Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shocked this hasn't been a topic yet! Three A-10 coaches names are being discussed heavily on the NC St. boards. The names are Whit, which should be fairly obvious due to his legacy as a player there, Sean Miller and Lutz.

All three are viewed as second tier guys and aren't getting much buzz. They are however dreaming about the likes of Larry Brown, Bobby Knight, Jay Wright, Thad Matta and John Calipari (no too far-fetched on Cal). I think Whit still has much to prove at this level before he is considered for this, his dream job. Miller is still too young, but Lutz could be an interesting name thrown out there.

Thoughts...

·
And Justise For All
64,303 Posts
What GMU's coach? His name escapes me right now.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think Lutz is a real candidate for this job. As far as Whittenburg, I think it's too premature for a school like NC State to consider him considering he hasn't done enough yet in his career. However I think he's better than Lutz, but I don't think NC State would take that gamble even if it's on one of their own.

·
Registered
72 Posts
State will chase the flavor of the month coach after failing with the Pitino's and Barnes' of the world.
State still thinks that it's 1983 and that every coach in America dreams about going there.

I wouldn't be surprised if they bagged Calipari.

Tintin

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Tintin said:
State will chase the flavor of the month coach after failing with the Pitino's and Barnes' of the world.
State still thinks that it's 1983 and that every coach in America dreams about going there.

Tintin
Calipari is hardly "flavor of the month". He has coached D1 ball for 14 seasons. His record is 342-130. His teams have made the postseason in thirteen of his fourteen seasons. In both schools, UMass and Memphis, he dramatically improved the graduation rate of the basketball players. Calipari is very clearly one of the best coaches in college basketball today.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tintin said:

Tintin
I assume you don't think of Calipari as "the flavor of the month". I think he may just be the man for them now that Memphis lacks the power conference behind them.

Afetr reading some of the NC State board it amazes me what they expect. They had a coach that ran a clean program and made the tourney 9 out of 10 years if I'm not mistaken. The fans there practically ran him out of town. I hope he does well at ASU.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
J92 said:
I assume you don't think of Calipari as "the flavor of the month". I think he may just be the man for them now that Memphis lacks the power conference behind them.

Afetr reading some of the NC State board it amazes me what they expect. They had a coach that ran a clean program and made the tourney 9 out of 10 years if I'm not mistaken. The fans there practically ran him out of town. I hope he does well at ASU.
It's a brutal job. I think any coach would be crazy to take it. Herb Sendek is absolutely one of the good guys in D1 ball. He pretty much was never going to satisfy State fans unless he won the NC. I was at the second State-UNC game this year - at the RBC Center (State) - and the place emptied out with about 10 minutes to go because UNC was up big. They are not a group of fans I would want to be part of.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm thinking Calipari. State has a HUGE inferiority complex when it comes to UNC-Chapel Hill and Duke. They want someone with the ego to stand up to Williams and K. Calipari will get them some wins and probably have them on probation. As far as Lutz, after the last two seasons, I'm not so sure State would even consider him. As for us Niners, we go through this it seems every postseason.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I think Calipari is more likely to take the Oklahoma job after Sampson went to Indiana.

Clearly he is ready to bail on C-USA, and he has a better chance of winning the Big12 at a school that is willing to spend whatever it takes. Better to take that than a middle of the pack ACC school.

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Miller will get a look just because of his history with State. Similar to what would have happened at Pitt, he will not be one of the top two or three candidates but will get a look.

xu95

·
Registered
95 Posts
VA49er said:
Calipari will get them some wins and probably have them on probation.
Why would you make such an assinine statement??? When has Calipari ever had a team that has been on probation in the past? Why would you assume that Calipari would cause enough trouble there to get them on probation? That's just ignorance and stupidity.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Kosty said:
Why would you make such an assinine statement??? When has Calipari ever had a team that has been on probation in the past? Why would you assume that Calipari would cause enough trouble there to get them on probation? That's just ignorance and stupidity.
of course calipari was the coach of the umass team that after the fact had their final four appearance wiped out of the record book for cheating. and if you believe that calipari is innocent in the camby affairs you are naive.

since leaving umass and the nba at memphis he of course gave scholarships to best friends of mcdonalds all americans and gave that same players father a "head of basketball operations" job

he had a player that was academically ineligible regain his academic standings in one semester by passing 27 credit hours

last year they had the incident where the players reported their ungodly valued jewelry and furs and electronics reported stolen to the police.

sure the above isnt illegal but it sure makes you wonder...hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

calipari is scum. oh one more thing, one of the absolute worst game coaches i have ever witnessed. you can get more game organization walking to any park court, grabbing 5 guys and telling them, "hey you're playing uab tonite...good luck!"

but he sure manages to get some unbelieveable talent every year. i will give him that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I shouldn't even dignify this drivel with a response, but the NCAA investigated the Camby affair and found NO wrongdoing on the part of the University or it's coaching staff in the Camby mess, nor did they find any lack of institutional control. That last piece is significant in that this is usually the catch-all the NCAA uses to put the hammer down on the have-not schools.

Further, obviously you never watched Calipari's UMass teams play if you think he's a poor game coach. His UMass teams were far from talent-laden in terms of Top 50+ recruits, McD's All Americans, etc... In his time there, he only landed only one McD's AA (Donta Bright) and very few others were highly rated recruits (Roe, Camby & Ty Weeks were probably the highest.) Like him or not, the man could coach, at least during his time in Amherst. The man won 5 straight A10 regular season and tournament titles at a time when the league was much stronger than it is now (Temple was a top 10-15 team during a few of those years for example). As for what has transpired in his Post UMass career, I'm not privy to the details, nor do I particularly care. He may get by now on talent alone, but he certainly wasn't doing that at UMass.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
billiken_roy said:
calipari is scum. oh one more thing, one of the absolute worst game coaches i have ever witnessed. you can get more game organization walking to any park court, grabbing 5 guys and telling them, "hey you're playing uab tonite...good luck!"

but he sure manages to get some unbelieveable talent every year. i will give him that.
I just had a Epiphany recently. It came to me after ultimate scumbag Bob Huggins was hired by Kansas Sate. UNIVERSITIES DON'T CARE ABOUT TRANSGRESSIONS AS LONG AS YOU WIN.

My list of the biggest Scumbags in the business:
Bliss (Baylor coach) - Has to be number one on everybodys list. No way he gets another job. Right?
Bob Huggins - Graduation, What's that?
Jim Harrick & Son - Just plain dirty
Eddie Sutton - See Wildcats, Kentucky
John Calipari -
Tom Penders - He did have great hair though. Great curls.
Rollie Massimino - That Fat F***. I know he doesn't belong on this list but I hate that piece of sh**.

Who else needs to be added?

Jim Calhoun (From Crank)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Crank said:
Further, obviously you never watched Calipari's UMass teams play if you think he's a poor game coach.
I agree with Crank on one thing - He is a very good coach. Those UMass teams were a joy to watch. Of course his comments about finding no wrongdoing seems strange. Why did the UMass Final Four appearance get stricken from the record?

·
Registered
95 Posts
The Final Four was wiped out because Camby took cash and jewelry from an agent. The NCAA did a full investigation and found that there was no way the university and the coaching staff could have known. They placed the blame squarely where it should have gone, on Camby. Calipari and his staff have never been punished by the NCAA for any reason.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The way Calipari does things since taking over at Memphis seem to be different than the way he operated when he was at UMass. He only had a couple of genuine blue chippers while at UMass. The rest for the most part were a bunch of slightly undersized players passed over by the BCS schools, with a couple of academic non-qualifies tossed in. They all stuck around the full 4 years. The Prop 48's too. The results speak for themselves - he's a proven game coach. If Roy wants to walk around believing otherwise that's his problem. Wouldn't be the first or last time that happens.

Since leaving UMass Calipari certainly has had a couple of well-publicized unsavory incidents. "Since leaving UMass" being the operative phrase. In Memphis he gets to pick from a nice pool of Blue Chippers, a luxury he never had in Amherst. He's had modest success with them, but they don't seem to stick around very long. If they did he'd do a better job of molding them into a coherent team. I don't see it as being a bad game coach.

Roy apparently has some evidence of wrongdoing involving Calipari in the Camby Affair. Only the naive would think the BRoy is just indulging in some Ollie Stone style speculation. So Roy, please share.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.