Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
And it continued while they were on probation.

I don't understand why the tutoring issue is separate from the fake class issue. What's the distinction? Seems like everyone should immediately offer fake classes, fill them mostly with money sport athletes and a few non-athletes to make it "fair", and then never have to worry about someone missing a game for academic ineligibility again.

After the crackdown on Penn st (which I agreed with), I don't see how they justify not also cracking down on Chapel Hill for loss of institutional control. I'm also confident that we'll eventually find out someone was paying the AFAM prof to offer those fake courses since the university was not paying him for all them, at least officially. Why else would he offer them? I'm guessing a booster connection will eventually surface.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The dirty rats who run the NCAA will never crack down or UNC or Duke nor high profile coaches who cheat (Calipari, Calhoun)... because all the NCAA really cares about is money.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
After the crackdown on Penn st (which I agreed with), I don't see how they justify not also cracking down on Chapel Hill for loss of institutional control.....
Well, I didn't agree with the PSU crackdown because I didn't feel the criminal and civil cases (for which, I believe, a number of people should be in jail and for which the PSU athletic department should be bankrupted) were really any of the NCAA's business. On the other hand, fake classes are precisely what the NCAA SHOULD be penalizing.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Well, I didn't agree with the PSU crackdown because I didn't feel the criminal and civil cases (for which, I believe, a number of people should be in jail and for which the PSU athletic department should be bankrupted) were really any of the NCAA's business. On the other hand, fake classes are precisely what the NCAA SHOULD be penalizing.
I agree that this is even more up the NCAA's alley. But I still agree with punishing Penn St too. I like to think about it in two parts: 1) if it had been a school janitor attacking kids, and his lowly supervisor didn't want to call the police, would anyone have listened? No way, that person would've been fired and possibly even in jail after the first report. So Sandusky goes free for many years to attack again, and the only reason was the administration wanted to protect football. That's loss of institutional control over the football program and needs to be punished to help balance the calculus future administrations make (protecting a predator to protect football vs. the risk of harsh penalties for having done so), and 2) did Penn st. gain an athletic advantage from this coverup. I think the answer is clearly yes. Recruiting would have suffered immensely from such a scandal, and the school would've gotten plenty of bad press. The team would've been worse for many years if this hadn't been covered up, so it was an advantage no different than recruiting violations. The specific rule broken was still loss of institutional control. If they fail to punish this, the incentive to cover up future crimes is too great.

And the incentive to offer fake classes is now pretty high too, unless the NCAA decides to stop protecting their sacred cows like Chapel Hill and actually punish fairly. Fat chance that ever happens though.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's all a front. The ncaa has no moral compass, no purpose, there should be a movement to get rid of it. Literally, they don't have a clue OR just don't care. Funny, how they can pass judgment on a HS course but can't figure this one out. This was beyond the athletic program. PSU should have fought them and brought THEM down. Funny, how they go after the (ND) Fighting Sioux BUT not the (ND) Fighting Irish.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
It's all a front. The ncaa has no moral compass, no purpose, there should be a movement to get rid of it. Literally, they don't have a clue OR just don't care. Funny, how they can pass judgment on a HS course but can't figure this one out. This was beyond the athletic program. PSU should have fought them and brought THEM down. Funny, how they go after the (ND) Fighting Sioux BUT not the (ND) Fighting Irish.
F**K YEAH!

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
The argument is not seriously that "non-athletes got fake grades too" is it? That's not even a loophole, that's a ****ing archway.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I can't believe we haven't heard more about it in general from the media. This could be the worst academic scandal involving "scholar" athletes that I've ever heard of, depending on what a real investigation would find (particularly if there was collusion between the athletic department/boosters and the AFAM department). By the way, nobody in the media has been able to interview the chair of that department nor the department administrator who oversaw scheduling, except for UNC, and they are refusing to say anything about what was said in those interviews. Multiple national championships in basketball potentially tainted along with a number of well-known NBA stars, several sports involved, and the staining of a university's academic reputation. Locally, most of the reporters and editors are Chapel Hill grads, but how is this not getting more attention nationally?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't believe we haven't heard more about it in general from the media. This could be the worst academic scandal involving "scholar" athletes that I've ever heard of, depending on what a real investigation would find (particularly if there was collusion between the athletic department/boosters and the AFAM department). By the way, nobody in the media has been able to interview the chair of that department nor the department administrator who oversaw scheduling, except for UNC, and they are refusing to say anything about what was said in those interviews. Multiple national championships in basketball potentially tainted along with a number of well-known NBA stars, several sports involved, and the staining of a university's academic reputation. Locally, most of the reporters and editors are Chapel Hill grads, but how is this not getting more attention nationally?
Aw, come on. THIS is the systematic problem the NCAA spoke regarding the PSU situation. Plus there is a racial factor, that's a third rail in today's society, especially with sports & colleges. But it goes on virtually at a lot of these institutions. How do kids who don't project academically from HS suddenly become "scholars". Look at the average students who have to take remedial courses just to get accepted into schools. You're telling me that kids who majored in bball/fball in high school, suddenly a switch goes off and they become stars in the academic field? The ncaa is not going to cook the goose that laid the golden egg, toomany of $$$$$$$$$. There is some much of this going on that they are immune to doing anything about it. Eligibility is determined by each institution once kids are in the door. Privacy issues become the smokescreen to keep everyone in the dark. How hard is it to keep a kid eligible (& on track) for a year or two (hello, Kentucky!). The ncaa is a bogus organization and needs to be put to rest. Start all over again. But too many dollars are a stake, so the facade will continue with pontificating from the ncaa. A lot of Sgt Schultz-ing will follow.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Even if the worst is true as to UNC, IMO, their actions don't come close to the actions of the PSU administrators, Prez, AD, Head of Security and Head Coach. This trash sat by for years as a pedophile victmized innocent kids. I also find repugnant that the library is still named for Paterno. Hopefully the fball team will continue the streak started by OU. Oh wait I forgot, PSU is making nice by dropping "Sweet Caroline" from the marching band's playlist. Fair is fair, we should all forgive them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts