1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005/06 Chicago Bulls Payroll: $33.5 million
2005/06 Estimated NBA Salary Cap: $45 million
Roughly: $11.5 million under cap

The Good: The Bulls have a very young, talented team, which means small, short-term rookie contracts. Rookie contracts are like maximum strength Tylenol to a salary cap; they reduce swelling and alleviate a lot of headaches.

...The players have found a good chemistry and keeping them together will only strengthen that bond. Chicago will have the cap space to resign some of their other young players or dip into the free agent market. The sky is the limit.

The Bad: Antonio Davis will be paid a handsome sum next season ($13.9 million). That's a high price to pay for someone barely contributing. Luckily, that will be the last year of his contract.

Having a lot of young talent is great, but at some point they do want to be paid, and other teams will go after them tenaciously. The danger exists of overpaying certain players because of the frenzy.

The Future: The bright glare from this team's potential is blinding. They have good young prospects at every position and tons of cap room.

Bonus Points… for drafting proven college players instead of high school phenoms and foreign enigmas recently. Getting the best players from power programs like UConn, Duke, and Kansas is a great way to rebuild a team. Giving them lots of playing time together helps out even more.

Grade: A

http://nbadraft.net/stateofthecapchicago001.asp

:greatjob: PAX!!!

i take issue with notion that AD is "barely contributing" - ok maybe at that price - but what he brings to this team is invaluable, imo.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
I am with you about AD. What he does and brings to the team is invaluable. Sure he is not worth the contract. I won't argue with that. But "barely contributing" is not true. Not true at all and i wonder if the writer has even seen the bulls play at all this season? Anyone could have done research based on salary and rookie's. Most of what he said has been said elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
:allhail:

Paxson, wow!

The Future: The bright glare from this team's potential is blinding. They have good young prospects at every position and tons of cap room.
That about says it all.

I agree that it's difficult to hear "outsiders" disparage the contributions of a
guy like Antonio Davis who has been indispensable in so many ways, primarily from a leadership standpoint. However, it's also hard to argue that, objectively, he has to have one of the worst contracts in basketball from an on-the-floor contributions standpoint. I mean, he's a MAX guy!

However, I wouldn't throw him back for a second! I can't believe the Bulls are both good right now AND looking good down the road...incredible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts