Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Winter sports seniors played their entire season. If you give them a magical year back, even just a one-time waiver, that opens the doors to so much potential legality stuff or protesting eligibility standards it's not even worth the headache.

If you asked me though to come up with a compromise...I'd say a grad transfer student who has more coursework and that meets some academic threshold...say like 3.3 GPA and up and is on track to graduate with a full grad degree by May 2021, they can apply for a waiver by a certain date. That or if there was a senior with a season-ending injury and in total only played like fewer than 35% of games at any point in the season, they can get a waiver...so that's basically bumping up the cutoff for hardship standards. But, my sense is and the right thing to ultimately do is just move on because as much as this all sucks, trying to figure all that out would be an absolute mess.

·
Premium Member
33,129 Posts
The only Winter sports seniors that should be eligible to come back are the ones that has their seasons cut short by conferences/NCAA cancelation. I’d be willing to bet a large number would forego the option to come back, at least for men’s basketball.

It’s really the only way to make someone like Anthony Lamb or Everett Duncan whole in all of this. Sure, life’s not fair but the NCAA in this case has the power to do something right and remedy the situation.

·
Registered
775 Posts
The only Winter sports seniors that should be eligible to come back are the ones that has their seasons cut short by conferences/NCAA cancelation. I’d be willing to bet a large number would forego the option to come back, at least for men’s basketball.

It’s really the only way to make someone like Anthony Lamb or Everett Duncan whole in all of this. Sure, life’s not fair but the NCAA in this case has the power to do something right and remedy the situation.
Make their life whole? WTF...this is a catastrophe this likes we’ve never seen. There are lot worse things happening. They will live a quite happy life having played their last college game.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Ok, “The top two teams in the conference tournament get to keep their top seniors.” Say it out loud. It would be such a crazy advantage over everyone else. I love the UVM seniors and would enjoy the idea of seeing them getting one more shot on the court, but it’s just not reasonable.
Exactly. Actually, not exactly. Let me add to your statement. "The top two teams in the conference tournament get to keep their top seniors, because they missed one or two games out of 30+ games during their senior season".

·
Premium Member
33,129 Posts
Make their life whole? WTF...this is a catastrophe this likes we’ve never seen. There are lot worse things happening. They will live a quite happy life having played their last college game.
I didn’t say make their “life” whole, make them whole on the season. The goal for pretty much every kid playing D1 basketball is to play in the NCAA Tournament. The NCAA profits enough off these players, it’s the least they could do for them given the situation was out of everyone’s control; this is an obvious decision they easily have control over.

I really don’t think Lamb spent his senior year at UVM to only play up until the semifinals of the AE tournament....people talking about how they beat St. John’s in like Nov and how that should suffice doesn’t even come close to playing in the NCAA Tournament. Every kid in their final year that was on the verge of getting that opportunity a last time had it taken away. Their season is incomplete without a trip to the dance.

It’s not just about Lamb, it’s about every senior that had their season cut short. Max Mahoney from BU should get another chance to play in the NCAA Tournament if he wants it. Everett Duncan, etc

·
Premium Member
33,129 Posts
Of course, this is all a moot point. There are bigger things at stake now then a week ago, like I hope everyone on this board is a. Still alive and b. At least 6 out of 10 posters still have jobs by next year’s NCAA Tournament.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
We are definitely in for a rough ride. Please pay attention to PTSD warning signs because this may be the biggest whack on the head that many people have ever experienced.

FWIW I have found that when I have washed my hands, a new obsession, and my hands are clean I wash my face.
That really cuts down on the face touches which are said to be a bad thing. I'm NotDeadYet and want to stay that way.

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A potential compromise. Resume Conference Tournaments, and the NCAA Tournament at the start of next season. Give those teams a couple weeks to practice before hand. Allow the seniors a chance to finish those final games with dignity, and immediately move on to the next season.

·
Premium Member
33,129 Posts
Exactly. Actually, not exactly. Let me add to your statement. "The top two teams in the conference tournament get to keep their top seniors, because they missed one or two games out of 30+ games during their senior season".
Yeah, but pointing out the obvious those 1-2 games they miss are literally the most important games of the season. It’s what the other 28+ games are preparing you for.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
We are definitely in for a rough ride. Please pay attention to PTSD warning signs because this may be the biggest whack on the head that many people have ever experienced.

FWIW I have found that when I have washed my hands, a new obsession, and my hands are clean I wash my face.
That really cuts down on the face touches which are said to be a bad thing. I'm NotDeadYet and want to stay that way.
yeah I hear you....I wash my hands as if I have about 20 surgeries to perform each day. I did see this today which is encouraging:

They tested the drug hydroxy-chloroquine on positive covid-19 patients and they were clear of the disease in 6 days.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Just let it go... trying to manufacture some way for the affected seniors to sort-of play the games they missed out on seems completely impractical to me. Kids will have graduated and they should get on with their post-college lives. Yes, incredibly disappointing to have lost the chance to compete for the conference championship and playing in the NCAA tournament. But if this is the worst life will ever throw at these kids, they'll be doing pretty well. And at least let next year's seniors be the seniors, all on their own. They've earned that, too. Time to move on, IMO.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I agree with this this ^^ (UVM7680)

Would Lamb and Ev, etc. even come back? They are student athletes and will complete their degrees. Time to move on

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I agree with this this ^^ (UVM7680)

Would Lamb and Ev, etc. even come back? They are student athletes and will complete their degrees. Time to move on
I don't think many would come back. Particularly at the AE level. Most of our basketball seniors have been planning to do one of three things next year -- get a job, continue their education or pursue basketball overseas. Coming back to play another season of AE basketball probably doesn't help with any of those three things and (especially in the case of playing overseas) is one less year of making money in your chosen field.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts