Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a different forum there was/is a discussion about double-double players (specifically Brian Grant). After checking some stats, I found some interesting numbers.

I checked the number of double-doubles that today's leading rebounders have gotten over their career, and divided that number by the number of games they started to get a percentage.

Anyone want to guess who has the highest percentage of double-doubles in games they started? (remember, I basically only checked rebounders, not assists players)

The player in 2nd place, Carlos Boozer, gets a DD in 40% of the games he has started. Granted, this is partly due to the fact that he is only a second year player, and hasn't had as many starts as someone like Tim Duncan or Shaq. Still, in a season and a half, that ain't bad.

3rd place is Jermaine O'Neal. He has 110 DDs in his career, 38% of the games he started.

4rth is Jamal Magloire with DDs in 36% of the games he started
5th- Tim Duncan, 32% (158 total DDs)
Shawn Marion- 31%
Brad Miller- 28%
KG- 26% (161 total DDs)
Ben Wallace- 15%
Zydrunas Illgauskis, Shaq (104 DDs) and Abdur-Rahim get a DD in 14% of the games they start
Lamar Odom- 12%
Brian Grant- 11%

Anyone guess who is #1? Answer is below...

Zach Randolph has gotten a DD in 55% of the games he has started. (Like Boozer, this is a higher % because he hasn't started that many games, but it is still pretty good.)

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Yeah, stats are slanted because guys like Randolph and Jermaine sat on the bench until they were ready to be double double players where guys like KG played right away.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I find this really hard to believe, maybe its true though.

Shaq and Duncan both have career averages of 12+ rebounds, KG is at 10+.

Averages dont mean they get a double double every game, but its likely.

But good information, if this is true its definetly an interesting stat. I guess its because when bench players move into a starting position as post players, their main job is to rebound.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Some of these numbers seem really off. Unless I misread something, there's no way Shaq only has 104 double-doubles; a few others, like Duncan and Garnett, seem extremely low as well. These players probably put up 50+ a year when healthy.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah with those stats Shaq would average about 12 double doubles a year. Hardly likely.

:ttiwwp:

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Shaq had over 10 rebounds 60+ times in the 99-00 season. I didnt count how many times he scored over 10 in those game but he averaged almost 30 pts that year so I'm sure many of them.

This is like Shaqs 12th season, and 108 double doubles minus the 60 he got in 99-00 would equal 48 for the rest of his career. That would be like 48 double doubles in 11 seasons for SHAQ, thats not right.

My guess is Shaq is at atleast 250-300 double doubles.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by <b>MJG</b>!
Some of these numbers seem really off. Unless I misread something, there's no way Shaq only has 104 double-doubles; a few others, like Duncan and Garnett, seem extremely low as well. These players probably put up 50+ a year when healthy.
ESPN stats... I guess they are pretty accurate, but that is the only source I used. Check 'em yourself. Go to Espn/NBA/Players then in the headers click on statistics, and then scroll to the bottom part of the page and it gives you all sorts of secondary stats.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought it seemed low for players like Duncan too... but.... there it was. But, I just went back to get a link, and now I see that they (ESPN) was only compiling double-doubles for the past THREE years. Kinda puts a funk on this thread........

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mongolmike</b>!
I thought it seemed low for players like Duncan too... but.... there it was. But, I just went back to get a link, and now I see that they (ESPN) was only compiling double-doubles for the past THREE years. Kinda puts a funk on this thread........
ahh I see, I knew something was odd. Good job on trying to come up with these numbers though.

Duncan in the past three seasons, plus this one would have played 284 games with 158 double doubles. Thats like 55% which is 1st place with Randolph, except over a much longer period of time.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
KG has alot more than 161 DD, he like like 60 something last year, What that stat is saying is kg only has 100 DD in the other 7 years he's played is hard to believe. his career average is a DD so he must have a lot. Same with guys like shaq and Duncan

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Very misleading indeed.

Tim Duncan should be first in terms of percentage of double/double per game and Shaq should be leading overall for the last 10 years. Not to mention players like Hakeem, Karl, Shawn, Charles, David, Pat etc.

Maybe NBA.com has a longer track record of double doubles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts