Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Nate Robinson v. Marquis Teague

704 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mvP to the Wee 
#1 ·
Who ya got?

The more games I watch the more I think we should just roll with Marquis Teague and get him as much experience as we can. Nate Robinson is so incredibly frustrating to watch... the game against Brooklyn featured the typical highs and lows from Robinson... chasing down Marshawn Brooks for a nice block... blowing a 4 on 1 break by throwing an incredibly stupid pass over his shoulder to no one. Robinson isn't particularly good at facilitating the offense, but can obviously catch fire and look like a star in spurts.

I say let's roll with Teague. He can get to the rack and has shown himself to be decently savvy with the ball in limited minutes. He's at least as good if not better than Robinson in the open court already. Robinson can shoot from outside and Teague dosn't appear to have any confidence from range (he's passed up any and all 3 point opportunities that I've seen... hasn't hit any on the season on limited attempts)... on a terrible 3 point shooting team that may be a detriment but if he's playing next to Bellineli maybe it won't hurt us too much. Teague's defense will undoubtedly be a weakness as a rookie but it can't possibly be that much worse than Robinson's. When Hinrich comes back I'm ready for 30 minutes of Kirk and 18 minutes of Teague at the 1...

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
Nate Robinson is not a starter in this league. At this point in his career, neither is Marquis Teague. That said, we should look at their strengths and weaknesses.

Nate is what he is. He's a scorer, but not much of a facilitator or defender.

Teague is a facilitator, has only shown flashes of looking to his own offense, and has played pretty well on the defensive end comparitively. He is still going to make some frustrating decisions both on offense and on defense.

With Hinrich out, I say that Teague's skillset is more valuable with the starters and Nate's is more valuable with the second unit. I still think they both should see about equal time on the floor, unless one player is clearly outperforming the other in a specific game or matchup.

When Kirk comes back, I think that Teague has earned himself into more regular minutes. I still think Nate has a larger role on this team, but Teague could definitely get some matchup work. Perhaps Nate and Teague could even see some floor time together while Rip is still on the sideline.

#3 ·
Have you guys seen enough of Teague yet to have any opinion on his ceiling compared to his brother? I was pissed when we were up in the draft and instead of taking any of the guys I was welcoming (Moultrie, PJIII, Ezeli, Taylor, Lamb, Teague), we traded the pick. Sounds like his lack of J wouldn't work here, but I'm very curious about him, still, as I'd heard he was a clearly better prospect than Jeff.

#5 ·
Jeff is a much better scorer and shooter, and always has been (and may always be). Whereas Marquis may already be a better defender and is a more natural point guard and playmaker. Both are very quick off the dribble but I think Marquis may be a bit faster and a more deft ballhandler.

In terms of style, Jeff Teague is more like Tony Parker...Marquis Teague is more like Rajon Rondo. (Not implying impact, just style of play)

#4 ·
Marquis Teague is only 19 yrs old; turns 20 in April. Any 19-yr old that can do what he did the other night against New Jersey is very impressive. Not the first time this season either.

As a rule of thumb I'd rather ride Marquis because he actually has a future on this team. He's on a cheap contract for the next 3-4 years. And has way more raw talent than Nate. Let's try to maximize that investment by developing him with on-court time. Aside from that, he looks to be a better defender and ballhandler.

Nate will likely not be here beyond this season. He signed the vet minimum for one year because he couldn't find anything better with the new CBA. He is undoubtedly seeking a bigger deal next year. That said, he is still very useful as the game demands it. Sometimes you just need a wild card scorer like him to ignite the offense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.