Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
That's how bad the center position has become?

·
Mammal
2,299 Posts
My initial reaction was "wow, this really says something about the death of the true center in the NBA.."

But I guess everything is reactionary, and all in all this probably makes the most sense.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't see the need to do this. Just because there's a lot more talented players as pf's. They should at least have one designated spot for a centre.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
I love this idea. I hate it when better players are left off the team because of filling necessary positional requirements.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Hmm, so we could conceivably see a starting frontcourt with three small forwards.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Unless injuries happen, Bynum and Howard should still start for the all-star teams for the foreseeable future... unless the voters go crazy.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
So long Hibbert...
Is this for the coaches ballot too? I thought it was just for the fans ballot?

Starting east front court- pierce, lebron and melo versus Durant, griffin and Howard!

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
**** that.

I hate this new age NBA where they try to move away from positions.

I don't want some nancy standing at the 3 point line shooting 3's for my center. I want a guy in the paint throwing elbows and grabbing rebounds.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I want a guy in the paint throwing elbows and grabbing rebounds.
Sounds like somebody wants Hibbert on that team real bad.

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
Well that's ****ing stupid.

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
Meh. Conceivably it also allows mulitple centers to be selected as well, something the article points out. I think the best overall players will get in and it isn't like the small forward position is that deep.

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Off the top of my head I'd say Lebron, Melo, Bynum, Horford, Josh Smith, Bosh and Noah all get in before Hibbert. Btw I think it sucks but like someone said earlier, it does leave the possibility of more than one center getting in.

·
Premium Member
6,367 Posts
Sounds like they are also removing it from the coach's ballots.

This is a great decision for many reasons. On a very basic level, it'll turn the All-Star Game into a more star-studded event. Over roughly the past decade, the backup centers selected to the All-Star Game, while usually very good players, have also been the weakest picks. Think back, for instance, to 2004, when Hornets center Jamaal Magloire was selected out of necessity rather than some overarching desire to include him in proceedings. This development is bad news for players like Marc Gasol and Roy Hibbert, but they can always be chosen on the merits if they prove deserving. That's certainly a better option than including them simply because they qualify under an outdated method of designating positions.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...ter-position-star-ballots-140538749--nba.html

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
I mean this won't affect fan voting because Howard/Bynum are still going to represent their respective conferences.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts