Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, none of the PFs impress me this year. None of these guys will help us get back to where we were last year, and we will still have Nenad (who is still getting used to the NBA) starting. So starting Nenad and a rookie PF will do nothing but hurt us in the long run.

My idea is to go after a PF via FA/trade. If we have to trade VC (though I love the guy) then we should do it. SAR, Wilcox or whoever else would satisfy me. With our pick we can take a guy who would help us off the bench. My choice would be for Francisco Garcia. Not only do I think this kid can come in next year off the bench and put up decent numbers, but I think he will be a big time SG in a few years. I think going this route will help us out alot faster, and better then if we were to draft say Taft or CV. These two guys in my mind will get into foul trouble very quickly their first year, and neither of them have the offensive game to help us, and we need as much help on the offense as possible.

What do you guys think of Garcia?? Would taking him with our pick be too high or do you think his stock has greatly risen due to the tourny he is having?

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Trade Carter? I think it's hard to trade anyone that can singlehandedly take over games! And he hasn't just done it once as a Net, but a huge number of times.

You'd really need to get back someone like Yao or Amare (youth, huge upside) to part with him.

-Petey

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
If it isn't Amare, KG, Dirk, etc. coming back, I don't see how trading VC makes us better.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
DeezNets said:
First of all, none of the PFs impress me this year. None of these guys will help us get back to where we were last year, and we will still have Nenad (who is still getting used to the NBA) starting. So starting Nenad and a rookie PF will do nothing but hurt us in the long run.

My idea is to go after a PF via FA/trade. If we have to trade VC (though I love the guy) then we should do it. SAR, Wilcox or whoever else would satisfy me. With our pick we can take a guy who would help us off the bench. My choice would be for Francisco Garcia. Not only do I think this kid can come in next year off the bench and put up decent numbers, but I think he will be a big time SG in a few years. I think going this route will help us out alot faster, and better then if we were to draft say Taft or CV. These two guys in my mind will get into foul trouble very quickly their first year, and neither of them have the offensive game to help us, and we need as much help on the offense as possible.

What do you guys think of Garcia?? Would taking him with our pick be too high or do you think his stock has greatly risen due to the tourny he is having?

Trading a player like VC for Wilcox or SAR would be downright stupid

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
SeaNet said:
KG, Dirk, etc.
:rock: another 2 I would trade Carter for.

-Petey

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
The paper Clips seem intent on keeping Wilcox. He has potential but I think he's being underplayed...he needs some time to be an effective player.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nets1524512 said:
Trading a player like VC for Wilcox or SAR would be downright stupid

You're right, it would, and its my fault for not being more specific. I meant trade VC for Wilcox and something else, or SAR and something else. You may still think its stupid, but half of a season is not enough to 100% convince me that this is the VC we will see year in and year out. He is playing the best ball of his career, and he is injury free. Another reason why I suggested VC is because of RJ. We still have no idea how our offense will work out with these two on the floor. I dunno, I wouldn't be mad at all if we kept RJ and VC, but I was just trying to be realistic in thinking that we have to give up quality if we want quality in return.

The point of my original post was that Thorn should go after a swingman to come off the bench and take care of the PF spot with a player already in the league.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Let's get something straight...Ratner is not going to trade Carter. It will NOT happen and silly posts like this waste a lot of time. All those players are very good, but NONE of them can put people in the seats like Vince Carter.

As for Francisco Garcia, I can see Thorn doing that...easily, as long as Garcia isn't some problem child. Thorn has said the Nets need a big guy and a mid size guy off the bench...he did not distinguish between them in terms of priority. I think all the top PF's could be gone by 16 or so. There are only a few top flight swingmen. Garcia is one of them.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NetIncome said:
Let's get something straight...Ratner is not going to trade Carter. It will NOT happen and silly posts like this waste a lot of time. All those players are very good, but NONE of them can put people in the seats like Vince Carter.

:whatever:

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
My dad is a Louisville alum, and watches them whenever they're on. He believes Garcia should stay for his final year. According to pops, Garcia is talented, but his decision making is poor, and obviously, he needs to put some more meat on his bones. In his opinion, O'Bannon is their best player (not necessarily the best prospect, though).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Vince Carter is keeping people in the seats and J-Kidd happy...those are the two most important things for the Nets to do, other than WIN!

And why would the Nets trade a One-Man-threat like Vince?

Look at the Lakers after trading Shaq for all of the Heat minus Wade...where are the Lakers now? Just because you get a few good players for a Star doesn't mean you will fill the void left by that star...Some people actually said that the Heat gave up too much to be as competitive...wow were they wrong!

It's all about having a star at the center and surrounding him with the right pieces to the puzzle. Once RJ is back, the Nets will be in better shape. Next year will be interesting after this year's draft pick...

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
NetIncome said:
I support the right to waste time in such a manner. And I applaud them for getting you to waste your time discussing it. :clap:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts