Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone see that BS on NBA TONIGHT?

NBA Tonight went over a list of players that wanted to be traded... Jalen Rose was one...

another was Ben Gordon... the reasoning was he wants to start so he wouldn't mind changing teams... what kind of BS is that... I have never heard Ben complain about this?

Did anyone else see the segment?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
ben gordon wants to ditch us?

i heard on nba fastbreak tonight on espn 2 that ben gordon wants to start, and doesn't understand why he isn't, because he views himself as an all-star.

it was also mentioned that people close to him have sent out feelers around the league to see of the possibility of him moving on to a new club.

i really really hope this isn't true, but it's what this new dude on the show said, and he is in the know when it comes to what is going on in nba clubhouses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,021 Posts
Re: ben gordon wants to ditch us?

I think he should start, he had a great rookie year, worked his *** off in the offseason, and the problem of us in the earlier games of falling behind and having to play catchup is because the starting 5 can't score.

Though, I doubt the Skiles will change anything soon with the team winning the last couple of games and beatable opponents coming up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,975 Posts
Re: Anyone see that BS on NBA TONIGHT?

Horrible to hear but we knew it was coming. Unless your name is McHale, no one is ever content coming off the bench. Sixth man of the year is small potatoes when you can be a legitimate All Star candidate. Hopefully Ben doesn't start griping and turn this into a season long saga 'cuz Duhon and Kirk really should be the starters at this point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,148 Posts
Re: Anyone see that BS on NBA TONIGHT?

HAWK23 said:
NBA Tonight went over a list of players that wanted to be traded... Jalen Rose was one...

another was Ben Gordon... the reasoning was he wants to start so he wouldn't mind changing teams... what kind of BS is that... I have never heard Ben complain about this?

Did anyone else see the segment?
So the reasoning was based on speculation that Gordon might like to start? Please. Sounds a little weird to me. Gordon has a big role on a playoff team, my mind would be somewhat blown if he's not happy with that.

If it is true, color me concerned. Ben has stunk it up every time we've tried to start him (and Skiles did give it a legitimate shot in the pre-season). I'll chalk this one up to unsubstantiated NBA rumor mill BS, and hope that it's not true. If it is true Ben ought to get a grip, he's in a good situation and he's getting better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Re: ben gordon wants to ditch us?

funny thing...he played well for 2 games and suddenly he is an all star. this guy is a chucker. undersized. trade him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,211 Posts
Re: ben gordon wants to ditch us?

Ben Gordon will play for the Bulls for 4 years and then go to the Knicks as an unrestricted FA. Just a hunch. That seems to be the pattern.

Gordon is a good player, I love his scoring and shooting. But he just hasnt gotten it done as a starter. He struggles in that role. But coming off the bench he is brilliant. But having said that, he doesnt mesh well with Kirk. The Bulls would have to adjust what looks to be a pretty good backcourt to accomodate Gordons wish to start. Is it worth it? I dont know. But I dont think he will be a Bull beyond his 4th year in the league under the status quo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,807 Posts
Re: ben gordon wants to ditch us?

Ben RECENTLY said in the paper that he didn't care about starting and as long as his minutes increased and he's in the game when it matters, he's fine with his role.

The NBA Fastbreak folks just stirring up a bunch of nothing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,713 Posts
Re: ben gordon wants to ditch us?

The ROY said:
Ben RECENTLY said in the paper that he didn't care about starting and as long as his minutes increased and he's in the game when it matters, he's fine with his role.

The NBA Fastbreak folks just stirring up a bunch of nothing.
Thats right. But now Duhon is leading the team in minutes per game and Gordon's, I believe, have decreased from the minutes he was playing the last few months of last season. Its hard to make an argument that Ben should be out there as much or more than Duhon and Hinrich right now.

The better Duhon plays, the more obvious a problem this is going to become.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Re: ben gordon wants to ditch us?

