Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Magic fan's sad comments are indefensible

On Monday, I spoke with the man now being hailed as the biggest racist in Orlando, and he just doesn't get it.

First, let me correct something. Hooman Hamzehloui is not a racist. He's just uninformed. I believe Hamzehloui when he says he had no idea he was using a racial slur when he called Houston Rockets center Dikembe Mutombo a "monkey" at Thursday's Orlando Magic game.

It was at worst an inexcusable lapse in judgment, but he didn't do it because he doesn't like African Americans. By his own account, he has friends of all ethnicities. According to Magic officials, Hamzehloui interacted quite nicely with the Magic's black players at a season ticket-holder party the night before the incident with Mutombo.

complete article

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Rockets Notes

The fan that directed a racial slur at Rockets center Dikembe Mutombo last week in Orlando, Fla., has been banned from attending NBA games this season, and his Magic
season tickets were rescinded, the NBA announced on Monday.

complete article

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Larry, Knicks bury hatchet

Larry Brown's short and strange odyssey as coach of the New York Knicks officially ended late last night when Brown and the organization agreed to a settlement over the $40 million left on his contract.

Terms of the settlement were not disclosed and officials from both sides refused to comment on the resolution. The announcement came on the eve of the NBA opener and less than 48 hours before the Knicks are to start their season in Memphis with Isiah Thomas as their new coach. It was also made public days before commissioner David Stern, the arbiter in the dispute, was expected to rule.

"At my request, the New York Knicks and Larry Brown have agreed to a compromise resolution of the dispute between them," Stern said is a statement released by the league office. "Neither the club nor Larry have any future obligation to each other and have assured me, in response to my direction and request, that there will be no further public discussion of the matter. In addition, I have assured the parties that this resolution will have no precedential value in any future disputes before me."

complete article

41 - 43 of 43 Posts