Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Tossing this out there - more of a brainstorm. For Spring sports - if you were on a roster this Spring, drop the full time requirement your last semester to play a sport. That way if someone wants to stay and participate but is on track to graduate, they can still play taking less than 12 credits. I work at a community college and think it's more feasible at that level. Most community college athletes aren't taking 15 credits a semester anymore anyway. Let that sophomore who could have graduated in Dec. stay one more semester to play his sport?

·
Registered
494 Posts
As mentioned, this concept creates more problems than it fixed. Of course, allowing Vermont and Hartford to keep their seniors from the two best teams in the league while other schools that completed their seasons creates a major issue.

As for Spring, I'm very torn, but honestly I again think it poses other problems. More than anything, it creates issues for this year's juniors. I know it isn't fair for the seniors, but what about the junior who rode the bench for three years waiting their turn. Now they are again stuck behind a player again.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
As mentioned, this concept creates more problems than it fixed. Of course, allowing Vermont and Hartford to keep their seniors from the two best teams in the league while other schools that completed their seasons creates a major issue.

As for Spring, I'm very torn, but honestly I again think it poses other problems. More than anything, it creates issues for this year's juniors. I know it isn't fair for the seniors, but what about the junior who rode the bench for three years waiting their turn. Now they are again stuck behind a player again.
I think Spring is easier in that they will just declare 2020 a non-season and nobody loses a year of eligibility. So that current junior that you describe would still have two remaining seasons of eligibility.

·
5,942 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,129 Posts
I honestly would have felt guilty if Lamb took a year off making money on basketball by playing another year at Vermont.
He wouldn’t have had to come back to Vermont necessarily....could have been a grad transfer.

Unfortunate. Not playing in the NCAA Tournament, not playing in PIT was really the tangible benefit to playing this season given his NBA aspirations. Not having those options will just make that road harder, but a lot of players like him in the same boat.

·
5,942 Posts
Cincinnati just cut men's soccer, and G5 conferences are asking for "temporary relief from several regulatory requirements for a period of up to four years." Combine Cincinnati's soccer with ODU's wrestling, more are expected. Shame for soccer if this hurts non-revenue sports nationwide, as the NCAA was set next week for the long-awaited vote on the expansion of the college season.

Has anyone heard about potential cuts at the AE level?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Cincinnati just cut men's soccer, and G5 conferences are asking for "temporary relief from several regulatory requirements for a period of up to four years." Combine Cincinnati's soccer with ODU's wrestling, more are expected. Shame for soccer if this hurts non-revenue sports nationwide, as the NCAA was set next week for the long-awaited vote on the expansion of the college season.

Has anyone heard about potential cuts at the AE level?
Heard UVM may get rid of baseball.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts

That's how UVM is handling it. No additional scholarships, most kids are moving on and graduating, which is going to be the reality. Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin was a bit more direct: Wisconsin's Barry Alvarez says seniors in spring sports won't return in 2021

Fact of the matter is as much as this sucks, every college athletics program might be going a bit or a lot in the gutter so they can't afford it. Willing to bet by 2022 at the D2 and D3 level there are a lot less schools around as well because some just aren't going to survive this. That includes tiny private schools and potentially the smaller state schools in some places.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I'm no expert, but have plenty of time to read these days. Fall sports might be in danger also now. One thing I've seen is that until the majority of the population develops herd immunity, or there is a vaccine, that large gatherings are out. It will be interesting to see as things get phased back in, where sports lie. This one article seems to have a pretty good take on things. Why a return to sports...

·
Premium Member
33,129 Posts
Read an article BU is preparing a plan for students to return to campus in January 2021.

Grab the popcorn. Find a good movie on TNT. We’re gonna be inside for a bit. Sports?

·
Realist/A-hole
5,712 Posts
I would be willing to bet there will be a lot of students taking the semester off if that is the case. No one is going to pay those kind of prices for a virtual education.

·
Premium Member
33,129 Posts
I would be willing to bet there will be a lot of students taking the semester off if that is the case. No one is going to pay those kind of prices for a virtual education.
Agreed. Personally, if it were up to me I would likely seek to unenroll my child if that were the case/minute schools shut down. Although the world is moving forward functioning online, I really don’t think online-only is the type of overall college experience that’s worth current tuition costs.

That all being said, this is what colleges are going to be forced to do (online/distance learning). Really no other option for them until Gov deems safe to congregate/vaccine created.

Anyways, at this point reading more like current trajectory is no fall sports and we may not see (next years!) winter sports either.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Fact of the matter is as much as this sucks, every college athletics program might be going a bit or a lot in the gutter so they can't afford it. Willing to bet by 2022 at the D2 and D3 level there are a lot less schools around as well because some just aren't going to survive this. That includes tiny private schools and potentially the smaller state schools in some places.
I read an article in VTdigger yesterday that detailed the impact Coronavirus is having on the state's higher-ed institutions. Some of the small schools are anticipating a 30% decline in enrollment next fall due to all the uncertainty of whether campuses will be reopened, etc. You have to assume a school already on shaky financial ground as an under-capitalized private school in rural America losing 30% of their students would certainly be the death nail.

The Chancellor of Vermont State Colleges (which does not include UVM) mentioned closing campus (presumably one of the NVU campuses) is "one of the options," albeit the last resort. President Garimella is quoated saying UVM is expecting a "tsunami of new financial aid requests" totaling $10 million as the personal finances' of previously-middle-class families detoriate.

UVM will certainly be seeing some 8-figure operating defecits regardless. But the fact is, what else is left to cut? Because of Title IX you can't cut women's sports before men's (field hockey and women's swimming would otherwise be no-braineers), and there's not much men's sports left. Lax, soccer? Fall/Spring men's sports are already bare to the bones. Skiing is fairly expensive and they might cut schollies or even walk-on roster spots, but you can't cut the only sport you win national championships in. The hockey announcement--rather than finding some cheaper interim HC alternative--was the first encouraging sign I've seen for collegiate athletics in a while.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts