Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Referees in the NBA are a joke! In fact, NBA policy is a joke! Let me explain....

Every home team in the league gets the benefit of the doubt on every close call, and they get a lot of non-calls. Every game is like that. Unless the visiting team has an overwhelming reputation or a true star, they can count on being shafted by the refs. That's why the Bulls have a winning record at home but only 2 victories all year on the road!

The NBA wants to make sure that the people who buy tickets, pay for parking, buy food, drink & souveneirs at the arena get treated to the home team getting a victory. If they can't get the victory, the refs try to keep it close or they facilitate a comeback by the home team with some well placed calls (or no-calls). Drive the lane at home and get touched in any way and you get a whistle. Drive the lane on the road and you can be hammered by 2 or 3 players, knocked to the floor, and all you will hear is the crowd cheering a breakaway dunk on the other end of the floor!

This policy sucks and needs to come to an end! If a team is truly good they don't need help from the referees. Whatever happened to let them play and may the best team win!

IMO, this is behind the losses by the U.S. Basketball Team this past summer. NBA players that are accustomed to getting certain calls from NBA refs are exposed when international refs call the game the way it is supposed to be called. Put NBA refs in the Olympics and every game would be a blowout for the U.S. because every player on the opposing teams would foul out by halftime!

This Rant Was Brought To You By:

:upset:

·
Registered
156 Posts
NBA refs are the best in any other sports. Stop complaining. The Bulls don't get calls because they're horrible, terrible, painful to watch. I'm sick of refs taking heat. They do their job and most of the time do a good job of it. Cry me a river, you got shafted, the Bulls fans should be used to it. Refs have the toughest job in sports, when they do a good job, no props, when they make a mistake they're ransacked. Lord, lay off the refs for one second.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KG21</b>!
NBA refs are the best in any other sports. Stop complaining. The Bulls don't get calls because they're horrible, terrible, painful to watch. I'm sick of refs taking heat. They do their job and most of the time do a good job of it. Cry me a river, you got shafted, the Bulls fans should be used to it. Refs have the toughest job in sports, when they do a good job, no props, when they make a mistake they're ransacked. Lord, lay off the refs for one second.
Your kidding right? These Refs are horrible. I have never seen worse refs in any sport (and I watch almost every sport).

If the refs do a good job they don't need props they get paid.

When they don't do their jobs they get fired for not doing them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The referring is decent because if you think about the game of basketball....you could call and not call a TON of things. If you saw the Rockets/Lakers double overtime match....that call they gave to Madsen on Yao (which fouled Yao out of the game and Houston went down the sink from that point on) was bogus! And you see these kind of calls constantly. Everyone who saw it knows that Madsen "flopped" when Yao raised his arms to catch a ball.....that call cost the Rockets the game. Officiating should not interfere in the last few seconds of a very very close game unless the call is an undeniable/most-obvious foul. They should also look into calling fouls against "floppers" (200 plus pound men who fall flat on the ground when touched). C'mon, dont ruin the game! (you could argue that it is a technique or strategy of the game.... Reggie Miller is one who is good at faking stuff to draw fouls but that really degrades the quality of the game....who wants to see games decided by free throws?)

·
Registered
149 Posts
When Shaq dips his shoulder and slams into you and they don't call that an offensive foul, it could be a mistake.

When Shaq does it again and they not only don't call it on him, but even dare to call a foul on the defender it's a bit suspicious.

When you get hit in the head by Shaq's elbow and they again call the foul on you 2 minutes later, hmmmm...............

When another 3 minutes later they call a foul on you for a light push off with your pinky and don't call another elbow to your throat by Shaq, you gotta be a little suspicious.

Another 5 minutes pass by and Shaq lifts you up on his back , travels in the process, showes you out of the way and dunks and they give you your 5th foul even though you were just standing there you get a little more suspicious.

When these "mistakes" happen every game and only when Shaq is involved they obviously aren't mistakes.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
NBA refs are the best in any other sports.
You are kidding aren't you? The refs in the NBA are horrible. Just watch a game and look at the number of palming & traveling infractions that are not called. Players switch pivots all the time and its never called. I'm not even talking about judgement calls on charges etc.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I don't think we realize just how tough it would be to be a ref in the NBA. Yes, they make some big mistakes, and I get pretty ticked off at them sometimes as well. But I think we need to recognize that the nature of the game of basketball makes it probably the toughest game to judge. You have ten guys within a relatively small playing area (compared to soccer) where contact is not allowed. Or at least excessive contact. At the same time you have all of the regular rules of the game like travelling, double dribbles, kick balls, etc. And then you have some points worth more than others and so you have to be aware of players' feet when they are taking shots.
In addition you have to watch where players are on the court, and how long they are there. 3 second rules on offence, and now defensive time rules, as well as a small circle under the basket for charging. And it all happens so quickly. I can't think of another sport where the refs are required to pay attention to so much in such a short time. And where teams switch from offence to defence so quickly. The only comparable sport where speed is concerned is hockey, which is faster, but contact is permitted.
It seems to me that it is difficult to compare the refs of one sport to another and claim that some are horrible where others are good. Horrible is a relative term, but really normative statements should only be made when conditions are the same. Clearly these sports are all very different. And it seems to me that that is a much more reasonable explanation for the differences in officiating.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
first of all any credit to nfl refs has to be because of instant replay otherwise they miss a lot.i think the problem i have with nba refs is not that they dont know what a foul is or what the rules are but that they have preconceived notions coming into games,they always seem to give the home team the advantage and they have a differant set of rules for the stars.someone brought up the lakers rockets game the other night,i thought they blew 3 calls right in a row towards the end of the game.they first they call ming for a block on kobe which was wrong,then they call a charge on kobe which was wrong then the stupid call on madsen,total ineptness.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I hate the NBA referees

If you are an All-Star or a good team, you will get calls

If you are a bad team or a rookie, you get screwed.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Originally posted by <b>cornflakes</b>!
The referring is decent because if you think about the game of basketball....you could call and not call a TON of things. If you saw the Rockets/Lakers double overtime match....that call they gave to Madsen on Yao (which fouled Yao out of the game and Houston went down the sink from that point on) was bogus! And you see these kind of calls constantly. Everyone who saw it knows that Madsen "flopped" when Yao raised his arms to catch a ball.....that call cost the Rockets the game. Officiating should not interfere in the last few seconds of a very very close game unless the call is an undeniable/most-obvious foul.
I also remember the Lakers/Rockets second game of the year when Shaq was called for a flagrant foul against Steve Francis, even though it was clear he was going for the ball. That call effectively ended the game in the Rockets favor.

As stated in a previous post, refereeing (sp?) is extremely biased, and has been for some time. Magic travelled incessantly, and MJ should've been tossed out of numerous games for his consistent berating of the refs. So why does this happen? The league wants it that way. The NBA wants Shaq in the game, not Mark Madsen.

·
Registered
450 Posts

Here's something to ponder:

If NBA referee's are the "best in any sport", then why is it that people have a problem with them? There are many sports where they rarely EVER have problems with reffing. The best example that comes to mind: College Basketball.

Now, even college basketball, has its moments (6 men on the court for 2 mins, etc.) but when it comes to important games (March Madness and such), I can hardly EVER recall a game where i was left shaking my head. Like it or not, but the NBA is corrupt and uses officiating as a lobbying procedure. Teams like the Lakers do a whole lot better because of the referees, and its unfortunate that this is so.

But how about some feedback? Do you (collectively) feel that the NBA referees are better than the College Refs? How many people have seen teams consistantly get ALL the calls, a la the Los Angeles Lakers? I cant really think of any....

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Originally posted by <b>hogey11</b>!

Here's something to ponder:

If NBA referee's are the "best in any sport", then why is it that people have a problem with them? There are many sports where they rarely EVER have problems with reffing. The best example that comes to mind: College Basketball.

Now, even college basketball, has its moments (6 men on the court for 2 mins, etc.) but when it comes to important games (March Madness and such), I can hardly EVER recall a game where i was left shaking my head. Like it or not, but the NBA is corrupt and uses officiating as a lobbying procedure. Teams like the Lakers do a whole lot better because of the referees, and its unfortunate that this is so.

But how about some feedback? Do you (collectively) feel that the NBA referees are better than the College Refs? How many people have seen teams consistantly get ALL the calls, a la the Los Angeles Lakers? I cant really think of any....
good point. however, nba refs do have the toughest job as far as sports reffing is concerned.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SkywalkerAC</b>!

good point. however, nba refs do have the toughest job as far as sports reffing is concerned.
Agreed. NBA refs have to deal with Egos on top of the game itself. Managing glares and reminders from superstars is a lot of work for anybody. That being said, they could still do a better job by ignoring the star quality and just call the game the way it should be called, regardless of who is on the floor.

PS sensative issue right now. My senior boys basketball team (i'm the assistant coach) had their season end pre-maturely when the referees absolutely threw the game for us. They fouled out 3 of our starters on suspect blocking(moving feet) fouls, our starting center on loose-ball jumpball situations, and to top it all off, called a technical on us when they "forgot" to tell us that we were all out of Time outs. I'm still steaming mad. :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset:

Ah well, its all good though.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Originally posted by <b>hogey11</b>!

Agreed. NBA refs have to deal with Egos on top of the game itself. Managing glares and reminders from superstars is a lot of work for anybody. That being said, they could still do a better job by ignoring the star quality and just call the game the way it should be called, regardless of who is on the floor.

PS sensative issue right now. My senior boys basketball team (i'm the assistant coach) had their season end pre-maturely when the referees absolutely threw the game for us. They fouled out 3 of our starters on suspect blocking fouls, our starting center on loose-ball jumpball situations, and to top it all off, called a technical on us when they "forgot" to tell us that we were all out. I'm still steaming mad. :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset:
sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
In my view, officiating in the 80's was much better than today's. It was a lot more consistent and, I think, less biased. I admit, nonetheless, that officiating the game is very difficult, but there are certain things that I just cannot understand, such as palming the ball, moving the pivot foot, travelling at the start of a move, etc. They barely get called.

On the other hand, as it was pointed out in this thread, Shaq got a bad call against the Rockets (flagrant foul on Francis). It is true. That was no flagrant foul. At the same time, Shaq gets away with so much (nobody mentioned the 3 second violation, which usually is not applicable for the big guy)...

With regards to what the refs can do to a game or a series of games, in my personal view, the Kings (leaving the unacceptable flopping aside) got robbed in the conference finals series againts the Lakers last season. There were two or three games (my memory is not so good these days) where the refs just killed the Kings. Was that on purpose? Was that deliberate? I don't know. Do you?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
It Ain't That Tough

I'm sick and tired of all this crap about how the officials have such a difficult job, etc. That is the NBA company line and it is alot of baloney. The better NCAA hoops officials do a MUCH better job than the NBA officials. That is because the NCAA officials are accountable to the coaches and to the conference and if they screw up, they don't get more work. In the NBA, the officiating is ruled by fiat by Ed Rush and his cronies. It is an "old boy" patronage system with no public accountability. Stern makes sure that criticism of the refs is stifled by imposing huge fines on anyone who dares to speak up.

It is really a shameful situation and the NBA needs to do something about it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts