Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a rumor that David Stern is planning to expand NBA play to Europe over the next decade. What do you think about this? I think it's a bad idea for the following reasons:

-I think European teams will be the worst in the league. I don't think any American-born player(eh..about 95%) will want to play over there.

-Travel difficulties. The constant travel between the continents will wear out the players and make them tired; European teams will be more fatigued from travel because there are more North American teams.

Good Reasons:

-Increased exposure to European prospects
-More Europeans will play as a result of watching NBA players.

What do you think?

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
They could make it a West (U.S+CAN) vs. the East (EU) so they only have to travel (About) once per season (for the finals).

The bad part about this is that there would be many fights about this, as when one countries players lose againsta the other.

Us europeans take sports sometimes too seriously. Look at the world cup in 98, there have been many riots. Once when my favorite soccer team beat the other one, there were rumors that there is a bomb in their airplane in which there were supposed to go home. (they took the bus instead, (good choice));)

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
I don't think that it will work. And plus there are already leagues (many) in Europe but are not that recognized in the U.S. because of the NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, MLS (do I need to continue), now if like the "World wide leader in Sports" (espn) would broadcast some of those games, then the players would get exposed here in the U.S. (and parts of Canada)

·
Registered
51 Posts
The NBA in Europe might work if it is done correctly. Play exhibition games in Europe first too see if a European city can handle an NBA team. Also listen to the reaction of the players about playing in Europe. Create an NBA sponsored European League to gauge interest in potential cities.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
the_truth...

I don't know if it's fair to say that there are UNRECOGNIZED leagues in Europe because of our leagues. I personally follow Euroleague, subscribe to newsletters about European ball, telebasket.com is the bookmark I visit the most... It's just that people here don't care much about your ball because it's so far away, and it's not as good as ours, just like a lot of Euros don't care about ours because they think theirs is better and ours is so far away. If we choose to educate ourselves about basketball in another continent, we will...

The problem with having teams in Europe would be that, as you said, they already have many leagues in Europe. What would become of those? And, there is no way to have a conference in Europe. I'm sure David Stern isn't interested in expanding the NBA much, because the league is already fairly watered-down in terms of talent. And at this point, there really are no teams that are going to be willing to move to Europe. It would just get too complicated to be possible. No more than two or three teams would be possible in Europe for up to twenty years or so. And with the travel problems, American players not wanting to play in Europe, and whatnot, it's just not going to be possible for a long time.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Too much travelling, problems with national broadcasting for US. What? DO you think they will ask Marv Albert, Bill Walton to fly to Europe just to broadcast a game?

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
No

There'd be too many problems traveling. After all, it's a long way to Europe. Maybe, if he wants to start some minor league there it would be ok. But you can't have teams traveling that far.:no:

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
yeah, i agree with everyone else. the main problem will be the travelling. and let's not forget about jet-lag and change of time zones. when there's a 5-6 hour difference between european countries and america/canada, it'll have a major effect on players.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Re: the_truth...

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke
I don't know if it's fair to say that there are UNRECOGNIZED leagues in Europe because of our leagues. I personally follow Euroleague, subscribe to newsletters about European ball, telebasket.com is the bookmark I visit the most... It's just that people here don't care much about your ball because it's so far away, and it's not as good as ours, just like a lot of Euros don't care about ours because they think theirs is better and ours is so far away. If we choose to educate ourselves about basketball in another continent, we will...

The problem with having teams in Europe would be that, as you said, they already have many leagues in Europe. What would become of those? And, there is no way to have a conference in Europe. I'm sure David Stern isn't interested in expanding the NBA much, because the league is already fairly watered-down in terms of talent. And at this point, there really are no teams that are going to be willing to move to Europe. It would just get too complicated to be possible. No more than two or three teams would be possible in Europe for up to twenty years or so. And with the travel problems, American players not wanting to play in Europe, and whatnot, it's just not going to be possible for a long time.
Well see I am from Europe and I don't care about the Leauges that much, in fact I don't know how many there are, but I know that they have many of them. I like the NBA better.

They should make one league that is supposed to be world wide accepted, and if they would be more organized scouts could be going over there and report those players for the NBA.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Also

wouldn't it just be easier to expand the NBA in the U.S and Canada even more? L. Bird wanted to get a team but has been rejected. But also what about those crowds in Europe? Will they be watching that many Basketball games? They love soccer (as do I) and there is no way that European Baskeballers would be able to play a game every day or two. They play once a week.

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
well, i've been to europe before because i have family there, and i know that my cousins love basketball. i think that the popularity of basketball is growing there. but, like i said, the main problem would be travel and time change.

·
Beer Drinker!!!
8,247 Posts
Why would the 2 leagues have to compete,why cant their just be an NBA and an NBA Europe?Then all they would have to do is get some of the ESPN's,and maybe another network like TNN to air the games?

:confused:

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
oh yeah, true...and they have to find a way to make it appeal to people. like, look at the wnba. for some reason, i can't watch wnba games.

·
Registered
443 Posts
To much Jetlag. A.I. cant stay calm for those long plane rides. He'll go crazy.:laugh: If it was in Europe A.I. probly wouldn't even go to practice. Also there would be ALOT of ppl to draft. Welcom to the the first 15 round U.S. and EU draft. Would the NBA have to change the rules for most of the Europein players?:confused:

·
Beer Drinker!!!
8,247 Posts
The WNBA is a JOKE,its totally RETARDED,LOL!Me and my friends try to watch them sometimes,but all we end up doing is laughing our ASSES OFF!

I like Sue Bird though,shes kinda HOT!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Most of the girls look ugly on court. :laugh: Then when they do a photo shoot they KINDA hott. I heard that only Lebians go to WNBA games. :D :laugh: :yes: :) :grinning:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts