Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 417 Posts

·
Registered
45,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One home win away from winning it all.

Thunder havent lost 4 games in a row in since 2009.

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts
Aside from it being a home game, and possibly the "momentum" argument, everything about this game says we shouldn't win. Only the second time all season they've lost 3 in a row. They've only won one game, have a lot of pride, are young and careless, and want to continue proving themselves.

We took a monster game from Westbrook and will probably now have to survive one from Durant, possibly in conjunction with a more typical Harden performance. Going to need our big 3 to all play big, plus probably an "other guy" to step.

·
We Just Wanna Chill
12,088 Posts
I unerstand the whole history behind the finals and how no team since the 2-3-2 format has ever comeback to win being down 3-1, but i really want the Heat to not get complacent because of it. finish this them off and raise the trophy in our court.

·
2012 & 2013 NBA Champions
26,553 Posts
1 more win....

Holy crap this is stressful.

Win Game 5 and it's all over. Lose, and OKC have 2 opportunities on their court to come back and take the series.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
This team is just so crazy I have no idea what to expect. They've been awesome, but there is that awful side to them that we've all seen so often. I'm still stunned at the last week's worth of events. Going from the brink of disaster to 1 home game from a title? WTF?

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts

I guess its not a game thread without a doctordrizzay guaranteed victory.

Was just wondering, did we ever find out what were in the yellow envelopes that were given to the players on the court after beating Boston?

·
Registered
45,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After we beat Boston, every player was giving an envelope. When asked what was in them Spo said to ask the players.

Here is the answer
WHO HAS THE BEST SIDELINE MOM? LeBron, Dwyane, Kevin, Russell, say any of those first names and everyone who'll watch these finals knows exactly who you're talking about. It might not be long before the same can be said about Jolinda and Wanda. Really. Jolinda Wade (Dwyane Wade's mom) and Wanda Pratt (Kevin Durant's mom) will be getting plenty of airtime in this series. The Heat guard always makes a point to hug his mother just before tipoff, and maybe the most compelling image of the Western Conference finals was Durant falling into his mother's arms when the Thunder knew they were going to the title round. (Side note: Those envelopes Heat players were handed after the East finals ended? They were cards from Jolinda Wade.)

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...nals.quick.hits.1243/index.html#ixzz1yObC1P5B

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts
What yellow envelopes? I didnt notice anything?
If you have a minute go to nba.com and watch the video of the trophy presentation. As they get their hats and shirts they also suddenly wind up with little yellow envelopes. Spo was asked after the game what was in them, telling the media he'll let the players say if they'd like.

Didn't check twitter soon enough to see if a beat writer got to the bottom of it, but the next day or so Tim Reynolds responded to a tweeter asking what happened to the part of the story he just posted that was supposed to include the explanation. Reynolds responded by saying something along the lines of "oh yeah, I'll have that out tomorrow."

I never looked back into it. When I saw it on TV I immediately assumed it was similar to what, I believe, the Thunder did when defeating the Lakers. They returned to their lockers with packets on the Spurs on their seats. So I figured it was info on the Thunder.

You'd think Spo would just have it sent to their iPads.

EDIT: W2B with the speed. Pretty far off from what I expected. I wonder why Spo wouldn't drop the info.

·
We Just Wanna Chill
12,088 Posts
You mean you guys didnt know W2B is our legendary cyborg-mutant-alien from space? this is the man that stayed up all night after game 2's win, still posting and answering questions with warp speed. I wake up the next morning for work (like us normal people) and i see his posts from 1am, 3am and then 630am that night. I suggest we all never piss him off. Hes a living, fire-breathing, walking doomsday machine.

·
Lifetime Member
24,723 Posts
For once I'm happy I have work tonight. When I get back I'll have like, 2 hours till tip off, so I won't be sat around nervous all night.

I'm scared that if we don't get this one, it doesn't matter about 3-1 history or whatever. It'd be 3-2 with 2 games in a CRAZY arena. I think we have to take it on our own floor. My wish is just that LeBron comes out and puts in a proper Finals MVP performance, and we can just celebrate for the last 4 or 5 mins of the 4th quarter. I don't think I can handle a close 4th.

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts
Yeah Ben I was thinking about that too. Was wondering if I'd rather we be up 25 with 5 minutes left with Terrell Harris and Juwan Howard getting ready to check in, which would be awesome...Or, we're down 1 with 8 seconds left and LeBron hits an 18-footer at the buzzer. Yes, there'd be several heart attacks in my chest alone, but it would be insanely epic and awesome, and would go beyond silencing the critics. Hard not to go with the first, but if I knew we'd win either way I might be willing to endure the butt tension for how awesome an ending the second would be.

Just hope this team has one more epic win in them this postseason, after a few seemingly draining ones prior to tonight. Gonna need one either way to close this thing out. I keep thinking about that anecdote we've all heard (was it from Rick Reilly? I know Simmons had one someone has in their sig, but I feel like there's a different one I'm thinking of) about Riley in '06 not even using a clipboard in the second half of G6, simply shouting individual words to focus and energize the team. Spo may not have the panache to pull this off as effectively, but we know how much he loves the buzz words.

Over/under for "sacrifice"'s uttered in tonight's huddle?

EDIT: I guess it was the Simmons quote, can't find anything from Reilly (I guess I just remembered it as a writer I disliked.)

I once heard a great story about Game 6 of the 2006 Finals, when Miami was trying to clinch the title in Dallas, from someone who has seen the unedited footage of Miami's huddles in the second-half timeouts. Pat Riley basically stopped coaching. Threw out his X's and O's. Quit giving advice. Stopped drawing up plays.

So what did he do? He screamed at his guys like a boxing trainer. You're tougher than them! YOU'RE TOUGHER THAN THEM! Don't let up! They are ready to quit! They are ready to fold! Keep attacking them! Keep getting to the rim! Keep knocking their asses down! No layups! No dunks! Stay together! YOU ARE TOUGHER THAN THEM! YOU ARE TOUGHER THAN THEM! That's what he did for the entire second half. Eventually, his players believed him.
And they weren't buzz words, Riles went with full sentences. Reading the whole article now is really interesting, as it was shortly before 2010 free agency. Here's a little on LeBron's choices. (No wonder Simmons had a post-Decision melt-down. He saw him going to the Heat as good for winning, but Dwyane as almost "too good.")

3. If he cares about winning titles (multiple) and reaching his full potential as a player, he has only one move: the Chicago Bulls. That's always been the play. If you've been listening to my podcast or reading this column, you know that I've been touting this possibility since the winter, and here's why: Deep down, I think LeBron (and, just as important, the people around him) realizes that he needs one more kick-ass player to make his life easier. That means Miami or Chicago. And really, I can't imagine him signing with Miami because Dwyane Wade is almost too good. LeBron wants help, but he doesn't want to be perceived as riding someone else's coattails, either. Wade might be the best player alive for all we know -- he certainly was in 2006, and he's been banged-up and trapped on bad teams ever since.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
That would be me Jace..peep the sig.

1 - 20 of 417 Posts