Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Tossing this out there - more of a brainstorm. For Spring sports - if you were on a roster this Spring, drop the full time requirement your last semester to play a sport. That way if someone wants to stay and participate but is on track to graduate, they can still play taking less than 12 credits. I work at a community college and think it's more feasible at that level. Most community college athletes aren't taking 15 credits a semester anymore anyway. Let that sophomore who could have graduated in Dec. stay one more semester to play his sport?

·
Registered
494 Posts
As mentioned, this concept creates more problems than it fixed. Of course, allowing Vermont and Hartford to keep their seniors from the two best teams in the league while other schools that completed their seasons creates a major issue.

As for Spring, I'm very torn, but honestly I again think it poses other problems. More than anything, it creates issues for this year's juniors. I know it isn't fair for the seniors, but what about the junior who rode the bench for three years waiting their turn. Now they are again stuck behind a player again.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
As mentioned, this concept creates more problems than it fixed. Of course, allowing Vermont and Hartford to keep their seniors from the two best teams in the league while other schools that completed their seasons creates a major issue.

As for Spring, I'm very torn, but honestly I again think it poses other problems. More than anything, it creates issues for this year's juniors. I know it isn't fair for the seniors, but what about the junior who rode the bench for three years waiting their turn. Now they are again stuck behind a player again.
I think Spring is easier in that they will just declare 2020 a non-season and nobody loses a year of eligibility. So that current junior that you describe would still have two remaining seasons of eligibility.

·
5,912 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,100 Posts
I honestly would have felt guilty if Lamb took a year off making money on basketball by playing another year at Vermont.
He wouldn’t have had to come back to Vermont necessarily....could have been a grad transfer.

Unfortunate. Not playing in the NCAA Tournament, not playing in PIT was really the tangible benefit to playing this season given his NBA aspirations. Not having those options will just make that road harder, but a lot of players like him in the same boat.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts