Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know all about supply and demand when it comes to ticket prices, so I totally understand why ticket prices are high or low depending on the team one cares to watch.

However, I do pose Question A and Question B:

A) Do you think the superstars who will be playing are factored in to the ticket prices? For instance, it costs far more money to watch a HEAT vs THUNDER game than it would for a CAVS vs WIZARDS game. If you answer "yes" to Question A, please go on to answer question B.

B) If the superstars playing are priced into the ticket prices, do you think NBA fans who pay extremely high prices for tickets should be given a partial refund if superstars are sitting out? After all, superstars were priced into the high ticket price right? Oh, and even Stern admitted that it wasn't fair to fans for Greg Popavich to sit out star players when Spurs faced the Heat. Perfect example of fans who paid the high ticket prices for the benefit of seeing all the superstars play, but did not get the "full" service they paid.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I'm against paying higher prices for certain marquee teams anyway. Most arenas don't do that.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Yeah I mean it's unfair but the NBA is a business and you can't expect them to give refunds - it's just a risk associated with sports

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I mean it's unfair but the NBA is a business and you can't expect them to give refunds - it's just a risk associated with sports
You're right about the risk, but the fans (consumers) collectively have more power than the league. I paid over $300 for Miami Heat tickets with below average seats, and if any of the BIG 3 did not show up, the NBA would have given me a partial refund because I would have confronted the right personnel.

To be honest, I would have no problem if all tickets were a flat rate regardless of superstars or not. However since the NBA prices tickets based on superstars and supply/demand then they should guarantee that "superstar" service. : ) If enough fans threatened to boycott the league over it then they would definitely cater to fans. Spurs fans should have demanded a refund. Stern would have paid them or given them credit to watch another game. :) We fans have lots of power!

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
I'm against paying higher prices for certain marquee teams anyway. Most arenas don't do that.
Really? From what I've seen, ticket prices are higher for a Rockets game when a marquee team such as Miami or Los Angeles is in town. It makes sense b/c if your team is bad (not that the Rockets are), you advertise the visiting team.

If I shelled out a large amount of money to see a game, I'd hope that all non-injured players were there. But I just tend to get the upper level seats which are under thirty dollars (sometimes under 10 if you catch a low-hype or underrated team), so it doesn't rile me up that much.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I don't see any reason for them to refund the money. As a basketball fan you should realize injuries are part of the risk. I would have to think that if that's the case then people would end up putting a serious dent into a teams revenue. I mean how about when Derrick Rose blew out his knee? Bulls would of probably lost a fortune due to refunds for a year long injury. And jesus what about the Blazers? All of their young stars getting injured over the years, would they have ever made money?

And this would probably open the door to refunds if a star player plays poorly. I mean I pay to see Lebron and to see Lebron dominate teams. If he shoots 2-15 or fouls out in 25 foul plagued minutes should I have to pay full price for that?

Really? I've never heard of an arena/team that DOESN'T do that. Currently I can get upper deck tickets to a Suns game vs the Blazers for $14 for one seat. Same seat vs the Heat is like $50. Always been like that here.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
I don't see any reason for them to refund the money. As a basketball fan you should realize injuries are part of the risk. I would have to think that if that's the case then people would end up putting a serious dent into a teams revenue. I mean how about when Derrick Rose blew out his knee? Bulls would of probably lost a fortune due to refunds for a year long injury. And jesus what about the Blazers? All of their young stars getting injured over the years, would they have ever made money?

And this would probably open the door to refunds if a star player plays poorly. I mean I pay to see Lebron and to see Lebron dominate teams. If he shoots 2-15 or fouls out in 25 foul plagued minutes should I have to pay full price for that?

Really? I've never heard of an arena/team that DOESN'T do that. Currently I can get upper deck tickets to a Suns game vs the Blazers for $14 for one seat. Same seat vs the Heat is like $50. Always been like that here.
Injuries are fine. A team like San An just sending all its good players home the day prior to an actual game though? That's a joke to anyone who bought tickets. They bought tickets to see Duncan, Parker and Ginobili and not one of them played. They weren't injured, their coach just game them the game off. That isn't ok to a paying fan.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Injuries are fine. A team like San An just sending all its good players home the day prior to an actual game though? That's a joke to anyone who bought tickets. They bought tickets to see Duncan, Parker and Ginobili and not one of them played. They weren't injured, their coach just game them the game off. That isn't ok to a paying fan.

That I can agree with. But what if he had said he was giving them a dayoff to rest their "injuries". Makes it harder to really judge when/if to give a partial refund

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
Back then when Lebron was on the Cavs, tickets were a lot more expensive because we were winning a ton. Now that price has dropped dramatically.

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
I don't think refunds are warranted, I think the suspension itself was the right act.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For anyone who purchases extremely expensive tickets only to find out star players are sitting, my advice would be to complain to ticket sales personnel who are in position to grant you free tickets. If you communicate with them in a friendly but serious manner, there is a high chance they will offer you free tickets or very nice discounts for future games.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts