Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Or is it Wallace spurning Nash? Or both? Interesting quote from Oregon Live:

"The anonymous Blazers player said Wallace has been stung by being the subject of recent trade rumors, and he said he wished Wallace and Nash would talk about his future so the ordeal can be settled, allowing the team to know what course the season is going to take. However, the player said that Nash and Wallace do not speak, saying that the two don't even make eye contact when passing each other."
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1074257997122040.xml

I could be mistaken, but wasn't there recently a report about Wallace and Nash having a confrontation in the locker room? Or was it Wallace and Patterson? At any rate, this icy relationship between Wallace and Nash speaks volumes. The neutral language that management uses in public statements seems to be covering up some real tension. I have a hunch they are more eager to get rid of Wallace than they are letting on.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
In defens of Sheed I can see how it would be tough for him to have any warmth for Nash. The Blazers are definately shopping him around and Sheed is more sensitive IMO than he would want people to realize.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Far be it from me to tell Nash how to do his job, but I place the blame on a lack of communication on Nash based on what I know.

One of the criticisms of Bob Whitsitt (by fans and some players) is that he was never around and that he didn't communicate or check up on the players.

Well, Nash was hired. He's around. But he doesn't even make eye contract with Rasheed? Weird.

The two men have a relationship where either can damage the other's career pretty significantly, and each of them are probably responsible in their own way for any type of breakdown.

But Nash is the one (as far as I know) who wants to change things, and has publically talked about moving Rasheed. He should at least be willing to look him in the eye after doing so.

Ed O.
(I like the way that post ended, but I don't really feel that strongly about it, considering how little info we have... maybe Nash is willing to talk, but Rasheed is just totally unwilling. I got the sense from the quote, though, that it was a two-way street.)

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Nash is the judge Jury and Executioner.

Wallace is a thorn in the side.

I can see the relationship.

Anyway I actually can't recall Nash specifically saying he was shopping Rasheed. Only that offers had come in for him that were not significant enough.

G

·
Sheed is Sheed= Sheed is out for Sheed and Sheed alone. Sheed will just do what he wants to, and screw the fans/team/everyone else. Sad, but true. Best of all, he makes 17mil doing this, while not even being civil to the fans!:no:

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I always liked Whitsitt.. knowing he was quiet and crafty in his skills for being the master of the trade.

But at the same time wished we had a GM who did speak out more. I liked hearing from Nash some of the things that were being explored for the team. But I think it has affected the players/team.

I guess Nash must be revisiting tha notion, since he seems to be going "mums the word" on us as of late.

I guess I like knowing the ins and outs of being a GM, but can apprecite the reasoning for keeping their mouths shut for the good of the team.

I believe the confrontation of Wallace and Nash happened in Seattle last week from what I remember hearing

G

·
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!
I always liked Whitsitt.. knowing he was quiet and crafty in his skills for being the master of the trade.

But at the same time wished we had a GM who did speak out more. I liked hearing from Nash some of the things that were being explored for the team. But I think it has affected the players/team.

I guess Nash must be revisiting tha notion, since he seems to be going "mums the word" on us as of late.

I guess I like knowing the ins and outs of being a GM, but can apprecite the reasoning for keeping their mouths shut for the good of the team.

I believe the confrontation of Wallace and Nash happened in Seattle last week from what I remember hearing

I beleive that John Nash was trying to be honest for a change, UNLIKE NITWHITT!,with the fans, which would be all of us. I think that got him in trouble with the players and national media. Is he smarter than that? ABSOLUTELY! Will he do this again? NO!!!!!! Did he do it to show us all in PDX he means biz? YES!!! And I commend John for it! Nash IS the best GM we could possibly have, because he knows how to cut down on cash, and pick inthe draft, AND low-ball other teams when the other team KNOWS we are desperate!

Thank God P.Allen chose John! You guys don't know how worse it could have been. I LIKE JOHN NASH! He is going to be a GOD-SEND in 2-3 years GUARANTEED!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>GoBlaze</b>!

Thank God P.Allen chose John! You guys don't know how worse it could have been. I LIKE JOHN NASH! He is going to be a GOD-SEND in 2-3 years GUARANTEED!!!!!!!!!!!
Nash was, what, the fourth Blazer choice?

He might be a good guy to have as a GM, but considering he's been out of work for some time and the Blazers had been turned down (reportedly) by at least three other candidates, I don't think that he's the sure-fire front office solution that you do.

Ed O.

G

·
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!

Nash was, what, the fourth Blazer choice?

He might be a good guy to have as a GM, but considering he's been out of work for some time and the Blazers had been turned down (reportedly) by at least three other candidates, I don't think that he's the sure-fire front office solution that you do.

Ed O.
So WHO should be here then , " ED" ?

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I sure hope your right GoBlaze...

It sure seemed like he and Patterson were well respected in their previous jobs. Lets cross our fingers and hope they know what their doing.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts

So WHO should be here then , " ED" ?
What's with the quotes around my name?

As far as who I think should be here: that doesn't really have much bearing on the job Nash has done or will do. It also doesn't matter what I think about how the GM is doing now... he was still way down the Blazers' pecking order when they hired him.

Ed O.

G

·

What's with the quotes around my name?

As far as who I think should be here: that doesn't really have much bearing on the job Nash has done or will do. It also doesn't matter what I think about how the GM is doing now... he was still way down the Blazers' pecking order when they hired him.

Ed O.
Then WHY do you care if I do anything? Worry about your self. Don't you worry about me, dude.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts

Then WHY do you care if I do anything? Worry about your self. Don't you worry about me, dude.
What does this have to do with Nash?

I'm commenting about Nash. I don't really know you, and I haven't commented about you.

If you have something to say about why Nash will be a good GM in spite of being the Blazers' fourth choice and being out of the NBA for several years, I'm interested to hear it.

Ed O.

G

·

What does this have to do with Nash?

I'm commenting about Nash. I don't really know you, and I haven't commented about you.

If you have something to say about why Nash will be a good GM in spite of being the Blazers' fourth choice and being out of the NBA for several years, I'm interested to hear it.

Ed O.
You picked me out first, ED. You explain.

G

·
OK, I will "STOMP", (just kidding), Stomp.

I think that I see a visionary type GM in Nash. I think I also see a very, VERY short tempered hobbyist in Paul Allen. I think we will see some talent come very shortly, and we will maybe even see another first rounder come our way. Will we make the play-offs? Eh, probably not. What I see is getting a great player ina trade to compliment Z-BO, in the front court(I.E a SF) And getting a great draft. I can see us getting great draft picks with the combo of Warkentien and Nash and crew. I think our best NEW days are ahead of us! In the mean time, I can TOTALLY see us getting someone like A.Jamison and have him fit in NICELY with Zach! I can see Jamison helping to teach Zach how to anticipate when to pass, and when to expect a pass from another player! I could go on, but I don't want to be a blow-hard.

Thanks for making me feel a part of this board.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
By the way GoBlaze... welcome to the Blazer forum

Its nice to see new poepe around here

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
"Considering [Nash] had been out of work for some time and the Blazers had been turned down (reportedly) by at least three other candidates, I don't think that he's the sure-fire front office solution that you do."
That's a weak argument. Look at Hubie Brown, who hadn't coached in the NBA in about a decade before he took over the Grizzlies. He's completely turned that franchise around. When the Kansas City Chiefs hired Dick Vermeil, he'd been out of the NFL for a long time, too, but he immediately turned that team into a winner. If you're good at what you do, being away from a sport for awhile isn't a big deal. Jerry Krause, former GM of the Bulls, was just hired to be a baseball scout--and he hasn't worked in baseball for ages! But he's a good evaluator of talent, and people know that. And look at Lenny Wilkins. He'd been out of the NBA for a year and a half, and he seems to have had a tremendous impact on the Knicks, who beat Seattle by 20 points last night.

And so what if the Blazers were turned down by 3 other GM candidates? Who is to say that Nash can't do a better job than any of them? He may just have the right blend of talent and experience to pull this thing off. He was the GM who orchestrated the famous 12-player deal a few years back. He is well respected throughout the NBA for evaluating talent and putting the pieces together for a franchise. The other candidates for the Portland GM position may have had higher profiles, but perhaps Nash is the perfect fit.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I can TOTALLY see us getting someone like A.Jamison and have him fit in NICELY with Zach! I can see Jamison helping to teach Zach how to anticipate when to pass, and when to expect a pass from another player! I could go on, but I don't want to be a blow-hard.
Certainly you are not too familiar with the game of Antawn Jamison if you "can see Jamison helping to teach Zach how to anticipate when to pass, and when to expect a pass from another player”.
In Zach and Jamison I see duplication (of the redundant variety more so then the two is better then one type). They approach the game in very much the same way and neither passes the ball unless it is the absolute last resort.

Jamison is in no position to teach the virtues of ball movement to Zach Randolph. The only thing he could possibly instruct Randolph in is the art of not getting floaters blocked (it certainly will not be defense).

Two seasons ago Jamison averaged a measly 1.9 assists per ballgame as the starting SF for the Golden State Warriors. He accomplished this in roughly 40 minutes per ballgame for the second highest scoring team in the league (102.4 per contest).

Statistically that is indicative of one who knows "when to pass".

The problem however is that "when to pass" would fall under when one cannot see the hoop or when one is falling out of bounds (slight hyperbole on my part but I am sure you get the point).

This season he averages 1 assist in 30 minutes of playing time for another one of the leagues high scoring teams (102.6 points per contest making Dallas 2nd in the league).

Once again I see no statistical indication of one willing to share the ball.
Expecting him to teach another how strikes me as a bit unrealistic.

Now I am aware that assist totals fail to tell the entire story in terms of ball sharing (willingness to making the extra pass, recognizing the double team, etc.).
For this I would have to rely on my observations of Jamison as a player.

I see Jamison as a player who more often then not lets the ball fly once it touches his hand. He usually does not have a double team to concern himself with because (for 1) nobody doubles him and (secondly) he shoots the ball quickly. He is an opportunist who does not need plays ran for him (much like Randolph). He has a knack for sneaking behind the defense for drop off passes and weak side offensive rebounds (he is basically a finisher and rarely places himself in position to set up others).

A good thing if paired with an outside shooting SF or capable outside shooting PF but not so if paired with a Randolph (IMO).

- I have not even touched on Jamison’s defensive inadequacies (which would be of even bigger concern to me if paired with Randolph). -

------

I would go as far a to label Jamison a ball hog (a beautiful compliment to Randolph's black hole).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts