Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people feel passionately about some snubs by the HOF, as do I. One person who is inexplicably left out is Charles 'Kid' Keinath. Arguably the best (at least one of the very best) basketball players in the first half of the 20th century.

*4-time FIRST Team All American (one of only 2 people ever to accomplish this feat)
*2-time EIL and National scoring leader
*Scored all of his teams points in a game at least twice
*1909 National Co-Champions w/ Chicago Univ. (*unofficial)
*Outscored the combined efforts of HOF'ers Schommer and Page in 1908 Championship series (1st ever National Championship series!)
*2 EIL championships (would have had a 3rd but the EIL disbanded his senior year)
*1st to score 100 points in league play in a season
*Record 23 points in a game stood for almost 40 years, (before rules changes drastically increased scoring, when whole teams averaged about 15 points a game)
*Played on and then coached Philadelphia City High School Championship teams as well
*Most notably… the double dribble rule was changed because of him (and yes, I have a lot of documentation to support this claim!)

In Football:

*Led team to a National Championship over Michigan in 'The Big House'
*Standout QB called “The Little General”
*Innovator and one of the early successful QBs to utilize forward pass

*Anecdotally: He was selected for enshrinement into the Helm’s Hall of Fame (out of Los Angeles) as only one of a few collegiate players to represent the first half century off basketball in the country, he coached against and befriended Glen “Pop” Warner. He played Against (and often got the better of) Jim Thorpe, John Heisman selected him as his assistant coach where he spent the next 30 years coaching (many alongside Charles Wharton… of Wharton school fame).

*I have newspaper clippings of the time calling him “the Red Grange of basketball”, and one with his picture from the sports page simply titled “World’s Greatest Basketball Player, Kid Keinath”, he was compared in articles of major newspapers decades later to Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Walter Hagen, Jim Thorpe, Red Grange, Johnny Weismuller, Man-O-War, John L. Sullivan, Max Schmelling, and Jack Dempsey among MANY other All Time greats in their sports.

*A member of UPenn’s HOF as well I am trying to see him recognized by other entities. As you know, as Halls of Fame really only started to come about AFTER the 1960’s for the most part… that was over 50 years since he last played. Since then time has only served to further blurr his accomplishments and with the advent of online media the ‘old timers’ are largely forgotten unless someone has cared to comb through scarce hard copy material and document the past for future electronic preservation and accessibility (something I hope to do).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts