Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to preface this post by saying that I am not looking forward to the 2003 draft for the Bulls. That is to say, I'm not getting my hopes up for some premier player like I have the past 4 years. I want the Bulls to win now. But realistically, they are going to find themselves somewhere in the lottery and may very well end up with a top 5 pick.

I had formerly said that I would want a quality role player out of this draft rather than a star - a guy like Emeka Okafor. But I am beginning to realize that the top of the 2003 draft might end up being the best ever!

Of course everyone knows about Lebron James. But I am beginning to become convinced that he may end up being the 2nd best wing player in the '03 draft. The #1? Carmelo Anthony. I have watched several games of Anthony's this season and it doesn't take a genius to figure out he COULD become the BEST PLAYER IN THE NBA. I am not trying to exaggerate - I actually think it could be true.

Consider this: 25 PPG, 10 rpg, 3 apg, 2.2 spg, 50% FG, 69% FT, 35% 3 Pt FG. Just look at that statline! And he's just a freshman. As for his NBA potential, he's a legit 6'8 (almost seems taller on the court) who has the skills to play SG or SF in the NBA. He is super-athletic with an NBA-ready body. He has a smooth shot with extended range. He gets to the hole with ease. He plays defense and rebounds. And perhaps most importantly, he plays within himself and with supreme confidence. He has the true makings of a superstar. Nothing against Lebron because he is obviously something special, but Anthony might very well end up being the better player.

Implications for the Bulls? Well, I think in the 2003 draft there are several GREAT consolation prizes for the losers of the Lebron sweepstakes. Anthony is just the tip of the iceberg. If Darko Milicic is as good as advertised, that will be an unbelievable top 3. And we are also hearing amazing things about Sophocles Schortsianitis. Any team that gets into the top 5 should really be getting their hands on a super-stud.

So I'm not going to be too wishful for the Bulls. I feel comfortable with the pieces we currently have in place and would be fine if we got a guy like Okafor who would pretty much bring toughness, defense and rebounding to the table. BUT, if we do end up with a higher draft pick this year, let's just say the implications could be scary.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm not saying I disagree or agree , but ...

Lebron tore him up the times where he and Carmelo played .

I like both players and it the bulls have a chance to pick up Carmelo (and James has already been chosen ) , then I think it would be a good pick , but there's no way that any GM is going to pass up on James , unless there's a blockbuster trade that involves one of the top five players in the league.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, Lebron did not tear up Anthony. I believe they scored 34 and 36 in their matchup last year (can't remember who who which total) and Anthony's Oak Hill squad won the game. Also, Anthony had a lot of other scorers on his team. Either way, however, it was only one game and wouldn't tell the whole story.

And I have the utmost respect for Lebron's game and potential, and he is very likely to be the top player from the 2003 draft. My only point is that Anthony is a lot closer to James (and even potentially better) than the media chooses to admit and I, for one, would not be surprised if Anthony ends up the better NBA player.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
With our luck, we'll actually end up getting LeBron, some on the board will bring up the word "dynasty" again, and 20 games into next season half the posts on this board will be saying how we "should have taken Carmelo or Darko." :rolleyes:

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
I think you are right on CHi Bulls Fan. I get this feeling that if all the hype was not centered on Lebron James it would all be centered on Carmelo Anthony.

He is definitely the most complete "NBA ready" player coming out this year. Yes, he is a Freshman, but he is one of those Oak Hill alumni freshman. They have been running college, if not pro, level sets for four years.

He looks like the perfect two/three. I think the best comparison for him would be Mike Dunleavy, but with a little more aptitude to bang down low. He might not have the range of Dunleavy's J, but he might even hit it woith a little more consistancy.

I think the five things that seperate James and Anthony are outside shooting, explosiveness, court vision, D and muturity.

1) Outside shooting: LJ has to work on his shot if he does not want to be limited to a Darius Miles type of game. Yes, his shot is much better than Miles's right now, but this will be a limiting factor in his Pro game especially if he wants to play the 2. Anthony has a pro-ready shot right now. Quick release, good if not great range and he seems to stick it consistently if he is open. His J makes Anthony more of a sure thing for Pro teams.

2) Explosiveness-- Both are fast. Anthony maybe more on the deceptive side (much like Dunleavy). You would have to give the edge to LJ for his sick first step.

3) Court vision- Anthony has good court vision. More importantly he makes smart passes--rarely forcing anything and often finding just the right type of pass to set up his teammates perfectly. This is something many pg's just dont understand. THis being said although LJ forces things, he might have Magic Johnson type court vision. Edge LJ with serious props going to Anthony.

4) Defense: THis is going to be the major factor limiting Jame's playing time when he first enters the league. THis is also the largest risk in drafting James. No, LJ dosen't play any defense, but truth be told none is required of him. It will be interesting to see how quick he picks up good man-on-man skills. LJ has all the physical talent to be a lock down defender, but some players never figure it out. Anthony likewise will be limited by his college system. Syracuse's reliance on a 2-3 zone is hindering his development of man-on-man skills. I actually do not know what type of defender he is, but I would be shocked if he was anything less than middle of the road.

5) Maturity: This is the big factor seperating the two players. Anthony has been playing five years of college ball (counting his four years at Oak Hill HS). He knows when to pass, when to shoot and how to be effective on the court. Many NBA players don't have his feel for the game. LJ is as green as the eyes of my last Irish girlfriend. There is definitely going to be a multi-year learning curve at work. Anthony is ready to contribute to a good NBA team immidiately.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CCCP,

Thanks for the comments, and I you are right on in your assessments. I'm glad you noted Anthony's passing ability. That part of his game probably goes overlooked, but he is a tremendously smart efficient (if unspectacular) passer. From what I've seen he makes a lot of smart feeds down low when he penetrates leading to his solid assist numbers (3.2 apg).

As for Lebron's defense, I think he is actually a very good defender naturally, but seems a bit poorly coached and/or motivated on that end of the court. He has the physical tools and good instincts to be a lockdown defender in the NBA, this much is certain. I expect he will be someday.

One final prediction I'd like to note, there will be a HUGE "Anthony is better than James" bandwagon next year when the two are rooks. I firmly expect Anthony to produce 17+ ppg next year, while James will have more of an adjustment to make. And I will laugh when that bandwagon begins because only time will tell who will be the better player - and it still likely favors James.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Reguardless-- both will make their teams very pleased they made the decision to draft them.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I saw Anthony play, and I have to say that I see alot of Pippen in him. He is gonna be a stud. I haven't seen LeBron play yet, though, so I can't really comment on him. Anybody seen Darko play?

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Yeh Louie,

The Pippen comparison is very good for parts of Carmelo's game, Passing specifically. Pippen found a way to get the ball into a teammates hands in just the right way so they were ready to make a move. Its not so much that Anthony threads amazing passes ala, magic or kidd, as much as he just sets up people perfectly.

I see Anthony as having a better shot from the perimiter and not being near as fast. Of course, its amazing to see how much faster players get when they have a professional training regimine. Pippen probably was the fastest player his size in the league.

And I just don't know about the defensive side of things. Pippen was one of the greatest defenders I have ever seen and I have never even really seen Anthony play man-on-man ball.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Without a second thought

(This post is assuming that Darko doesn't get let in next season an that the Bulls dont make any trades before next years draft)

Lets assume the Bulls don't land a top three pick, and we therefore get something aroung the 8-11 pick range. I would give up the pick and Jay for the second pick in order to be able to take Anthony. This guy is going to be a top player. I would even throw in Hassel as well if that is what it would take. I also believe this guy is a small forward, some will say there's not much difference b/w the two spots SF and SG), and often there isn't, but I think Carmelo is a prototype small forward. He's a rebounder, a passer and has a wonderful small forwards body.

Two arguements against this idea.
Arg: That's giving up too much for one player.
Ans: Carmelo is near to undoubtedly going to be better than Jay (and I'm a Jay fan), and right behind Jay in Chi-town is Jamal. As far as giving up Hassel as well, it would be a near necessity, we dont need any more players at the 2 or 3, we dont have enough time for them as it is.

Arg: If Anthony is going to better than Jay, why would others go for it.
Ans: Look at some of the lower teams in the league, look at their strengths and weakness (for now and the future).
GSW: Dunleavy looks to be there future SF.
MEM: Could they have more forwards.
DEN: Drafted two forwards this last draft.
CLE: Miles/Davis would account for there SF spot quite comfortably.
NY: Looking for a good point guard for how long now??
I cant be bothered going through any more teams, but I think you should get my point that its at least a chance a team would be more interested in a PG than a SF.

Anywho, I think you get my drift, I think Carmelo Anthony is going to be an absolute star. Just check out his FRESHMAN stats, here at the start of the season.

GO BULLS

Question: Do the Bulls have a decent all-roung swingman for Anthony to learn from??? (hint hint)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
if the bulls do end up with a pick in the 8-11 range, who are the best candidates to be picked in those slots?

and please don't say sofkis sukiyakigeewillickers from greece. we don't need another "baby shaq"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: Without a second thought

Originally posted by <b>mgolding</b>!
(This post is assuming that Darko doesn't get let in next season an that the Bulls dont make any trades before next years draft)

Lets assume the Bulls don't land a top three pick, and we therefore get something aroung the 8-11 pick range. I would give up the pick and Jay for the second pick in order to be able to take Anthony. This guy is going to be a top player. I would even throw in Hassel as well if that is what it would take. I also believe this guy is a small forward, some will say there's not much difference b/w the two spots SF and SG), and often there isn't, but I think Carmelo is a prototype small forward. He's a rebounder, a passer and has a wonderful small forwards body.

Two arguements against this idea.
Arg: That's giving up too much for one player.
Ans: Carmelo is near to undoubtedly going to be better than Jay (and I'm a Jay fan), and right behind Jay in Chi-town is Jamal. As far as giving up Hassel as well, it would be a near necessity, we dont need any more players at the 2 or 3, we dont have enough time for them as it is.

Arg: If Anthony is going to better than Jay, why would others go for it.
Ans: Look at some of the lower teams in the league, look at their strengths and weakness (for now and the future).
GSW: Dunleavy looks to be there future SF.
MEM: Could they have more forwards.
DEN: Drafted two forwards this last draft.
CLE: Miles/Davis would account for there SF spot quite comfortably.
NY: Looking for a good point guard for how long now??
I cant be bothered going through any more teams, but I think you should get my point that its at least a chance a team would be more interested in a PG than a SF.

Anywho, I think you get my drift, I think Carmelo Anthony is going to be an absolute star. Just check out his FRESHMAN stats, here at the start of the season.

GO BULLS

Question: Do the Bulls have a decent all-roung swingman for Anthony to learn from??? (hint hint)
lmao. Jay Williams and a lottery pick for Carmelo Anthony? Get a clue.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Bulls4Life that is a tough question because of not knowing who will be there in the 8-11 range my best guesses would be an Emeka Okafor or Darius Rice but there may some Euros in there that could be interesting

·
Registered
387 Posts
Re: Re: Without a second thought

Originally posted by <b>Outkast</b>!

lmao. Jay Williams and a lottery pick for Carmelo Anthony? Get a clue.

Yeah you're right we should just get another player who wants minutes (with a 8-11 pick) to put behind Curry, Chandler, Fizer, Baxter, Marshal, Rose, Robinson, Hassel, Hoiberg, Williams, Crawford and by then Mason Jr. We should really keep all these guys and try to get a few more players in free agency and in the second round. Our depth in the next few years is going to be a REAL HUGE problem.

The Bulls are now at a point where quality and chemistry are far more important the quantity. And in MY opinion (at this point in time) I think Anthony is going to be a significantly better player than Jay, and I think he would suit better to the team. And as I mentioned above (in another post), Im a fan of Jay.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
I thought I'd pull up this post for ole' times sake. Did you see that sick left handed layup he made last night. He only scored 18 (his only game this season under 20 pts) but he had a number of pro-level moves. As much as I love watching James I'm about ready to declare myself in the Anthony camp (don't hold me to it yet though).

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Its never to early to think about the draft..... :)

Carmelo would be a fine pick, no doubt.

My top two targets this year, though there have been no assurances of either of them coming out:

1) Darko Milicic - some fortunate lotto balls would have to land the Bulls a #2 or #3 pick... if he's cleared by the NBA, this kid is Dirk w/ a better post game

2) Hassan Adams - assuming the Bulls get a #6-#10 range of pick AND Hassan declares after his frosh year... he would be a great fit, a lock-down defender and uber athlete and scorer

VD

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
i dont think Milic would fit in with our team, he's being projected as a future Center and maybe Power Forward with post moves that draw comparisons to Tim Duncan

I think Carmelo Anthony would be GREAT for this team, i dont ever see tyson developing into a big-time scorer for us, it dosent look like he's improving much on many of his biggest weaknesses such as ball handling, range and touch around the basket. id like to see tyson palm the ball, can he palm the ball? im not sure.

·
I never slice.
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JOHNNY_BRAVisimO</b>!
i dont think Milic would fit in with our team, he's being projected as a future Center and maybe Power Forward with post moves that draw comparisons to Tim Duncan
Yeah, really... what on earth would the Bulls do with the next Tim Duncan?

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Never seen Milicic play so I can't make judgements.

God, Anthony would be a gem in the triangle. His mid range game would be deadly. He just plays so relaxed--you cant teach that...and I always love sfs who can board.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I'd trade Jay for Anthony. I don't think that's crazy at all. Jamal, Jalen and Carmelo w/ Tyson and Donyell. Why not?

But I also don't mind keeping Jay for his entire career. Either way you get a good ballplayer.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts