Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Jedi/Sith Hybrid
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will never say that the tatoos or the jewelry is something I really admire or want my kids to have because they send out the wrong message to most people regardless of what era we live in. I will never say that I admire a lot of the things Iverson has said in the past and his past attitude towards practice. I will never say that I agree with the fact that he feels he's repaying his roots by giving money to his family members and friends from back in Hampton instead of helping them get educated about how to lead a better life and ensure that they can stay out of the ghetto forever. Lastly I won't ever settle for a player of his heart living around the perimeter and shooting jumpshots all day when he's the greatest slasher, bar none, that the game has ever seen. That's a lot of disapproval right there.

Yet there are reasons that I love and respect Iverson like I do few others. Call him a thug if it makes you feel good, like all those other sanctimonious sons of b*****s out there. Call him whatever you want if it helps you sleep at night. Yet there is no other superstar in this league who puts it all on the line like Iverson does. Not even Kevin Garnett, a player I respect as much as I do my own father. Iverson's infectious desire to be a champion and his dogged persistence is unbelievable. Night in and night out he takes a beating and plays through injuries because he lives on the game. All other superstars get superstar calls and ticky-tack textbook fouls, yet for Iverson almost every hard drive in the lane is an injury waiting to derail his career. Yet the love of the game is all that matters to him and he cares nothing for the risks that come with engaging in dangerous physical battles with atheletes literally twice his size. That kind of courage and passion is something that everyone can look up to. Iverson beat some unbelievable odds considering where he came from and the what he had to face as a child. Few players with the exception of a select few such as Jamaal Tinsley and Kevin Garnett can truly attest to beating these kinds of odds and becoming an international icon.
Iverson had his issues during the early days but no one can question his heart, his desire or his competitiveness. His story is one that gives hope to people all over the world, not just Philadelphia, Hampton or the US. There's a reason why if you ever walk around in Philadelphia, you'll see a familiar jersey every 5 minutes. There's a reason why people all over the world speak of Iverson and love and respect him as if he was one of their own. There's a reason why the entire franchise of the 76ers was suddenly lifted by his very presence. With the exception of the fact that he will never be an NBA champion, Iverson's is a story that will never be marred as Kobe's story has been marred. Say what you will, curse Iverson's existence and spit on his name all that you want if it makes you feel good. It all stems from the fact that Kobe will never get this kind of adoration and respect, even if I will be the first person to admit that on many fronts, Kobe is Iverson's superior as a basketball player. Iverson knows when to let his confidence fuel his passion but also knows to defer to the greatest players the game has ever known, like Jordan, Magic, Isaiah, Bird and more recently Shaq, another reason why he is so loved.
Justice will be served when in the annals of basketball history, Kobe goes down as a stunning player, yet a lost and forlorn individual, hated and despised much more than loved due to his arrogance, penchant for unnecessary drama and Shaq era titles. Iverson will go down as a champion who was never really a champion but who, in the war of life, faced the odds in the square in the face and beat them with the same ferocity that he beat the best defenses of his era night in and night out. He will be forever embraced as the incredible competitor whose talent was surpassed only by his determination and passion for the game. He will forever be one of the most loved, respected and idolized atheletes the world or any sport has ever seen. To judge a man of his character solely by his outward appearance is something sanctimonious bigots have always used to somehow justify their rage at the fact that a man so small can be such a giant and can command such love and respect.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Allen Iverson is one of my favorites. The way he has changed over the past few years is unbelievable. But one thing has always stayed the same with him, his heart.

As a Celtic fan, I've seen 2 players go through all kinds of pain and injuries over the past few years (Walker and Pierce), but neither of these two experience the pain that AI gets.

This guy takes it to the hoop like no other, he's one of the most skilled players ever, and does everything he can. He just leaves it out on the floor. Toine and Paul do the same, but they just don't go nearly as much torture Iverson goes through.

This guy has the heart of a lion and is one of the most favorite players to watch all around the NBA.

I completely agree with you MP, even if this guy never wins a championship, he will be considered a champion in a lot of people's books for what he has done/does/will do.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Once again, incredible post. You took the words right out of my mouth.

·
Jedi/Sith Hybrid
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
madskillz1_99 said:
First, let me say that I find the fact that you claim to respect Kevin Garnett (a freakin' basketball player) more than your own father, deeply troubling.

Second, I didn't know that "people all over the world speak of Iverson and love and respect him as if he was one of their own.", that is certainly news to me. And as far as saying that "His story is one that gives hope to people all over the world," all i can say is :whofarted

Third, you have built up AI to be something MUCH bigger than he is. I like to think that people "love and respect" and "look up to" people a little more important than a basketball player. Let's get a little perspective here.

Fourth, you say that you "won't ever settle for a player of his heart living around the perimeter and shooting jumpshots all day when he's the greatest slasher, bar none, that the game has ever seen." yet you also say that "for Iverson almost every hard drive in the lane is an injury waiting to derail his career. Yet the love of the game is all that matters to him and he cares nothing for the risks that come with engaging in dangerous physical battles with atheletes literally twice his size." So, which is it? Does he float around the perimeter too much or not?

Fifth, you say that "He will forever be one of the most loved, respected and idolized atheletes the world or any sport has ever seen." To that I say, uhhh.... no. There are TONS of people who do not love, respect or idolize him. And I love how you threw "world" in there, again, you need to gain some perspective.

Sixth, do you want to marry AI? :laugh:
My reply :

Oh boy. Here we go.

Until education had to become his primary focus, my father was a celebrated professional athelete who represented Bangladesh as a member of the national cricket team. His brother and cousins were hugely successful in domestic soccer leagues. My grandfather was an ace soccer player and swimmer himself and was a close friend of Brojen Das, the first man to swim across the English Channel. I myself have won school divison titles in cricket, soccer and basketball. As you can see, sports are a very big part of my family and it was only natural that I would not only have a huge passion for sports but would also come to greatly admire several sportsmen across different sports. When he came to America, my parents had to struggle to get by, having just been married, working odd jobs to pay the bills while they went to school. In the end after the years of hardship our family because successful and because of their noble sacrifices, I stand to become even more successful. This story is analogous to those of so many sports stars who had it rough but ultimately became success stories. There are many men that I respect as much as I respect my dad and Kevin Garnett being my favorite basketball player, just happens to be one of them. You find it "troubling" that I could admire Garnett that much ? I certainly don't and neither does my dad. They both had it rough for years on end, having to deal with deaths in the family, poverty and incredible odds. Garnett achieved what he did with his talent for basketball. My father achieved what he did with his talent for academics. The stories are near parallels, and I would know wouldn't I having seen everything first hand ? Or does the great Kobe Bryant worshipper have an irrefutable opinion to the contrary ? Exactly. Don't ever again find things that you have no idea about "troubling".
So to the next points. Canadians might not care much for Iverson but see, I grew up in Bangladesh. If you ever talk to kids playing division basketball there, do you know what one of the first names is that pops up after "Jordan" or "Shaq" ? It's that player that Canadians might not have heard of but that player that people who play organised basketball in every other country do know. Allen Iverson. Not Kobe Bryant. Allen Iverson...and if a little country like Bangladesh can have all these kids who know and love Iverson, then can you imagine what it's like in all the other countries ? Learn a little bit more about the way countries outside Canada work before you make idiotic comments.
Lastly about this business of gaining perspective...geez...this coming from a guy who won't even listen to the slightest criticism towards Kobe ? This coming from a guy who's likely to testify on Bryant's innocence even if he's raping Britney Spears in the middle of Times Square in broad daylight ? PLEASE ! I criticize Iverson plenty, ask anyone on the Sixers board. I'm not blind about Iverson, Garnett or any of my other favorites, unlike yourself. Stop being the kind of sanctimonious b***h that I refer to and stop making comments about posters whose backgrounds you know NOTHING about. Go back to putting the finishing touches on your latest Kobe love nest.

·
Wrong About Everything
13,525 Posts
Great post.

And as far as saying that "His story is one that gives hope to people all over the world," all i can say is
Never mind that who AI is on the court is a metaphor for the American Dream, Allen Iverson's life story is the American Dream. Allen Iverson's story an idea that made the 13 colonies go to war with England. The ability to start of as one of the porest people in the world, and through dedication become one of the richest is the ideal that nearly every revolution has ever been started with. Sounds pretty inspiring to me

Lastly I won't ever settle for a player of his heart living around the perimeter and shooting jumpshots all day when he's the greatest slasher, bar none, that the game has ever seen. That's a lot of disapproval right there.
Dude, he leads the league in Free Throws for a reason. He might not get a lot of shots up inside, but that's because teams foul him rather than let him take over like that.

·
Jedi/Sith Hybrid
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sliccat said:
Great post.

Never mind that who AI is on the court is a metaphor for the American Dream, Allen Iverson's life story is the American Dream. Allen Iverson's story an idea that made the 13 colonies go to war with England. The ability to start of as one of the porest people in the world, and through dedication become one of the richest is the ideal that nearly every revolution has ever been started with. Sounds pretty inspiring to me

Dude, he leads the league in Free Throws for a reason. He might not get a lot of shots up inside, but that's because teams foul him rather than let him take over like that.
Sorry I was rather unclear in the post...what I actually meant was that I would never settle for any player developing Glenn Robinson Syndrome and just launching jumpers all day instead of slashing to the hole.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Iverson is a great player but he needs to work on getting C Webb to play the right way. Then the Sixers will be a true force in the Atlantic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts