Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things are getting sphincter tight if you know what I mean.

Eastern Conference

5. Milwaukee 39-40 --
6. Washington 39-40 --
7. Indiana 39-40 --
8. Chicago 38-41 1 GB (from 5th)
------------------
9. Philadelphia 37-42 1 GB
10. Orlando 35-44 3 GB

Remaining Schedules:

MIL: Atlanta, @ Detroit, @ Washington
WAS: Cleveland, Milwaukee, @ Detroit
IND: @ Charlotte, @ Toronto, Orlando
CHI: @ Miami, @ Orlando, Toronto
PHI: @ Orlando, New Jersey, @ Charlotte
ORL: Philadelphia, Chicago, @ Indiana

Notes:
***Orlando has to hope Chicago loses all of their games and they win out to make the playoffs. However, the Magic can also mess with the seedings by beating Indiana and Chicago. Even if they don't make the playoffs, the Magic can hurt other teams chances of advancing.

***If the Pistons decide to rest their players has a profound impact on seeding the rest of the way.

***The Charlotte Bobcats can't really mess up their draft position and have been playing well offensively down the stretch. It wouldn't shock me if they beat the Pacers and the Sixers at home. They're dangerous.

Western Conference:
7. Los Angeles 42-37 ---
8. Sacramento 41-38 1 GB
--------------------------
9. Utah 40-39 1 GB
10. Oklahoma City 38-41 3 GB

Remaining Schedules:

LAL: Portland (in progress), Phoenix, Oklahoma City
SAC: @ Denver, Oklahoma City, Seattle
UTA: @ Dallas, @ San Antonio, Golden State
OKC: @ Sacramento, @ Phoenix, @ Los Angeles (Lakers)

Notes:

***Lakers magic number to clinch a playoff spot falls to 1 with a victory over the Trailblazers tonight. They would simply need to win one out of two to make the playoffs.
***Sacramento was not given any favors. Yes, they have two home games to end the season, but Seattle and Oklahoma City are not going to be easy teams to beat. Denver on the road should be difficult as well.
***Utah has a Texas Two Step that will probably knock them out, but they also have a talented Golden State team that beat Dallas just the other night.
***Oklahoma City is pretty much cooked, especially with their schedule, however if they ran the table and Utah lost two out of 3 and Sacramento lost all 3, they would get in on a tie-breaker.

When all is said and done, knowing what we know now, I expect:

Eastern Conference
5. Indiana 42-40
6. Washington 41-41
7. Milwaukee 40-42
8. Chicago 39-43
-------------
9. Philadelphia 38-44
10. Orlando 37-45

Western Conference

7. Los Angeles (Lakers) 45-37
8. Sacramento 43-39
-----------------
9. Utah 41-41
10. Oklahoma City 38-44

·
Registered
30,191 Posts
I'd like to add that the Bulls have a magic number of 2 against the Sixers for the 8th spot. 2 bulls win, 1 win/sixers loss, 2 sixers losses and the Bulls are in.

And Magic are mathematically eliminated, if Bulls lose out, and Magic win out, they end up both at 38 wins, a 2-2 series record, but Bulls have the higher conference record no matter what, so its over for the Magic, the field is narrowed to 9.

·
Registered
30,191 Posts
NugzFan said:
wonder if that HORRIBLE call on jefferies to end the wash-chi game will mess up the playoff picture in the end?
Come on, its either an offensive foul or a no call. Even if for some idiotic reason they called a defensive foul, Jefferies is a pretty ****ty free throw shooter, and probaly would havem issed one. Wizards didn't even chase Deng into the backcourt to try to get a steal/quick shot, I think Gilbert Arenas' ****ty shooting cost this game. Not to mention the referees called a lot of how do you say, non existant fouls on Tyson Chandler tonight. Wizards blew it big time tonight.

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
In the three way tiebraker, yahoo has it as Milwaukee 5th, Indy 6th, and Washington 7th.

im really not sure who is correct, but Im just pointing out that it is different depending on where you look (and one has to be wrong)

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,231 Posts
I think the east is pretty well set. The seeding is going to be interesting though. I can see Washington falling down to 8. I'm hoping the Bucks pull up to 5, but it looks like Pacers-Cavs for the first round.

Pacers
Bucks
Bulls
Wizards

That'd give

Detroit
Washington

Miami
Chicago

New Jersey
Milwaukee

Cleveland
Indiana

Detroit wins 4-1 against an injured Wizards team.
Miami sweeps Chicago 4-0 because there's no interior to the Bulls, the heat will basically live in the paint.
New Jersey 4-1 over the Bucks, because the Bucks don't play defense and don't take advantage of their inside advantage over New Jersey--and experience plays into it. For some reason I feel like the Nets are the worst matchup for the Bucks.

Cavs beat Pacers 4-2
The only series that is really competitive. Just because of the inexperience of the Cavs. Of course if Lebron comes out like he has the last month but up another notch, they could sweep the pacers with ease.

Out west, Utah is done, NOK is done. Sac and LA finish with same record. I don't know who has the tie breaker.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You really think Sacramento and the Lakers finish with the same record?

If the Lakers win tonight, they'll have two games left against Phoenix and Oklahoma City at home.

Sacramento still has to go to Denver, play the Hornets at home and the Sonics at home, plus they are a game back of Los Angeles. Last 10 games, the Sonics are avg. 104.1 ppg.

However if they do finish tied, Sac wins the tiebreaker because of better conference and division record.

·
Registered
30,191 Posts
Milwaukee-Indiana-Washington is the correct order.

As it goes by overall best win percentage of combined series against each other.

So right now.

Wizards 2-4
Pacers 4-4
Milwaukee 4-2

I honestly think that we'll end up with a 4 way tie in the East, and this is how it is right now.

Chicago 6-5
Indiana 6-6
-----------
Milwaukee 6-4
Washington 3-5

Now Wizards and Bucks have a game left against each other.

If Bucks win:

5. Bucks
6. Bulls
7. Pacers
8. Wizards

------------------

If Bucks lose, both the Bulls and Bucks will be 6-5 in the series between the teams. But the Bucks have a better division record, so things are the same under this scenario too.

So the playoffs in the East will probaly look like:

5. Milwaukee
6. Chicago
7. Indiana
8. Washington

Now under the scenario Washington loses, than all 3 teams tie, than here is what it looks like.

So if Milwaukee loses to Detroit, than it will look like

5. Indiana
6. Milwaukee
7. Chicago
8. Washington

if Milwaukee beats Detroit, than it goes to the conference record tiebreaker making the playoffs shape up like this:

5. Milwaukee
6. Indiana
7. Chicago
8. Washington

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sloth is the most optimistic of fans in the world. I don't see how the Bulls are going to go to Orlando and Miami and win that back to back and then beat Toronto to end the season.

·
Registered
30,191 Posts
Philly has some tiebreaker odds I think.

In these scenarios, Philly doesn't get the tiebreaker over Washington.

Philly/Washington

Bucks/Wizards/Indiana/Philly

Indiana/Philly/Washington

Bucks/Philly/Washington (if Bucks lose to Washington)

But any other Washington/Philly tie scenario, including a Bucks/Philly/Washington (with Bucks beating Washington) than the Sixers get the tiebreaker over Washington.

·
Registered
30,191 Posts
HKF said:
sloth is the most optimistic of fans in the world. I don't see how the Bulls are going to go to Orlando and Miami and win that back to back and then beat Toronto to end the season.

I am near certain Bulls will beat Orlando and Toronto, especially Orlando, they play good on the 2nd end of back to backs, and they should be hungry to get back at Orlando, and Toronto isn't too tough.

Now, Miami, with the #2 in the East locked up, they should do the smart thing, and rest Shaq to abvoid him re-annoying an injury, and D-Wade from getting hury during his acrobatic show, yup, Heat just should bench everyone :biggrin: Heat will probaly be resting at the very least, so Bulls should have a good chance to win.

·
kiss my grits
18,595 Posts
sloth said:
I am near certain Bulls will beat Orlando and Toronto, especially Orlando, they play good on the 2nd end of back to backs, and they should be hungry to get back at Orlando, and Toronto isn't too tough.

Now, Miami, with the #2 in the East locked up, they should do the smart thing, and rest Shaq to abvoid him re-annoying an injury, and D-Wade from getting hury during his acrobatic show, yup, Heat just should bench everyone :biggrin: Heat will probaly be resting at the very least, so Bulls should have a good chance to win.

You're near certain they'll beat Orlando? What makes you so certain? I'm fairly certain Orlando will beat Chicago. You do realize that Orlando hasn't lost at home since the end of February?

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
sloth said:
Come on, its either an offensive foul or a no call. Even if for some idiotic reason they called a defensive foul, Jefferies is a pretty ****ty free throw shooter, and probaly would havem issed one. Wizards didn't even chase Deng into the backcourt to try to get a steal/quick shot, I think Gilbert Arenas' ****ty shooting cost this game. Not to mention the referees called a lot of how do you say, non existant fouls on Tyson Chandler tonight. Wizards blew it big time tonight.
dude, it was the WRONG CALL. period. make all the excuses and assumptions you want but they blew it. 100% wrong call at a critical time of a close game that had playoff implications.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
NugzFan said:
dude, it was the WRONG CALL. period. make all the excuses and assumptions you want but they blew it. 100% wrong call at a critical time of a close game that had playoff implications.
Agreed. Niocini was still skipping towards the basket in that supposed offensive foul. No way his feet were even near set. Horrible call, and I don't think any non-Bulls fan can argue otherwise.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.