Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,510 Posts
The way Calipari does things since taking over at Memphis seem to be different than the way he operated when he was at UMass. He only had a couple of genuine blue chippers while at UMass. The rest for the most part were a bunch of slightly undersized players passed over by the BCS schools, with a couple of academic non-qualifies tossed in. They all stuck around the full 4 years. The Prop 48's too. The results speak for themselves - he's a proven game coach. If Roy wants to walk around believing otherwise that's his problem. Wouldn't be the first or last time that happens.

Since leaving UMass Calipari certainly has had a couple of well-publicized unsavory incidents. "Since leaving UMass" being the operative phrase. In Memphis he gets to pick from a nice pool of Blue Chippers, a luxury he never had in Amherst. He's had modest success with them, but they don't seem to stick around very long. If they did he'd do a better job of molding them into a coherent team. I don't see it as being a bad game coach.

Roy apparently has some evidence of wrongdoing involving Calipari in the Camby Affair. Only the naive would think the BRoy is just indulging in some Ollie Stone style speculation. So Roy, please share.

· Registered
1,510 Posts
Does NC State have lots of cash to throw at a new Coach? I just assume most State Schools are in the same boat that the UMass's and URI's on the Northeast are in and don't. It would have to be an awfully sweet deal to lure Calipari, Money is King to a guy like that. The lure of the ACC by itself wouldn't be enough, IMH and uninformed Opinion.

· Registered
1,510 Posts
Free Quebec said:
Look at Rick Pitino -- he made a final 4 last year, but he hasn't done as well since the NBA as he did before it. I can't think of many coaches who have.
What you're saying in general may be true, but you picked a bad example with Pitino.

He left the NBA to lead Providence to a Final Four.
He left the NBA a second time to lead Kentucky to two Final Fours and two Elite Eights.
He left the NBA a third time to lead Louisville to a Final Four.

But yeah, he's an exception to the rule.

As for Calipari, his stay in the NBA was pretty brief. I don't that's it. I think all the money has made him a little soft, middle age perhaps mellowed him a little, he doesn't seem as intense. And the guys he brings in don't stick around long enough.

As for the Hall of Shame, I nominate the St John's era Mike Jarvis. And Clem Haskins. And Nolan Richardson.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.