Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,141 Posts
This may be the weakest draft class in the last 20 years. Hopefully we package this pick with one of our current players to score a top-level proven NBA talent.

-Pop
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,910 Posts
I got an email from John Nash earlier today. He told me he had scouts who are watching Gerald Green and his scouts saw him as late as Tuesday. He said he is very athletic but didn't go into anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
SodaPopinski said:
This may be the weakest draft class in the last 20 years. Hopefully we package this pick with one of our current players to score a top-level proven NBA talent.

-Pop
I can't remember a draft in the past 10 years that people said it was deep (at the time of the draft). Two years ago, the one with Lebron, everyone talked about how it was only 3 players deep, and they weren't including Wade.

From what I've heard this year, this is the deepest draft that's came around in a while. There doesn't appear to be a can't miss, but there are a lot of solid players projected late 1st round.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
Tince said:
I can't remember a draft in the past 10 years that people said it was deep (at the time of the draft). Two years ago, the one with Lebron, everyone talked about how it was only 3 players deep, and they weren't including Wade.
I COMPLETELY agree. I couldn't believe that at the time, Wade was getting hardly no mention at all. People are always saying that the draft is going to be "weak," or whatever, then the draft actually rolls around and it appears to be anything but "weak" (assuming management has a "plan"). In D-Wade's case, he should've gone second, IMO (or maybe third, if Detroit had taken 'melo instead of Wade). Could you imagine a starting five of D-Wade, Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Ben Wallace, and Rasheed Wallace?:eek:

I couldn't believe Wade was around at #5. Sure Bosh is a STUD as well, but I'd take D-Wade in a heartbeat over him. Hell, if it hadn't been for 'Bron, Dwyane should've gone first.

All in all, I think that as we get closer, we'll see a clearer picture of what will take place. Of course I hope that we win the lottery drawing and get the number one pick, but if we move uo to two or three, I'm just hoping that Marvin Williams (Bogut if not) will still be available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,412 Posts
Sambonius said:
I got an email from John Nash earlier today. He told me he had scouts who are watching Gerald Green and his scouts saw him as late as Tuesday. He said he is very athletic but didn't go into anything.
He probably just mentioned that he was very athletic in order to hint to you that we already have enought athletic players, and what we really need to draft is a player who has proper fundamentals to go with the athleticism......ala Rudy Fernandez....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,412 Posts
Those mock boards change almost weekly.....I'm not going to put much stock into them until about a week before the draft.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,001 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
He probably just mentioned that he was very athletic in order to hint to you that we already have enought athletic players, and what we really need to draft is a player who has proper fundamentals to go with the athleticism......ala Rudy Fernandez....
We've put up with undersized players in the back court for too long. We've got a slightly taller PG now with Telfair than we've had, but drafting a 6'5" (or maybe even 6'4", according to some reports) shooting guard isn't something that sounds very appealing to me.

If we want fundamentally sound, we'll sign Mark Madsen as a free agent. I think it's more important to get the best player we can at whatever position we get.

Ed O.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,412 Posts
A 6'5" shooting guard has been getting it done in the league for years.....I actually think that 6'5" is about average size for a shooting guard.....Kobe is 6'6", Ray Allen is 6'5" (actually more like 6'4"), Richard Hamilton is listed 6'7" but having stood next to him is realistically like 6'5", Dwyane Wade is 6'4", Allen Iverson is 6'0" and Francis is about 6'3".......I think that Rudy being 6'5" isnt going to be a problem in the league.....

If we want fundamentally sound, we'll sign Mark Madsen as a free agent. I think it's more important to get the best player we can at whatever position we get.
Not sure how Mark Madsen correlates to this discussion......I'm talking about skilled fundamentally sound players.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,001 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
I think that Rudy being 6'5" isnt going to be a problem in the league.....
Clearly you don't. Clearly you are set in your opinion that he's going to be an absolute stud and you are unwilling or unable to synthesize any viewpoint or data that might weaken your resolve that the Blazers should take him.

For people who are less set in their opinions, though, it's important to point out a player's shortcomings (in this case, his shortness).

Ed O.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
70,380 Posts
If this really is the weakest draft in 20 years, then how the hell are you going to get a proven star out of the pick?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts
Ed O said:
Clearly you don't. Clearly you are set in your opinion that he's going to be an absolute stud and you are unwilling or unable to synthesize any viewpoint or data that might weaken your resolve that the Blazers should take him.

For people who are less set in their opinions, though, it's important to point out a player's shortcomings (in this case, his shortness).

Ed O.
Well, we do have Outlaw and Monia, both who would give us some good size at the 2 if we're having matchup problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,412 Posts
Ed O said:
Clearly you don't. Clearly you are set in your opinion that he's going to be an absolute stud and you are unwilling or unable to synthesize any viewpoint or data that might weaken your resolve that the Blazers should take him.

For people who are less set in their opinions, though, it's important to point out a player's shortcomings (in this case, his shortness).

Ed O.

I dont think him being short for his position (which IMO he's not) is going to weaken my opinion of him.....

Its never weakened my resolve of Charles Barkley or Allen Iverson....

Productivity overcomes height all the time.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,001 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
Its never weakened my resolve of Charles Barkley or Allen Iverson....
I'm sure you were right there on draft day in 1984 when Barkley was chosen as an undersized, overweight forward from Auburn, crying out that his lack of height won't matter.

And Iverson, considered a PG when he entered the NBA, wasn't even considered undersized by most observers.

Productivity overcomes height all the time.........
Hindsight is 20/20. Ignoring a flaw in a player as you look forward, whether it's height or poor shooting or drug use, is not wise. Obviously players can overcome them and while your statement about productivity overcoming height is true, it's not a valuable statement when you're trying to project how a player's going to do at the NBA level.

Ed O.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,910 Posts
I think Ed. O is an extremist when it comes to height. It's definitly a huge factor but if someone is extremely talented, they will over come. I don't see Ed. O saying Dwayne Wade was a bad pick because he was considered too small to play SG and not enough ball handeling skills to play PG. He was considered to close to being a combo guard. His talent over came his physical limits and is now a super star.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,412 Posts
I'm sure you were right there on draft day in 1984 when Barkley was chosen as an undersized, overweight forward from Auburn, crying out that his lack of height won't matter.
No, but he's a good example of why you dont draft players because they're a couple inches shorter of what they're "suppose to be for their position".....
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top