Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Baker's Long Road

On Sundays during the offseason, when Vin Baker isn't playing basketball, he can be found at a church in his hometown of Old Saybrook, Conn.

Baker is a deacon and helps his father, the pastor at Full Gospel Tabernacle. He leads devotion and testimony services at the church, and he sings in the choir.

"I joke around that I'm kind of like my dad's hype man," Baker said. "I get him going. I'm there every Sunday, and it's fun. I wouldn't rather be in any other place."

Baker calls his story one of deliverance. And sobriety is the focus, not playing basketball for the Timberwolves.

complete article

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wade adds bulk to frame

Dwyane Wade is listed as a 212-pound guard, even though he hasn't been that since his rookie season.

His physical development has been so obvious that assistant coach Erik Spoelstra commented about it after watching an ESPN Classic replay of a Heat-Cavaliers game from 2004.

'He was like, `You were so small,' '' Wade said Sunday. ``It was so long ago, it seems like. And I thought I was big then.''

No, Wade is big now. Bigger than he ever has been, actually.

complete article

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Arenas's Summer: Bizarre and Absurd

The coal-black Ferrari pulled into Southeast Washington just short of 8:30 p.m. It was a humid, late-August night, and Gilbert Arenas was determined to leave his chaotic offseason behind for one memorable evening at the outdoor basketball courts known as Barry Farms.

"Maybe I can get off the bench here," he said, his voice thick with sarcasm.

complete article

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Red was just full of color

What most people don't realize is that Red Auerbach married the prettiest girl in town. Even in her 70s, Dorothy (Lewis) Auerbach was an elegant presence in the finest Sophia Loren sense, and one can only imagine what a head-turning traffic-stopper she must have been when young Arnie Auerbach slipped that ring on her finger oh so many years ago.

complete article

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Nelson seeks deferred millions from Mavs

Former Mavericks coach Don Nelson has taken an NBA owner to court before, and it might happen again with Mark Cuban.

Nelson apparently is willing to pursue whatever measures are needed to recoup as much as $6 million in deferred payments earned before Ross Perot Jr. sold the franchise to Cuban in 2000.

Nelson, now coach of the Golden State Warriors, was reached over the weekend and said he may have to pursue legal avenues to get the money that he says he is owed.

complete article

21 - 26 of 26 Posts