Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright time for day 2 boys.

First lineup of games include:

NC State/charlotte- keeping my eye on hodge and withers

Ohio/florida- roberson- lee and brewer and fun and ohio has williams

Iowa State/minn- stinson and grier are prospects of note

Se Louisiana/ OK st. - JOEY GRAHAM BABY, lucas and Jameson curry for ok st, no one really for se lou.

Excited to see graham again as well as hodge. Time to say hello to my couch again. See u later

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
I think the best set of games will be the 9:30-10:00 session of games.

I expect Old Dominion and George Washington to be very competitive in the 5-12 games, (I have ODU winning).

And while I did not pick the upset, I think the game in the first round with the best possibility for a major upset (14 seed or below) is Bucknell against Kansas. Kansas was staggering at the end of the season, and Bucknell has shown that it is capable of pulling off upsets this year (winning at Pitt) - they were also outstanding in the Patriot conference (crappy conference) but they blew away Lafayette, a not so horrid American team, and really dominated Holy Cross (a good team that beat Notre Dame in the NIT) until Holy Cross had some cheap scores at the end.

Don't be stunned if Bucknell wins. (expect the game to be in the 50's)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Nooooooooooooooooo....
Two losses in about two hours (I had Minny and Charlotte winning, not to mention UCLA and LSU last night) :curse: .
Can't wait 'til the later games tonight!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Syracuse game was crazy..damn I wish they won. Warrick had a good game, he had a lot of TOs but I think he worked through the double teaming late in the second half quite well.
Man my Austin bracket is brutal. Now I'm just hoping OD upsets State.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
warrick was injured. He had food poisoning too.

thank macna-choker for the loss though. Even an injured, poisoned Warrick isn't enough when his teammates are all choke artists

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
great set of games tonight....Kansas' last shot I thought was going in....like one of the announcers said, reminicent of Laetner's game winner a decade ago...

and the point guard of Vermont has some big jube jubes taking that 3 from way downtown late to clinch the game....highlight of the night in my eyes

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
JuniorNoboa said:
And while I did not pick the upset, I think the game in the first round with the best possibility for a major upset (14 seed or below) is Bucknell against Kansas. Kansas was staggering at the end of the season, and Bucknell has shown that it is capable of pulling off upsets this year (winning at Pitt) - they were also outstanding in the Patriot conference (crappy conference) but they blew away Lafayette, a not so horrid American team, and really dominated Holy Cross (a good team that beat Notre Dame in the NIT) until Holy Cross had some cheap scores at the end.

Don't be stunned if Bucknell wins. (expect the game to be in the 50's)
Genius.

Have to give props to myself, since no one here wants to give me credit. Nice little Pro-Line payout of over $250 tonight, because if the Bucknell game.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Oh.My.God.
I had Kansas in the Elite Eight and Syracuse in the championship game...
Warrick had a triple-double: 21 pts., 12 reb., 10 TOs. McNamara shot 4-20.

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
friday night games have historically come with a lot of upsets. i don't know what it is, it might be the "friday night stage" or something, but they seem to come up with slightly more than the other sets (since santa clara-arizona, IMO).

that said, i was with clark kellogg last night when he admitted he thought the heavy favourites would come out unscathed in the first round. looking at the games, i just couldn't imagine bucknell beating kansas, or even simien falling short in his laettner imitation. when it comes to vermont-'cuse, i'm so excited that UVM won that game, and it was definitely my highlight of the tournament to this point, but i didn't actually think they could win beforehand. it was a best case scenario that i didn't think would happen in a million years... but it did. that's sports. it was beautiful.

i'm not one who enjoys upsets for the sake of upsets, that's not me, but vermont was enormous. i think people are going to be remembering that game vividly for 5-10 years. coach brennan deserved something like that, the "U-V-M" fan chant on the possession when sorrentine nailed the 28-footer was legendary, and watching the orangemen fight tooth and nail themselves was special for me. you can talk about "underestimating your opponent" and all that, but i think syracuse deserves more credit here. that game had everything and while they were clearly the more "talented" group, that means a lot less than you'd think when you're talking about just 40 (or 45) minutes.

the game had it all. that game was in fact one of the best basketball games i have ever seen in my life (at any level). mopa njila's drive that saw him toe the baseline, peter warrick's almost comical athleticism erupting at important points, roberts' controversial tech for hanging on the rim, coppenrath's myriad of college talents that will surely never see him set foot on an nba floor, the 2-3 orange, the syracuse full court press to tie the game and attempt to confuse the catamounts- which all succeeded-, a fantastic game call by gus johnson and len elmore, etc.

it was a very memorable night. props to the orangemen, i could never question their effort for that one while many others are going to HAVE to resort to that explanation to make sense of the upset, props to the officials for making the game that much more memorable with all their strange calls :))), and congrats to vermont.

now what's next?

peace

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
"Tom Brennan would have retired a happy man regardless. But his 264th victory at Vermont made his impending departure a whole lot sweeter.
The wildly popular coach cried openly Friday night after his 13th-seeded Catamounts earned their biggest victory in school history"

"When that went in, I thought I might burst," Brennan said of Sorrentine's long 3 from the top of the key. "I thought you might find me in pieces around the arena because there's no drug, nothing in the world that is that feeling."
(by John Kekis. Associated Press)

^thas pretty cool right there. That game was definitely a special one.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
you mean the guy from Sarnia?

I hated that I won't see Warrick again till our first game next year, but I found that Vermont team awfully easy to route for

1 - 16 of 16 Posts