Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Return to Glory
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOVE THE SITE AND AM SO GLAD THAT THERE IS NOW A PL FORUM! Hope it can become successful. No one at Navy talks basketball (probably because of 3-26), so this is a place I can go!

Good story by the Washington Times.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ts-to-turn-page-from-3-26/?page=all#pagebreak

Have two new coaches on the staff in Kendrick Saunders (from Princeton and before that Army) and Ernie Nestor (a great X-and-O's guy) from Missouri. Was credited with much of Ricardo Ratliffe's and Kim English's success last year at Mizzou.

Also, have heard a rumor that Nate Snodgrass has already left plebe summer (not for everyone, I guess), which would be a huge blow to Navy's recruiting class. He was going to play A LOT at point guard / shooting guard.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Thanks for posting!
Wow, 3-26 was last year? Guess you have nowhere to go but up!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome GoNavy12!

Recruiting at the academies has always been difficult. While I think both programs can be successful within the Patriot with the right coach in place, there has always been difficulties in keeping players after their first season. This one seems a little quick, to have a recruit not even make it through plebe summer, but I guess that's what it's there for - to weed people out.

Anyway, as a fan of the conference I hope coaco DeChellis is given the chance to succeed. The women's program has become very good at Navy, so it's not as if it can't be done.

·
Return to Glory
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My guess is that Snodgrass got homesick quite quickly (or girlsick... one of the two). He is actually still at the Academy, so there is a VERY SMALL glimmer of hope that he will get his head on straight before he leaves.

Coach DeChellis is going about it the right way, bringing in tons of players. Since we have no scholarship limits, we can bring in as many as possible and see what happens.
We are going to be really, really young this year (no seniors), but I think our freshmen will be fairly solid and will be a good core to work around.

Freshmen are now:
• Kendall Knorr (6-4 SG)
• Tilman Dunbar (5-10 PG)
• Ryan Spadaford (6-4 SG)
• Will Kelly (6-9 C)
• Jerome Alexander (6-7 PF)
• Phil Guglielmo (6-5 SF)

I anticipate them all seeing pretty good action this year.

·
The Invisible Iron Fist
1,253 Posts
Welcome, GoNavy12! It's pretty cool to see more schools find this place. Let's keep it growing!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hello! Thanks for the info. I'm really looking forward to going to a BU-Navy game in Annapolis. It's such a beautiful campus and city, although I've never seen the arena. I'm sure it's a great atmosphere too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Navy lost a brilliant young player, JJ Avila, before the start of the conference round-robin last season and look shattered after that point. By late in the season they were competitive, but DeChellis definitely had some adversity in his maiden season in Annapolis.

·
Return to Glory
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Avila has since transferred to Richmond. He was "probably" going to be a first-team all-Patriot League selection despite playing on an 0-14 league team. He was that good in our league, and was a loss that sets a program back a couple years, in my opinion.

You are right though... We were very competitive (except for the PL Tournament vs. Bucknell) and the guys were still hungry and showing up to practice 30-45 minutes before it started to get in extra work. Usually on teams that stink, they punch a clock, practice and leave.

The good thing is that it can only go up and it will. Have heard really good things about the freshman and that they just "make shots", something NO ONE on the team could do last year.

·
Return to Glory
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello! Thanks for the info. I'm really looking forward to going to a BU-Navy game in Annapolis. It's such a beautiful campus and city, although I've never seen the arena. I'm sure it's a great atmosphere too.
Would love to have you and am excited about our trips to Boston -- one of America's best cities. I lived up in Portsmouth, N.H., for a few years and LOVED visiting Boston whenever I could. Our arena is the nicest in the league (Bucknell fans may argue on that) and the atmosphere is cozy, not real crazy. When (and if) we are good, it can get to be a pretty tough place to play, but right now its very laid back.

·
Return to Glory
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nate Snodgrass, an incoming freshman, has officially left Navy according to his Twitter (@nate_snodgrass) after just 2.5 weeks of plebe summer. My guess is that he will end up at St. Francis (Pa.), his other school in consideration.

A combo guard, he would have pushed for a starting spot right off the bat.

If I had a guess right now (I love to speculate, this is our lineup):
C - Will Kelly (Fr.) / Jared Smoot (So.)
F - Worth Smith (So.) / Jerome Alexander (Fr.) / James Loupos (Jr.)
G - Kendall Knorr (Fr.) / Phil Guglielmo (Fr.) / Ryan Spadaford (Fr.)
G - Isaiah Roberts (Jr.) / Thurgood Wynn (Jr.) / Brandon Venturini (So.)
G - Tilman Dunbar (Fr.) / Brennan Wyatt (Jr.) / Kevin Alter (Fr.)

Some youth on the team, I guess.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Any guesses on a win total this year GoNavy? Have to figure it'll be more than 3.

Maybe there should be an over/under prediction for basketball wins? That'd be an interesting thread.

·
Return to Glory
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any guesses on a win total this year GoNavy? Have to figure it'll be more than 3.

Maybe there should be an over/under prediction for basketball wins? That'd be an interesting thread.
I would go 9.5.
Our schedule is way dumbed down this year. Toughest games are Siena, UAB, TCU, at Tulane and at Norfolk State.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would go 9.5.
Our schedule is way dumbed down this year. Toughest games are Siena, UAB, TCU, at Tulane and at Norfolk State.
AU is going to be having what could politely be called a "rebuilding year", and the Midshipmen often have our number when we're not careful. I'm really hoping to make the game in Annapolis, it should be a good one.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Would love to have you and am excited about our trips to Boston -- one of America's best cities. I lived up in Portsmouth, N.H., for a few years and LOVED visiting Boston whenever I could. Our arena is the nicest in the league (Bucknell fans may argue on that) and the atmosphere is cozy, not real crazy. When (and if) we are good, it can get to be a pretty tough place to play, but right now its very laid back.

Hopefully, the Navy game at BU would be one of the games in Agganis Arena. Don't mean to brag, but Agganis is BU-tee-ful....:)

·
Return to Glory
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/072412aaa.html

Navy released their official recruiting class (due to Academy regulations, they have to wait until I-Day which is late June, since we don't sign letters of intent). Seems like DeChellis has gone after some shooters.

I still say we start three freshmen next year.
C) Will Kelly - Fr.
PF) Worth Smith - So.
SF) Phil Guglielmo - Fr. / Kendall Knorr - Fr.
SG) Isaiah Roberts - Jr.
PG) Tilman Dunbar - Fr.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/072412aaa.html

Navy released their official recruiting class (due to Academy regulations, they have to wait until I-Day which is late June, since we don't sign letters of intent). Seems like DeChellis has gone after some shooters.

I still say we start three freshmen next year.
C) Will Kelly - Fr.
PF) Worth Smith - So.
SF) Phil Guglielmo - Fr. / Kendall Knorr - Fr.
SG) Isaiah Roberts - Jr.
PG) Tilman Dunbar - Fr.
Is it tough to figure out where else these guys got offers? I know recruiting for the Naval Academy is obviously a bit different, but I'm curious.

·
Return to Glory
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Will Kelly -- Don't know where else he had offers.
Jerome Alexander -- I know Radford and VMI offered.
Kendall Knorr -- Elon, Gardner-Webb, Western Carolina and Wofford were all interested
Phil Guglielmo -- Believe just the Citadel
Richard Kuzma -- Incredibly smart kid; Army, MIT and Cal Tech wanted him. Likely on JV.
Tilman Dunbar -- Colgate, Princeton, Cornell, Penn and American all were really interested.
Ryan Spadaford -- Colgate, NJIT

It is tough to recruit here. A lot of where we are and how to become successful is player development. We really look for "diamonds in the rough". Players that may not be great HS players, but have talent and with some coaching, can become pretty good.

From what I have seen and heard, Phil Guglielmo can be one of those players. He committed when he was 6-4, is now about 6-6 and might still be growing. He is long and lanky and gets great elevation on his jump-shot. He is already a good outside shooter that is fairly quick with good size. I like him as a player.

One other good thing is that we can recruit as many players as we want, since everyone is on scholarship.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That is quite weak. Hopefully, they get their "sealegs" under them this year and rebound with a tougher schedule the following year. That schedule is an RPI killer...........

·
Return to Glory
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think we need to worry much about RPI this year... We won three games last year. Just trying to maybe get a few more wins. Also with this year's schedule, the only "new" games are against IPFW (no idea why a home-and-home with them), Binghamton (were scheduled to play them last year but they backed out thus forcing it to this year), Bryant and Northern Kentucky -- I know not murderer's row, but good, winnable games for us.

There is no sense is playing a schedule that Bucknell or Lafayette have put together and get our brains beat in by 50 points every game. And we don't need the money from guarantee games, so that is not much of an issue either.

I do know, either next year (2013-14) and the following year (2014-15), that we are in the Hall of Fame Classic at Mohegan Sun, which gives us four pretty tough games. They had approached us last year and we were slated to go to Ohio State and Seton Hall, then play two games at Mohegan Sun, but DeChellis asked for a reprieve after knowing what kind of team we would have and to not get our faces kicked in.

Either way, its 100 days to the season opener! GO NAVY!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts