Howard, I'm a big wake forest homer. However, with the second to last pick in the first round, passing on the consensus ACC player of the year would be a mistake no matter who it is.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
There were rumors in Phoenix that Jahidi White to Charlotte was already a done deal.

The Bobcats would get 3M$ in cash to take Jahidi for the last year of his contract. Basically they would pay Jahidi only 3M$ and he would probably be their starting center.

One of the Bobcats execs apparently knows Jahidi from his Washington days.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Well the Bobcats have lots of options. If I were Bickerstaff I would:

1. Select some promising young players. Depending on who is protected and who isn't, I would target guys like John Salmons, Willie Green, Brandon Hunter, Josh Howard, David West, Steve Blake, Chris Anderson and Devin Brown.

2. I would agree to take several veteran stiffs plus draft choices and cash. I would then renounce the veterans (so they don't count against my cap) and use the cash to buy them out. This basically trades an expansion draft pick for one or more picks in the regular draft. Why would other teams agree to do this? Because the salaries of the renounced players come off their cap too.

3. I would look for 2-3 veteran free agents with character. I'm talking about guys like Eric Williams and Bobby Sura.

The team would be lousy for 1-2 years but would get better in a hurry after that.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Along the same lines as my predictions above. I really think Arthur Johnson will be a very solid pro and a very good second round pick. Chris Duhon still has potential.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Josh Howard probably won't be an option for the Bobcats. But that doesn't mean Dallas doesn't leave a decent player available to give themselves cap space.

BTW when is the expantion draft?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NorthSideHatrik</b>!
Along the same lines as my predictions above. I really think Arthur Johnson will be a very solid pro and a very good second round pick. Chris Duhon still has potential.
Where does Duhon have potential? He's like TJ Ford, except he can't pass as well as him. Plus TJ Ford is a crappy shooter.

·
Registered
617 Posts
As an expansion franchise i would use the expansion draft to get quality players mainly a big man and a pure point gaurd, not one who is going to shoot 20 times a game, I would my 4th pick to draft the franchise player and let that one player grow with this team and let the fans know it is their team. And try to obtain the rights to international players who don't seem to want to come over here and treat them like vets. not some 2nd round pick 4 yrs. ago. This would help set a good precedence for the future as you try to bring your own picks overseas.
If the draft your first year isn't very deep in terms of Frachise level players draft a surefire team player from one of the big college schools they are most likely to be able to develop their game and understand team concept something lost in most players nowadays.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
The more I think about it, if the Bobcats are willing to take on some big contracts they could land some good players. Many NBA teams will probably leave cap casulties unprotected. A couple solid over payed players and an impact rookie and the bobcats could be in the eastern playoffs.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Originally posted by <b>stevemc</b>!
The more I think about it, if the Bobcats are willing to take on some big contracts they could land some good players. Many NBA teams will probably leave cap casulties unprotected. A couple solid over payed players and an impact rookie and the bobcats could be in the eastern playoffs.
Absolutely. Many of the players left unprotected will be underperforming veterans with long term deals. But if you were the Bobcats, would you want your cap situation to look like the one the Knicks have now in the very first year of your existence? I don't think so.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
When you look at Charlotte's division (Orlando, Miami, Atlanta, and Washington) I'd say they have the inside track on the playoffs in that conference.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mike luvs KG</b>!
When you look at Charlotte's division (Orlando, Miami, Atlanta, and Washington) I'd say they have the inside track on the playoffs in that conference.
Yes, even if they make their expansion draft selections like pin the tail on the donkey. Any 13-14 warm bodies will do lol.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!

Absolutely. Many of the players left unprotected will be underperforming veterans with long term deals. But if you were the Bobcats, would you want your cap situation to look like the one the Knicks have now in the very first year of your existence? I don't think so.
Well I'm sure they won't go out and draft only 6'9" overpaid powerforwards... I'm sure the Knicks will leave one available tho :D

Eddie Jones could be a decent vet to bring in.

Looking at teams like the Blazers, Grizz, and Mavs who have too much talent to protect are bound to give up a decent player in the expantion draft but I'm sure they'll be overpaid but doesn't mean they are washed up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts