Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jared Cunningham becomes the 3rd opposing player from Boston University's historic 2010 CBI run to be drafted in the first round.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
That was the same tournament Corey Lowe wasn't interested in playing in
Way to ignore all the info and investigative journalism that has since come out... If by "not interested in playing in" you mean "had a torn groin and torn ligaments in his knee and Chambers rode him until his body gave out..." then yes, he wasn't interested in playing in it...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Way to ignore all the info and investigative journalism that has since come out... If by "not interested in playing in" you mean "had a torn groin and torn ligaments in his knee and Chambers rode him until his body gave out..." then yes, he wasn't interested in playing in it...
All I remember is him saying he felt his season was over when they didn't make the NCAA tournament and he implied the CBI wasn't an important enough tournament for him to keep playing. Maybe he was blowing smoke at the time and it was really about something else. I don't know.

Chambers never said much about it IIRC so we'll probably never know the whole story

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
All I remember is him saying he felt his season was over when they didn't make the NCAA tournament and he implied the CBI wasn't an important enough tournament for him to keep playing. Maybe he was blowing smoke at the time and it was really about something else. I don't know.

Chambers never said much about it IIRC so we'll probably never know the whole story
The most that has ever been said on the story (not to toot my own horn... just I actually did some digging instead of the globe staff who got a token comment from Chambers and that was all): http://www.onebidwonders.com/2011/11/30/1337/

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lowe did play in the first game @ Oregon State.

The other first rounder was Larry Sanders from VCU now with the Bucks. He has decent per minute numbers but doesn't play too much. Joey Rodriguez from VCU also got a lot of pub in the NCAA tournament the next year but did not make the NBA.

·
Premium Member
33,188 Posts
In a shock to absolutely no one Suero....did not get drafted. Good thing he left school and declared early for the draft though.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
In a shock to absolutely no one Suero....did not get drafted. Good thing he left school and declared early for the draft though.
So many names stand out for players who declared and had no shot. It's hard to tell if they were delusional or plan to play in Europe. Malik Wayns stands out for me. I notice Machado didn't get picked, although I imagine someone will scoop him up

·
Premium Member
33,188 Posts
So many names stand out for players who declared and had no shot. It's hard to tell if they were delusional or plan to play in Europe. Malik Wayns stands out for me. I notice Machado didn't get picked, although I imagine someone will scoop him up
Yeah, a lot of solid players didn't get drafted but I'm sure a couple will end up on some rosters after training camp.

The unfortunate thing about the NBA Draft is that unlike the first round, where players are drafted because of talent, the second round decision making is based almost entirely on financial reasons- that's why so many European players are taken in the second round because they can be stashed over in Europe.

If you are a US college player after pick 35- probably not getting drafted.

·
Premium Member
33,188 Posts
I love what the Celtics did in the draft BTW- Sullinger, Melo, and Kris Joseph, MoJo's younger brother. I think Joseph can make the Celtics roster.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I love what the Celtics did in the draft BTW- Sullinger, Melo, and Kris Joseph, MoJo's younger brother. I think Joseph can make the Celtics roster.
Kris Joseph was an absolute steal at 51. I think he makes it too.

I don't like the Melo pick because he's slow and not that skilled. And when the team is ready to rebuild presumably around Rondo and Bradley in another year, they don't exactly mesh. Same with Sullinger, although I liked that pick more. They definitely upgraded size which was one problem with this team. FWIW, I think Stiemsma will actually be better than Melo next year.

·
Premium Member
33,188 Posts
Kris Joseph was an absolute steal at 51. I think he makes it too.

I don't like the Melo pick because he's slow and not that skilled. And when the team is ready to rebuild presumably around Rondo and Bradley in another year, they don't exactly mesh. Same with Sullinger, although I liked that pick more. They definitely upgraded size which was one problem with this team. FWIW, I think Stiemsma will actually be better than Melo next year.
I don't like Melo either but he's 7'0'' that can block shots and play back up minutes in the front court at the least, with possible upside. Good pick with back-back picks like the Celtics had.

Sullinger is definitely a Celtics-type of player. He should fit in well.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,188 Posts
Yeah, a lot of solid players didn't get drafted but I'm sure a couple will end up on some rosters after training camp.

The unfortunate thing about the NBA Draft is that unlike the first round, where players are drafted because of talent, the second round decision making is based almost entirely on financial reasons- that's why so many European players are taken in the second round because they can be stashed over in Europe.

If you are a US college player after pick 35- probably not getting drafted.
Some teams will punt on their first round picks as well- I think Dallas drafted Tyler Zeller last night and then traded him for 3 second rd picks because they didn't want to have to pay the #15th pick guaranteed money.

·
Premium Member
33,188 Posts
NBA Draft interview with Darryl Partin. http://nbadraftblog.com/2012-articles/june/nba-draft-blog-interview-with-darryl-partin.html

I had no illusions he would be drafted, but it's nice he is getting some attention (although I wouldn't call him a 6'6" point guard!). If he develops a reliable three-point shot, he could end up playing at a high level league. He's got good length and a high release point.
He has at least two workouts- with Celtics and LA Clippers. More than any other AE player.

I don't think he's good enough now to play in the NBA, but unlike a lot of AE prospects that have come close recently Partin has the right size for the position he plays, so he has that going for him.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
He has at least two workouts- with Celtics and LA Clippers. More than any other AE player.

I don't think he's good enough now to play in the NBA, but unlike a lot of AE prospects that have come close recently Partin has the right size for the position he plays, so he has that going for him.
I wonder how much we are going to miss him this year. On the one hand, he could fill it up which was nice for an offensively challenged team. On the other, he took a lot of bad shots.

You're right. His length was and is one of his biggest strengths. I just can't see him having more success than John Holland.

·
Registered
14,160 Posts

At best overseas...he's got about as much of a chance at an NBA roster spot as Suero...translation...ZERO!

·
Premium Member
33,188 Posts
At best overseas...he's got about as much of a chance at an NBA roster spot as Suero...translation...ZERO!
Yeah, neither have much of a shot. Partin was a good 2''-3'' inches taller than most of the guards in the AE that would guard him- he also doesn't have the foot speed to match up with peers at that level.

At least with Suero he might have a chance to develop into prospect had he stayed another year and learned how to play organized basketball some more- but unfortunately we'll never know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts