Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is believed that the Portland Trail Blazers talked to the Magic about trading troublesome forward Rasheed Wallace for McGrady.

Gabriel would not confirm if the Trail Blazers were one of the teams, nor would he speak to any specific team.

Neither McGrady nor Gabriel took any of the inquiries seriously.

"I don't believe any of that, but I did hear the Rasheed rumor," McGrady said. "I think there would be a lot of disappointed Orlando fans if that happened."
FWIW........ From: Orlando Sentinel

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
disappointed Orlando fans....

becuase of McGrady leaving? or Sheed coming? :D

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
I think that if a trade like this went down it would fit every point that Nash and Patterson have set. You would have your Superstar in TMAC and your up and coming star to build around. Would Orlando be crazy enough to want to start on another rebuild and would this really make Portland a better team? Interesting to say the lest, isn't it? :yes:

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
If Orlando is dumb enough to trade McGrady, with the acception of Zach (maybe) you basically trade away the house, draft picks, the rights to your house in seattle, a couple companies, and pay most of Rasheeds contract too...

But Orlando ain't dumb.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I think that if it did happen, the trade would look something like this:

Portland trades (Orland receives): Rashead, Person, Quintel, next years griz pick, and next years first round portland pick unrestricted.
Portland Receives (Orlando trades): Grant Hill and McGrady.

The reason Portland does this trade is obiviously to get TMac.
The Reason Orlando does this is that between Hill and TMac, they are paying so much that there is almost no way that they can have a winning team for the next three years unless something happens with Hill. This way, Orlando would be so far under the cap after 17 mil from sheed and 8 mil from person are done after this year, that they could resign sheed and still make a run at another big time free agent, perhaps kobe. Add to that Quintel, who is very young and has a lot of potential, and two decent first round picks, they would be is a great position next year.

I actually think that this deal would do nothing but benefit both teams, however the only reason that Orlando might not want to do this deal is that they would take a big time PR hit losing one of the best loved NBA players.

Basketball wise, I think that this deal works for both teams.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
It sounds like Nash has started to read our trade ideas. He must have seen the discussion that we had about trading for McGrady a couple of days ago, thought to himself, "This is a great idea" and made a few calls to Orlando.

Who says we're not making an impact? ;)

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
The more I think about this trade, the more I am not sure if I like it. I think that it would be really fun to get TMac, but I am unsure that we would actually have a good team, and we would then be in the same position that Orlando is now, with hill's contract. We would have lost our picks, and we still would not have any defence. I think I would do the trade simply because it would shake things up, and I can't see things getting much worse, but I think that the trade would truely make Orlando a better team next year.

·
Registered
731 Posts
HOW CAN ANYONE NOT SUPPORT THIS TRADE?

When was the last time Portland had a bonafide superstar? I'm talking potentially MVP caliber superstar....Tmac is a level above Drexler in his prime.. and Tmac is still 24/25 yrs old. You don't like the looks of this squad we're rebuiliding with?

PG: mcinnis/damon
SG: DA / mcinnis
SF: TMAC / Patterson/ Hill?
PF: ZBO
C: DD

Plus two first round (maybe 2 lottery?) picks.

This team is much better than the magic... and yes.. orlando would most likely advance in to the playoffs.. sounds like a win win situation to me.

·
Hokeamaniac
5,775 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!
If Orlando is dumb enough to trade McGrady, with the acception of Zach (maybe) you basically trade away the house, draft picks, the rights to your house in seattle, a couple companies, and pay most of Rasheeds contract too...

But Orlando ain't dumb.
If you trade the house, including Randolph which I really can't see Orlando not demanding then wouldn't you be in the same situation that Orlando is in now? I'd be a little leary of TMac, just look at his track record this season.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!
But Orlando ain't dumb.
the real question ........

is orlando dumb enough to pull this one.

Portland trades:
PG Damon Stoudamire
SF Rasheed Wallace
PF Zach Randolph

Portland receives:
PF Grant Hill
SG Tracy McGrady
PF Juwan Howard

You have been assigned Trade ID number 1416638

ORL

PG damon
SG girececk
SF gooden
PF zbo
C sheed

PORT

PG - mcinnis
SG - DA
SF - tmac
PF - juwan howard
C - DD

wow i now that i write that i actually really like it for both teams..... i like it alot

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>shyFX325</b>!

wow i now that i write that i actually really like it for both teams..... i like it alot
I did something similar the other day in another thread... but I had Gooden coming back instead of Howard. I guess your version would make it more palatable to Orlando.

Ed O.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>thylo</b>!
The more I think about this trade, the more I am not sure if I like it. I think that it would be really fun to get TMac, but I am unsure that we would actually have a good team, and we would then be in the same position that Orlando is now, with hill's contract.
In your trade proposal, we'd still have Randolph, which would be the main reason why Portland would not be Orlando.

If Randolph had to go, Portland would probably keep the picks and/or Woods.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jvanbusk</b>!
If you trade the house, including Randolph which I really can't see Orlando not demanding then wouldn't you be in the same situation that Orlando is in now? I'd be a little leary of TMac, just look at his track record this season.
Very valid point. However, it all depends on whether or not you take Grant Hills contract too. That is the real crux to their problems, imho. They have a 11(?) million dollar hole in their cap, because Grant is injured, and can't play. Assuming McGrady is traded on his own (as obviously thats the preferred method) then you have to think that Portland could fit more people around him.

Of course, they could fall into the same "trap" that the Magic have (for different reasons of course). A very talented superstar surrounded by sub-par talent (not meant to be a knock against the Magics other players) and the restriction of salary cap moves in the future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts