Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay compare players taken 1-30 in the 2002 NBA draft to ther players now and in history:gbanana: :rbanana: :banana: :gbanana: :banana: :rbanana:

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
I think you need some time to anazyle this really, but the ROY was a good start, he was extremely solid... and is not gonna be a center, if that pans out, that would make this a above average draft in my feeling, as noticed centers are hard to acquire... and 1 center can make a difference.

-Petey

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yao Ming - Arvidas Sabonis
Jason Williams - Tim Hardaway
Mike Dunleavy - (very poor man) Tony Kukoc
Drew Gooden - Antawn Jamison
Nicolox Tskitishvili - Dirk Nowitzki
DaJuan Wagner - Alfonso Ford (playing in europe, Peristeri last year, signed for Siena. Their games are very similar)
Nene' Hilario - Hakeem Olajuwon (in his dreams)
Chris Wilcox - Antonio McDyess
Amare Stoudamire - Shawn Kemp
Caron Butler - Paul Pierce
Jared Jeffries - another Tony Kukoc?

too lazy to go on...

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ryoga</b>!
Yao Ming - Arvidas Sabonis
Jason Williams - Tim Hardaway
Mike Dunleavy - (very poor man) Tony Kukoc
Drew Gooden - Antawn Jamison
Nicolox Tskitishvili - Dirk Nowitzki
DaJuan Wagner - Alfonso Ford (playing in europe, Peristeri last year, signed for Siena. Their games are very similar)
Nene' Hilario - Hakeem Olajuwon (in his dreams)
Amare Stoudamire - Shawn Kemp
Caron Butler - Paul Pierce
Jared Jeffries - another Tony Kukoc?

too lazy to go on...
Yao Ming is not even close to the style of Sabonis game...
All the others are good comparisons, including the Nene - Hakeem one. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Yao Ming - Shawn Bradley's hype before he was drafted
Jay Williams - Isaiah Thomas
Mike Dunleavy - Detlef Shremph
Drew Gooden - Clifford Robinson with vision
Nickoloz Tskitishvili - a taller Drazen Petrovich
Dajuan Wagner - Byron Scott
Maybyner "Nene" Hilario - Moses Malone
Amare Stoudemire - Paul Silas w/ ups
Caron Butler - Reggie Theus
Jared Jeffries - Reggie Lewis
Melvin Ely - a thicker Nazr Mohammed
Marcus Haislip - Kenyon Martin
Freddie Jones - Jason Richardson w/ a slower first step
Bostjan Nachbar - Hedo Turkoglu
Jiri Welsch - Brent Barry
Juan Dixon - Troy Hudson
Curtis Borchardt - Bill Wennington w/ a spin move
Ryan Humphrey - Stacey King
Kareem Rush - an athletic Michael Cooper
Qyntel Woods - Lamar Odom
Casey Jacobsen - Craig Ehlo
Tayshaun Prince - Donyell Marshall
Nenad Krstic - Joel Pryzbilla
Frank Williams - Mark Aguire
John Salmons - Trenton Hassell
Chris Jefferies - a smoother Charles Smith
Dan Dickau - Bob Cousy
Steve Logan - Tim Hardaway

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RollWithEm</b>!
Mike Dunleavy - Detlef Shremph
Oh, please, his name is Detlef Schrempf. :eek:

I would compare Jared Jeffries to Rashard Lewis, just without the shooting touch. Watch this footage by HoopsTV.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
id compare butler more to bonzi wells then pierce

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JOHNNY_BRAVisimO</b>!
id compare butler more to bonzi wells then pierce
Butler's stroke is much cleaner than Bonzi's, IMO. Also, I consider Bonzi a stronger post player than either Butler or Pierce. I'm sticking to my guns on this one.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JGKoblenz</b>!

Yao Ming is not even close to the style of Sabonis game...
All the others are good comparisons, including the Nene - Hakeem one. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
actually they are pretty similar except that ming is a better shot blocker

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RollWithEm</b>!

Butler's stroke is much cleaner than Bonzi's, IMO. Also, I consider Bonzi a stronger post player than either Butler or Pierce. I'm sticking to my guns on this one.
i never got a chance to see reggie theus play, how was his game?

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JOHNNY_BRAVisimO</b>!
i never got a chance to see reggie theus play, how was his game?
His shot was very clean. No excess motion in his stroke. He played lose D, but good D. He was very good at forcing his oponent to make jump shots. He never got beat of the dribble. He wasn't a very heady player, but he somehow wound up in the right place at the right time. I see alot of him in Butler.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
I wouldn't compare Jeffries to Theus doesn't have that great a knack for scoring ,Theus could flat out score but he was a heist master didn't like to pass the rock,

Ming-Ralph Sampson
JWill-bigger Calvin Murphy
Dunleavy-Rick Barry
Gooden-Marques Johnson
Nocoloz-more athletic Gugliotta
Wagner-World B. Free
Hillario-Maurice Lucas
Wilcox-Larry Nance
Stoudamire-Mcdyess
Butler-Paul Pressey
Jeffries-poorman's Lamar Odom
Ely-Juwan Howard
Haislip-Jumain Jones
Freddie Jones-John Starks
Nachbar-Sasha Danilovic
Welch-Danny Ainge
Juan Dixon-Faster Terry Porter
Borchardt-Doleac
Ryan Humphrey-Darvin Ham
Kareem Rush-Michael Redd
Qyntel Woods-Paul Pierce
Casey Jacobsen-Smaller Matt Bullard
Tayshaun Prince-Mo Pete
kristic-Nesterovic
Frank Willaims-Sydney Moncrief
John Salmons-Raja Bell
Chris Jeffries-early Lafonso Ellis
Dickau-Mark Price
Steve Logan-Sherman Douglass

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Frank Williams - Sydney Moncrief

I am going to have to say that is an awful comparison. Sydney was a beast.

I think the Theus comparison was being made to Butler., not Jeffries. They somehow compared Jeffries to Reggie Lewis. I am still trying to figure that one out as well.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jazzy1</b>!
Dunleavy-Rick Barry
Haislip-Jumain Jones
Juan Dixon-Faster Terry Porter
Frank Willaims-Sydney Moncrief
These four made my head hurt. Rick Barry and Dunleavy? Please explain because I don't see it. Jones and Haislip play totally different games, and Terry Porter was more like Frank Williams than Dixon.

Oh, and the worst of all... Frank Williams couldn't carry Moncrief's jock in a suitcase!

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
All of those comparisons were Poormans comparisons otherwords, not exactley but a much lesser effective one, Now Dunleavy has a lot of what Rick Barry had Sans the attitude, nice pull up jumper,use of good ball fakes, knack for being in the right place at the right time and lastly good passers, Now Haislip is exactly like Jones both are athletic both are very raw no really tangible developed skills, both are 6'8 -6'9 both are streak shooters not really consistent, both will ride the pine though Haislip may get a tad more run Haislips not a bigman he's a forward. Dixon is more like a Cassell to me but I thought that might be a reach, but he's like Porter in that he has some pg skills though not prototypical, he can play the two, they both can hit the three and they both are smart and determined, not alike body type wise but both undersized sg's in reality. Dixon will be a steady long time NBA player,

Now I'll concede that comparing Williams to Moncrief is a stretch but comparing Williams to Porter is equally a stretch, I think Williams can be a defensive factor get lots of steals and control a team but there's not really a good comparison for williams.

Mark my Words you'll hear them comparing Dunleavy to Barry before long ,hell they compare Dunleavy to Bird I think that is a stretch and NBA DRAFt.net did that, Dunleavy was drafted that high to be that good and I have a hunch he will.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
lol, i'm like the only one who compares Yao Ming to Manute Bol

:laugh:

I like the Jay williams to Tim Hardaway comparison though, thats a new one, but it seems pretty acurate

·
Registered
135 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jazzy1</b>!

Mark my Words you'll hear them comparing Dunleavy to Barry before long ,hell they compare Dunleavy to Bird I think that is a stretch and NBA DRAFt.net did that, Dunleavy was drafted that high to be that good and I have a hunch he will.

From what I saw in the summer leagues, Dunleavy will be a fine NBA player. I read an article in SI that showed the war room of the Cavs during the draft. They were high on Dunleavy and wer offering Miller and their pick for DJr. The Warriors of course turned that down. That would be great if Dunleavy becomes a player even close to Barry and Bird. Hopefully the after effects of the Webber-Nelson era are over. :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts