Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2407522

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- The NBA D-League announced Thursday a new player eligibility rule that lowers the minimum age requirement to 18 years, effective with the 2006-07 season.
It think this is good for college basketball and for those students who seriously do not want to attend college. With the new NBA age limit I was worried about players basically going to college for one year only to play in the NBA. This could get rid of those players while giving the true college players the opportunity to play. It's a good weeding process for college basketball.

·
Have a GREAT day!
13,758 Posts
I personally like the idea. I dont think a person should have to go to college if he doesn't want to. But what's going to stop the people who can get a scholarship at a small school think he can jump straight to the NBDL now. It'll be the same thing as the NBA but with more unprepared kids.

Reactions: The Truth

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
jsimo, you and I both know, that regardless of any age limit (or not), guys who are unprepared are going to go to the NBA, simply because they don't like college.

I don't fault anyone for that. It's a man's choice and if you don't make it, you should at least be able to live with that decision.

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
Some of these players (who are NBA material) should always consider the publicity element when making the decision to go to (or stay in) college, vs. going to the NBA or the NBDL.

Players who play for big time programs get a ton of publicity that they definitely wouldn't get in the NBDL or sitting on an NBA team's bench for a few seasons.

Why is publicity important? Publicity = Endorsements

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
The only thing about that, is that the tide is turning in regards to publicity. I mean now we have HS games on television (ESPN).

People who didn't know who Lebron James, Dwight Howard, Sebastian Telfair and Greg Oden were, now know because of ESPN during the season.

Not to mention, the hype for someone like an OJ Mayo should he be the first to do this, would be astronomical.

Last I checked, the minor league doesn't hurt baseball, as there are still 409 millionaries in MLB alone (not including first rounders still in the minor league). The good thing about this, is you'll get your money and you'll still get around the clock training, which you do not get in college.

Only 20 hours a week (that is allowed per NCAA rules).

·
Limehouse Blues
26,986 Posts
I am a little surprised that one of the big names from this year's didn't go to Europe or sign a shoe deal and go to prep school.You know that Oden could get a Brinks truck full of cash from Nike or Adidas ten seconds after he decided not to go to Ohio State.Not sure what sort of money he could get in the Italian League,but you know they have the equivalent of Mark Kuban somewhere over there.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
I think the reason it didn't happen is because no one knew the system.

There is still a chance someone like Kevin Durant (or Derek Caracter) could try it, but I doubt it.

The real test to me is Billy Walker and OJ Mayo. Both guys are 18 years old now, could easily get their GED and be eligible for the D-League in the Fall. I have no idea what these guys are going to do, because the more I think about it, the less I feel they will end up at Kansas State.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
Four_Season_Hustler said:
With Paul Harris grades and now this i just dont see him staying at syracuse or even comming to syracuse at all :cry:
I don't think he's going to go to the D-League. He's 19 already, but I think he may be one and done.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HKF said:
I think the reason it didn't happen is because no one knew the system.

There is still a chance someone like Kevin Durant (or Derek Caracter) could try it, but I doubt it.

The real test to me is Billy Walker and OJ Mayo. Both guys are 18 years old now, could easily get their GED and be eligible for the D-League in the Fall. I have no idea what these guys are going to do, because the more I think about it, the less I feel they will end up at Kansas State.
Getting there GED is a posiblilty, but they still would have to sit out a year.

A player is eligible to be signed to a D-League contract if he is or will be at least 18 years old during the calendar year in which the D-League draft is held and his high school class has graduated.
I actually thought a player could decide to drop out of highschool get their GED, and decide to get some training and preparation during their senior season for the NBDL over playing highschool basketball. I can see player signing a shoe contract and being told to sit out their senior season in fear of being injured, but I believe we probably are about 5-10 years away from someone actually doing it. Today in our society getting a GED is still frowned upon and I could see it being considered a character risk for a possible recuit to do it; however, another James/Oden/Mayo type of player will come along and may attempt it, especially if that player is in a financial hardship situation.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
Thing is OJ Mayo is 18 already and will be 19 in '07. If he were to get his GED, he'd be eligible for the 2007 draft (As a 19 year old).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.