Well, if Ben is really serious about wanting to be traded because he wants to start he should take a long hard look at Al Harrington. He wanted out of Indiana because he wanted to start. He got his wish and now he's less than thrilled to be on a team that has a losing tradition. Then again Atlanta did start off 0-9 and have now won 2 games in a row so maybe they're the 2005-2006 version of the Bulls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,975 Posts
Re: ben gordon wants to ditch us?

Ron Cey said:
Thats right. But now Duhon is leading the team in minutes per game and Gordon's, I believe, have decreased from the minutes he was playing the last few months of last season. Its hard to make an argument that Ben should be out there as much or more than Duhon and Hinrich right now.

The better Duhon plays, the more obvious a problem this is going to become.
Why is Kirk the obvious starter in the Bulls backcourt? By acclamation? You say it's hard to make an argument that Ben should be out there as much as him, so make the argument.

Gordon is playing 28 minutes per game, Kirk 34.5.

Gordon leads the team in scoring at 14.0, Kirk is second at 13.7.

Gordon's FG% is rising - it's now at 37.5%, Kirk's is falling, it's down to 39.9%

Gordon shoots 40.8% 3pt, Kirk 40.5%

Both average 2.8 RPG

Hinrich is getting 6.7 APG to Gordon's 2.3 - the only statistic that Hinrich beats Gordon at, but understandable given the roles the two play.

Gordon turns the ball over less - 1.9/game to Kirk's 2.4/game

Gordon even gets more steals - 1.1/game to Kirk's 0.6/game

Based on last season you might argue that Kirk's defense makes him a better all-round player. But the stats on 82games.com don't show it. And this season, particularly the past two games, Kirk's defense doesn't look good to me at all. In fact, he was lit up like a christmas tree in the past two games by Van Exel and Moochie Norris.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,975 Posts
Re: ben gordon wants to ditch us?

rlucas4257 said:
Ben Gordon will play for the Bulls for 4 years and then go to the Knicks as an unrestricted FA. Just a hunch. That seems to be the pattern.

Gordon is a good player, I love his scoring and shooting. But he just hasnt gotten it done as a starter. He struggles in that role. But coming off the bench he is brilliant. But having said that, he doesnt mesh well with Kirk. The Bulls would have to adjust what looks to be a pretty good backcourt to accomodate Gordons wish to start. Is it worth it? I dont know. But I dont think he will be a Bull beyond his 4th year in the league under the status quo
The pattern would be Ben leads the team in scoring, and then gets traded. We've traded away our leading scorer the past 3 times.

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Re: Anyone see that BS on NBA TONIGHT?

jbulls said:
If it is true, color me concerned. Ben has stunk it up every time we've tried to start him (and Skiles did give it a legitimate shot in the pre-season).
5 preseason games. yea, a legitimate shot.

anyways, ben probably has a right to complain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,604 Posts
huh.

chris broussard seems pretty plugged in. he may be new on the tv scene for espn, but he's been writing for the magazine and on the website for a while.

so, ben through his agents, his people, and his mom (ok kidding) says he thinks he should start and wants to go to a team where he will cause he thinks he's an all-star? way to grasp that team concept man. he's been less than stellar, and that's being really kind, as a starter so far in his short nba career. and i think skiles has a better feel for this than all the nba "experts" in the world could ever possibly have. it's one thing to have a healthy ego, but another to come off as a me-first player, which this certainly points to. so it's distressing if it is indeed true.

in the press ben has been gracious and diplomatic. but who knows what goes on behind the scenes. i one of the recent games - can't remember which one - ben expressed "surprise" when the final play was drawn up for sweetney. (the interview was posted on the comcast site). i thought one of the best moves skiles made late in the spurs game was putting ben BACK IN THE GAME at the end after his bonehead pass. and ben goes on to lead in scoring.

if ben wants to start he needs to be a better defender of two's than kirk. and a better PG than duhon. right now he is neither.

i want the media (beat writers) to pick up this story and ask him point blank about it.

ben, are you a me-first player or a team player?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
ben isn't a me-first player for wanting to start.

this is all speculation at this point.. but even if he said straight from his mouth to the papers, well.. so what? he's got a point.

and why wouldn't someone like ben be surprised for not getting the final play? has last season completely slipped from your mind? what's wrong with showing displeasure for a situation that's obviously been unjust to ben?

"me first player or team player?"

oh give me a frick'n break. i'm sick of this purist ball bs. you don't win with a team full of duhons.
last night, when kirk was sticking it up with missed shot after missed shot, ben obviously should have been in the game for longer than 24 minutes. skiles is clearly biased towards certain types of players (which isn't entirely based on hard work or winning potential).

i'm not sure why the bulls are content on running every special player out of town. first, brand; second, artest; and now, ben. sure, ben has flaws; but you don't improve on those flaws by benching a player and yanking him every time he makes a mistake. you encourage, and let these players play through their mistakes. i'd be heartbroken if ben leaves, but honestly, i'd put all blame on the bulls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,604 Posts
david123 said:
ben isn't a me-first player for wanting to start.

this is all speculation at this point.. but even if he said straight from his mouth to the papers, well.. so what? he's got a point.

and why wouldn't someone like ben be surprised for not getting the final play? has last season completely slipped from your mind? what's wrong with showing displeasure for a situation that's obviously been unjust to ben?
ok, my point is obviously an extreme magnification.

unjust to ben? you mean like ben > the rest of the team? that's where i have the disconnect. why is ben any more special than sweetney or duhon or kirk in a late game situation, where all three have stepped up for the team in the past?

last season has not slipped my mind. this team is not constructed around one guy. he is not greater than the rest of the team. heck, he's still working on being an all-court player. ben is special, yes, but he's not an all-star YET. and neither are kirk or duhon. but they are the better starting backcourt at this point for the reasons i stated above. IMO, of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
I knew this was comming from the beggining. I think he is too undersized to be a consistent starter but at the same time he is too talented to be comfortable comming off the bench all the time. Too bad but it was inevitable. I for one would not mind trading him at all, as long as we got a legitimate scoring 2 gaurd in return. Duhon is one of my favorites but I just would like to see him get min off the bench backing up Kirk at the 1. Possible players who would fit on our team?


I wanted Ray Allen before the season but Thats not gonna happen now.

I would like to see Paul Pierce here,


I think D Mason or Demarr Johnson might be good fits here too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
mizenkay said:
last season has not slipped my mind. this team is not constructed around one guy. he is not greater than the rest of the team. heck, he's still working on being an all-court player. ben is special, yes, but he's not an all-star YET. and neither are kirk or duhon. but they are the better starting backcourt at this point for the reasons i stated above. IMO, of course.
oh completely agreed.. none of those guys are all-stars at this point.
but i do think that 2 of those players are given special treatment over the third one. i don't think that there should be a glaring disparity in playing time either. like it or not, starting in the nba does matter. even if ben says that it doesn't, i'm pretty certain that he desires it in the inside. skiles operates in an ideal world where egos dont come into play.. one of the major functions of a coach (especially the coach of a young team) should be to encourage, and develop players. he's doing a fine job of that with some players, but with gordon, that seems to go out the window.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,604 Posts
david123 said:
oh completely agreed.. none of those guys are all-stars at this point.
but i do think that 2 of those players are given special treatment over the third one. i don't think that there should be a glaring disparity in playing time either. like it or not, starting in the nba does matter. even if ben says that it doesn't, i'm pretty certain that he desires it in the inside. skiles operates in an ideal world where egos dont come into play.. one of the major functions of a coach (especially the coach of a young team) should be to encourage, and develop players. he's doing a fine job of that with some players, but with gordon, that seems to go out the window.

i agree that ben most likely desires this "on the inside". what i am saying is tsk tsk, bad form to have your agents talking up a point like this so early in your second season in the nba especially when you play on a team that is (now) winning, and has won in the past, with you playing a special and such a decisive role on the team by coming off the bench.

skiles wants him to earn it. i don't have a problem with that.

damn me for being such a fan of that purist bball BS.
 
1 - 20 of 125 Posts
Top