Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rank the criterion in order of importance. Number 1 being most important:

• Filling a need.
  • Drafting a young player with upside.
  • Drafting the most proven player with the best stats.

Raymond Felton was the best player of National Champs UNC last year but was drafted lower than Marvin Williams. The Hawks drafted Marvin b/c he was younger & had a lot of upside even though they were abundant with promising forwards like Harrington, Childress and Smith. They needed a point guard the most but decided to pass on Chris Paul who is the undeniable Rookie of the Year which I bet the Hawks are regretting right now.

· Premium Member
21,860 Posts
neoxsupreme said:
Rank the criterion in order of importance. Number 1 being most important:

• Filling a need.
  • Drafting a young player with upside.
  • Drafting the most proven player with the best stats.

Raymond Felton was the best player of National Champs UNC last year but was drafted lower than Marvin Williams. The Hawks drafted Marvin b/c he was younger & had a lot of upside even though they were abundant with promising forwards like Harrington, Childress and Smith. They needed a point guard the most but decided to pass on Chris Paul who is the undeniable Rookie of the Year which I bet the Hawks are regretting right now.
Don't say "Marvin Williams" around me please....call him 'he who should not be named'.

· Top Of The Pops
27,460 Posts
RebelSun said:
Value (or perceived value) is the most important criteria.
Yeah, perceived value should always trump need. You trade or sign to address need, you draft talent. Because trades and signings allow you to preserve talent while addressing the need, whereas if you take a less-talented player in the draft just to fill a need, that's talent that you simply lose with no way to recoup it.

Reactions: Duck
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.