Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Andrew Bogut - I really think this guy is for real. Having him teamed up with Zach would be wicked since their games would complement eachothers perfectly.
2) M. Andriuskevicius
3) Marvin Williams
4) Gerald Green
5) Chris Taft
6) Chris Paul.

Most likely the Blazers will end up with a top 6 pick. To tell the truth, only the top 4 on my list excite me.

Chris Paul is listed as 3rd on most sites but I do not see it.
List your top 6

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
1) Marvin Williams : 6'10" SF/PF. Superstar potential. Extremely athletic with a high bball IQ.

2) Andrew Bogut : 7'0" PF/C Nice post player, high bball IQ. One of his best qualities is his passing, he loves to pass out of double teams. (the anti-Randolph)

3) Gerald Green : 6'8" SG . A few years away, but we are building for the next few years anyways. The best SG prospect in the draft.

4) Chris Taft : 6'10" C/PF . Once considered the #1 pick on the 05 draft, but scouts question his desire. But he is a very talented bigman. Nice back to the basket game and can hit the mid-range jumper. He also has ties to Telfair, both grew up in Coney Island on the same block.

5) Reshad McCants : 6'4" SG . One of the best (if not best) offensive players in the country. He's a bit undersized at 6'4", but he has very long arms and great athletic ability.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
thylo said:
1) Andrew Bogut - I really think this guy is for real. Having him teamed up with Zach would be wicked since their games would complement eachothers perfectly.
2) M. Andriuskevicius
3) Marvin Williams
4) Gerald Green
5) Chris Taft
6) Chris Paul.

Most likely the Blazers will end up with a top 6 pick. To tell the truth, only the top 4 on my list excite me.

Chris Paul is listed as 3rd on most sites but I do not see it.
List your top 6
My top 2:

1) Marvin Williams - Dude's goin' to be a BEAST! I don't care if he's a SF, there'll be some value available for Darius or Ruben... somewhere. This guy, IMO, is the type of guy that you have to be willing to reshuffle your roster around. If that means trading Miles or Patterson for a veteran PG, or PF or whatever... you do it (once again, IMO). Not to mention, his full birth name, is Marvin Gaye Williams. How sweet would it be to have them play a little Marvelous Marvin Gaye after every time Williams make something happen? :biggrin:

2) Andrew Bogut - He could definitely end up being a BIG-TIME player in the NBA. I just don't think his game will be as dominating as Williams'. It could be, though. I'm not really doubting this kid... at all. I watched him play Duncan, Amare, and Boozer, pretty straight-up for the most part, in the Olympics. I posted his statline for someone who was calling him a stiff, on another message board, for the Australia vs. USA game in Athens. IIRC, it was:

4-7 FG, 1-2 3-pt. FG, 8 rebounds, 1 block, 1 assist. And I think he played about 31 minutes out of a possible 40.

That was at the age of 19, and he MORE than held his own against the aforementioned players. So, who knows, he could end up being the "Anti-Duncan"! :biggrin:

The only reason I don't go any further, is because I don't know enough about any of the foreign players. Not enough to deem them worthy of a top-5 pick.

As far as other guys that I think we should draft, if Williams and Bogut are already gone when our pick rolls around (possibly even trading down for a later pick plus an additional pick or a player), I'd have to add:

3) Gerald Green

4) Antoine Wright

5) Rudy Fernandez

6) Francisco Garcia

In the second round, maybe:

Nate Robinson, Julius Hodge, or Lawrence Roberts, depending on what we do prior to the second round.

EDIT:

I have NO clue why the quote is in such large text.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
QRICH said:
1) Marvin Williams : 6'10" SF/PF. Superstar potential. Extremely athletic with a high bball IQ.

2) Andrew Bogut : 7'0" PF/C Nice post player, high bball IQ. One of his best qualities is his passing, he loves to pass out of double teams. (the anti-Randolph)

3) Gerald Green : 6'8" SG . A few years away, but we are building for the next few years anyways. The best SG prospect in the draft.
:clap:

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
1.) Marvin Williams
2.) Andrew Bogut
3.) Rudy Gay (if he comes out)
4.) Chris Paul
5.) Martynas Andriuskevicius
6.) Tiago Splitter

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
1) Marvin Williams (closest thing to a franchise player in this bunch)
2) Bogut (true centers are hard to find)
3) Paul (will be as good as Telfair, and will get there sooner)
4) Taft (a physical monster. his college stats are deceptive since he only averaged something like 8 shots a game)

Beyond that, I can't say. Last I heard, Gay isn't declaring. I can't really name Splitter or Green until I hear how they do in workouts. I suspect that by draft day, Antoine Wright and Deron Williams will move up. :whoknows:

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
1. Bogut
2. Williams
3. Paul
4. Gay
5. Andriuskevicius
6. Aleksandrov

I'd be pretty jazzed to get any of these guys. Hopefully Gay and Williams come out and we can get one of them (since we'll almost certainly pass on Paul with Telfair in the fold).

Ed O.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
1) Marvin Williams - Without a doubt he is THE best player in college today, and the best pro prospect. I don't think that outside of Rudy Gay its even close.

2) Rudy Gay - Not nearly as ready as Williams, but given time could be as good or better.

3) Andrew Bogut - I think he will be a good pro, but a franchise one? I don't think that is much of a given as it is for Williams (in particular) or Gay. A career similiar to Brad Miller perhaps? I can't see him having a much greater impact.

After this it is a real tossup IMO.

4) Chris Taft - A real hit or miss IMO. Athletically they guy has star potential, but is the head there? Was dissapointing this season, but was it the team dynamics at Pitt? Or Taft's desire? The bottom line is I would take him over Splitter, he just has more physical talent. If you felt that the desire questions were answered, then I don't think there is any doubt.

5) Gerald Green - He is a few years away. I don't like all the MCGrady BS floating aroung, b\c it just isnt fair...but having said that...He has great size, very good athleticism, and can shoot very well. If your taking a flyer at this pick, and lets face it with the way this draft is shaping up...you are, then I don't see why you wouldn't take him. He is a better risk IMO than Andriuskevicius or Aleksandrov, and has a better chance to be better pro than Splitter does IMO. #4 & #5 could flip flop, they are close IMO.

After that

Nemanja Aleksandrov (I'd be interested to see where his head is at...and if he could project as a PF down the line)
Tiago Splitter (I like him, but don't think he is star material)
Deron Williams (smart player, could play PG AND SG?)
Martynas Andriuskevicius - A HUGE risk, and a guy from all accounts is SEVERAL years away. Why go there? HE MAY end up like Ilgauskas, but you won't see it until 4+ years from now at the earliest.

I didn't list Chris PAul whom I think us a guaranteed top 3-4 pick if he declares, b\c I see no circumstance where POR would select him for themselves. IF he dropped to #5 and POR took him it would be for trade purposes IMO, which depending on the deal struck COULD be ok.

Also I really like Rudy Fernandez. ANY kid who has proven themselves (at a young age) against TOP LEVEL talent both in euroleague and more improtantly in the Olympics, deserves to be rated higher than he is currently. I don't think those projections are accurate, albeit an injury has set him back, I really think this kid will be a good NBA player, maybe even more. IF POR traded down for a few assets and took him, I'd be pretty happy.

I REALLY think POR needs to address the SG position in this draft.

Whether it is Green, Fernandez, Garcia, Winston, Gelabale, Hodge or (gulp) McCants...or even a guy like Deron Williams, who is definitely a PG but whom could play that combo guard (b\u PG\SG) role...you mix in Monia there and it could work.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I think Marvin Williams has said he's going back to North Carolina, but maybe he will change his mind.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
My top 6:

#1-2 Marvin Williams or Andrew Bogut I'd be equally happy with either of these guys, although I think Williams may have more upside, I think Bogut would have more immediate impact.

#3 Rudy Gay

#4-6 Martynas Andreschevious, Gerald Green, Rashad McCants

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
1-Andrew Bogut-Young Sabonis, not a weakness in his game.
2-Marvin Williams-Potential superstar, right now we need talent. Who cares if we have 40 SF's, we need the best player available. He can also play some 4 if needed. He has really impressed me so far in the tournament.
3-Rudy Gay-This is a moot point, because he probably will not delcare, but he would be a very nice player to add. He is another player who has superstar potential as well.
4-Chris Taft-I feel this kid will be a stud. He is very athletic and quick for his size. He could also double up as a center. Very long player which gives him the ability to become a nice defensive player.
5-Gerald Green-A risky pick at #5, but we need to take chances right now and not go for a safer pick who could produce quicker but has less potential. I know many of us hate the term potential, but given the time and tutalige, Green could be a stud.
6-Martynas Andriuskevicius-If we get him, he must stay over in Europe for a year or 2. He needs a positive environment to build his game up. He is being tutored by Sabonis so that's a huge plus. He could turn out very well and would be a good value pick at #5.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I think Rudy Gay would be the best player for you guys.

Everyone is so incredibly high on Marvin and are raving about (so am i), but I couldn't argue the fact that Rudy Gay has better pro potential. He is a much better perimeter defender, and shooter than Marvin right now, which is what you guys need on the perimeter.

Too bad he probably won't come out this year, but staying in college would be best for him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts