Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the early bracketology sites have AE pegged for either a 14 or 15 seed for tournament. Which would be an improvement over the past couple years when AE's been a 16, right?

One of the most intriguing has AE (Vermont) opposite Big Ten's Wisconsin. Not that the Badgers are not a good team, they're very good. But athetically speaking, it could be an interesting matchup.

Unlike BU/Cincinnati a couple years ago and UVM/Arizona last year.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
My Take..

BU 14 Seed
UVM 15 Seed
NU 15/16

Everyone else, 16

I can't see UVM getting a higher seed than BU if BU wins the tourney, BU's SOS and RPI are higher by about 30 places (from what I've seen) than UVM.

If UVM plays Wisconsin in Milwaukee, I'll be there, I've got tickets already. Anyone know the words to "On Wisconsin"??

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think UWisconsin uses it anymore. Ever since Barry Alvarez revived interest in the football program, they pretty much go with the Budweiser song, you know ... "When you've said Wisssss-con-sin, you've said it all."

Take it from a person who's been to Madison a few times, Badger fans are one of a kind. Some would call it belligerant. Nobody does drunk like Badger fans.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Re: My Take..

Originally posted by <b>NU Hoop Fan</b>!
Anyone know the words to "On Wisconsin"??
Well, kinda.... :D

I know the real lyrics are something like "On Wisconsin, On Wisconsin, break right through that line...." la la la "victory this time" ... la la rah cheer, etc., like most fight songs.

However, THIS I remember. Several years ago, when UW football was in the tubes, the UW band made new lyrics:

On Wisconsin, On Wisconsin,
Bounce right off that line!
Run the ball three times a series,
punt on fourth and nine.
On Wisconsin, On Wisconsin,
Every week's the same.
Drink fellas, drink, drink, drink
Forget this game.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Stevie B</b>!
I agree with

Vermont - 14
BU, NEastern - 15
I totally disagree.

There is no way AT THIS POINT IN THE SEASON that Vermont could rate a higher seed than BU, simply (as NU Hoop Fan said) because BU has a much better RPI. Even if you add in intangibles, BU would still earn a higher seed simply because they showed they can BEAT teams from the major conferences (Michigan this year and Florida State last year), not just play them tough.

That's the reality of the seeding process.

If Vermont wins the AE tournament, I don't see them being seeded higher than 15, and maybe even dropping to a 16. They'd need A LOT of luck and upsets in just about every mid-major conference above them to get to a 14.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
There is way too much season left to decide where anybody is going to be.

Nobody has mentioned "At-Large." :no:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just checking, but you're joking about an at-large bid ... right?

And I must disagree, it's not too early to start talking seeds. Just a little more than a month to Selection Sunday. Granted, the seeds will keep fluctuating a bit, but it's not too early to think about it.

Vermont: 14
BU: 14
NU: 15 or 16
Anybody else: 16

By the way MJeff, how many bids do you think the CAA will get this year?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Yes I'm kidding.

There are many variables to the rest of season. Due to my beliefs about karma and jinkses I feel it's way early to discuss seeds outright. Around the bush version: If one team wins out it makes a huge difference in the seeding compared to if they lost one game.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Anyone that thinks Vermont is going to get a #16 seed is on crack. You do realize that AE is around #25 in the RPI, right? That means that 5 or 6 conferences are rated lower, and there might be upsets in other leagues in the #15-#25 range. Boston U COULD get a 14 seed (if they don't beat Vermont 2 of 3 then they won't). I still say:

Vermont - #14
Boston U or Northeastern - #15
Anyone else - #16

·
Registered
280 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mainejeff</b>!
Anyone that thinks Vermont is going to get a #16 seed is on crack. You do realize that AE is around #25 in the RPI, right? That means that 5 or 6 conferences are rated lower, and there might be upsets in other leagues in the #15-#25 range. Boston U COULD get a 14 seed (if they don't beat Vermont 2 of 3 then they won't). I still say:

Vermont - #14
Boston U or Northeastern - #15
Anyone else - #16
It is my understanding that the RPI of the college, not the conference, is used to seed teams for the NCAAs. In 2002, BU had a 157 RPI and was seeded a 16. This year Vermont currently has a RPI of around 131, which says to me that they probably would get a 15 seed, but could concievably receive a 16 seed with a little bad luck (at least one team in a lower ranked conference currently has a better individual RPI and several are close).

BU currently has an RPI of around 108. If they win the playoffs, they are a lock for at least a 15, and possibly could get a 14 with a little luck. However, I won't hold my breath as the powers that be seldom give AE teams (especially New England teams) a break in seeding.

(I use the term "around" because several unofficial places calculate RPI and all are a bit different in their calculations...who knows what the "official" RPI is?).

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Vermont or Boston will be a solid 14 if they don't lose more than one more regular season game. Both will have a chance to move up to a 13 if there are significant upsets in the other low and mid-major conferences.

With the Coppenrath injury, let's assume that BU wins out.

There are 8 conferences where the conference leader is below Boston U. on both RPI and Sagarin -- Big Sky, Big South, Mid-Con, MEAC, NEC, Patriot, Southland and SWAC. Then add in the Ivy, where Penn's Sagarin is better than BU, but their RPI is worse. Those 9 will make up the 5 16-seeds (including the play-in) and all four of the 15's.

Taking it one step further, there are 8 more conferences -- Atlantic Sun, Colonial, Horizon, MAAC, OVC, Southern, Sun Belt and West Coast -- where BU ranks as strong or stronger than the #2 team. This means they would (in some cases) or could (in others) move up the seed charts if there is an upset in any of those conferences.

I don't think it's likely, but it isn't impossible for the stars to align in such a way that BU gets a 13 seed.

Vermont is probably a 14. Northeastern or Maine would probably get a 15. With other conference upsets, Binghamton could potentially get a 15, because their RPI would improve a bit with successive AE tournament victories against the 4, 1 and then 2nd or 3rd seeds. Everyone else is a 16.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts