Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance?sort=home_pct&year=2004&seasonType=2

Not surprising to see the two fast paced, high scoring teams with 100% or higher attendance at home games. The Kings and Mavs' playing styles are great for the NBA, and if they can win a championship playing like they do then we could see alot of coaches run a more free offense and push the ball up court quicker... probably the best way to increase scoring in today's games.

Lakers, Spurs and New York round out the top 5. The biggest surprise are the TrailBlazers, who are 25th. The Rose Garden is a pretty active place but with the inconsistent play attendance numbers have dropped. They were 5th in the league last year.

The top two teams seen on the road? Lakers and Cavs.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
lol

Very Interesting.
According to the Boston Globe Celtics sales were up a lot when they traded away Antoine Walker because everyone in Boston hated him so much. (That has been contridicted since by the standing ovation he got when he came back to town)

So much for the Boston Globe (owned by the New York times. (what a shock) knowing their butt's from their elbow's.

You would think a paper known for such amazing sports writers such as Bob Ryan and Jackie McMullen :laugh: would know what they are talking about.:laugh: :D

Sorry I just have to laugh at this.

Interesting to see Dallas on top.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mattsanity</b>!
That is ludicrous. Raptors are. These people don't know how to flippin' do a census.
Ahaha... maybe you should teach them ol wise one.

Anyway, I'm surprised the Cavs arent at the top.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Mavs and Kings lead in terms of percentage, but for the second year in a row the Pistons lead the league in average attendance per game (they have a bigger arena).

So there goes the theory that you need a high powered offense to put people in the seats.

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JNice</b>!

Ahaha... maybe you should teach them ol wise one.

Anyway, I'm surprised the Cavs arent at the top.
Yeah it is sad for the Cavs and even saider for the people in the Cleveland area. Yes the Cavs are not a great team but every game that is televised you can see alot of empty blue seats. I wish I lived closer to Cleveland cause I would be walking up for home games and buying tickets at their window.

What is even saider then the Cavs attendece is the Grizzles and the Nets. The Grizziles do play in a horrible arena but they have a winning team and have some exciting players in J-Will, Gasol and Swift you would think fans would come for the entertainment. The Nets are the top team in their division and have the second worst attendence. Not much more to say about them except I hope Kidd likes playing in the Bronx.

The one thing you can tell by these statistics is that the teams that have great ownership are the ones that lead in attendence. THey know to put out a entertainning team and treat the fans.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
This is the 8th year in a row the Lakers have been in the top two in road attendance BTW.

It's ironic that the most hated team is also the most loved.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Jemel Irief</b>!
This is the 8th year in a row the Lakers have been in the top two in road attendance BTW.

No, they're hated. Everyone wants to see the Lakers because they're a good draw. It's like watching Mike Tyson, you hate the guy, but you want to watch him box.

The Lakers are to basketball as Mike Tyson is to boxing.

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Houston fans are just quiet... havent heard monster roars since the Hakeem days. Even when the Toyota Center is sold out, you don't see the fans get rowdy and cheer loudly. Hopefully we can turn it around like Denver did.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PetroToZoran</b>!

No, they're hated. Everyone wants to see the Lakers because they're a good draw. It's like watching Mike Tyson, you hate the guy, but you want to watch him box.

The Lakers are to basketball as Mike Tyson is to boxing.
According to Sports Illustrated the Lakers have been voted as the favorite basketball team in every state except the ones where a local team is present, then the Lakers are #2.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts

Hey I watch every laker game that I can. But it's not with loving eyes. I'm sure that's part of it.

In addition to the fact people like to see stars and the lakers are chock full of them, and they are always talked about to death on television....

but yeah. It doesn't suprise me at all that the Lakers are so popular on the road.

·
_(&#12484;)_&#3626;&#3657;&#3657;&#3657;&#3657;&#3
28,008 Posts

According to Sports Illustrated the Lakers have been voted as the favorite basketball team in every state except the ones where a local team is present, then the Lakers are #2.
Therefore, they aren't hated....

Look at any NBA.com poll to see how "hated" the Lakers are. Shaq and Kobe are the answers to every single question. :rolleyes:

NBA.com Poll of the Day

"Who's the Skinniest Player in the NBA?

Shaquille O'Neal 83%
Kobe Bryant 13%
Shawn Bradley 1%
Jermaine O'Neal 0%
The Other Lakers 3%"

·
Registered
115 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mike luvs KG</b>!
Mavs and Kings lead in terms of percentage, but for the second year in a row the Pistons lead the league in average attendance per game (they have a bigger arena).

So there goes the theory that you need a high powered offense to put people in the seats.
You seem to forget that ARCO is one of the smallest arenas in the league.

They sell out every single game and still many of us can't get to see games live. When the single tickets go on sale they sell out in 2 minutes (and I am very serious about that. It's horrible trying to get any tickets :upset: )

In order to get season tickets there is a 3yr waiting list. That's a big reason they want to build a new arena. Believe me when they build an arena w/over 20 thousand seats that will get filled up, each and every last seat, every single game

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rawse</b>!

Therefore, they aren't hated....
[/b]
It is possible to be the most hated and loved. Unlike the Grizzlies there aren't people that are apathetic towards the Lakers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts