Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from http://www.insidehoops.com

Dallas Mavericks center DJ Mbenga has been suspended one game without pay for committing a Flagrant Foul Penalty Two by striking Cleveland’s LeBron James in the head, it was announced today by Stu Jackson, NBA Senior Vice President Basketball Operations.

The incident, in which a Flagrant Foul Penalty One was called and, subsequently, upgraded by the League Office to a Flagrant Foul Penalty Two, occurred with 7:35 remaining in the fourth quarter of the Mavericks 107-94 loss to the Cavaliers on Wednesday night at Quicken Loans Arena. Mbenga will serve his suspension tonight against the Orlando Magic.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Honestly, it was possibly a flagrant, but certainly didn't warrant a suspension.

I don't have a problem with the flagrant being called, although it wasn't clear cut. If I were the referee, I probably would've called it. But the suspension? Please.

Like I said before, it's getting harder and harder to watch this league due to all the behind the scenes politics. It gets old.

·
Jeepers
6,385 Posts
Chalie Boy said:
Wow I didn't see it....I stopped watching :sour: , but was it really that bad or did he get suspended cuz he did it to Lebron? :rolleyes:
No, it actually was an attempt to block LB's shot, IMO. Mbenga went straight up, as he usually does, and swatted - James, however, double clutched and leaned in just as Mbenga's arm was coming down. As you know, Mbenga tries to block shots into the front row, so he did swing pretty hard.

I apologize if my opinion differs from others', but that really is the way I saw it (and yes, I am a bit of a homer).

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
SMDre said:
I think it was because it was LeBron, I saw it and it didn't seem like a flagerant 2. Damps flagerant aginst LeBron seemed a lot worse.
I agree that the one by Dampier was worse, but frankly that probably deserved a suspension as well. But, the rule is that a shot to the head will get you a flagrant 2 and MBenga foul was a shot to LeBrons head.

·
Jeepers
6,385 Posts
Mavericks are arguing that Kurt Thomas' hit on Marquis was worse.

<quote>
On Dec. 14, Daniels drove the lane and received a hard foul from Thomas, who was assessed a flagrant foul-1. Daniels missed 15 of the next 16 games with a strained neck. Now, 49 games later, Daniels had to sit out against Orlando because the injury was aggravated by a hit he received in Cleveland.<quote-bray1967>

·
We Just Wanna Chill
12,067 Posts
this guy (stu jackson) has been upgrading pretty much all flagarants into type 2 flagarants. Hes done it a few times already to the Heat. :curse: easy way to make some extra cash on the side, thats all

Money-grubbing.....******!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The OUTLAW said:
I agree that the one by Dampier was worse, but frankly that probably deserved a suspension as well. But, the rule is that a shot to the head will get you a flagrant 2 and MBenga foul was a shot to LeBrons head.
That is true, didn't think about that.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Damp deserved suspended? lol, good grief. Is this a man's league or not?

Anyway, DJ gets suspended for going for a block on a play where LeBron didn't get hurt. Kurt Thomas attempts to decapitate Marquis making him miss a dozen games with a neck injury and gets nothing.

And anyway, the Mavs are soft. How could any of our guys have committed a flagrant foul?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.