Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ND fans, ND haters anyone can come discuss the football team. Seen other threads around here about peoples favorite squads so I decided to start one.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TheATLien said:
Which ND recruit are you most looking forward to seeing in South Bend?

Omar Hunter, and all the bigtime defensive recruits we have onboard. Dayne Crist is also up there if Clausen can't improve his arm strength over the course of the offseason.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Evan Sharpley #13

Going to be making his first career start this week. Although I'm a huge Clausen supporter, he gives us the best chance to win currently because Weis actually opens up the offense for him. Although I think we have absolutely no shot to win this weekend I'm hoping Evan plays well enough to lead us to victory. Listening to Charlie talk about the QB situation just about an hour ago it seems like Sharps will need to set the world on fire for him to have a shot to keep the job in the future. He also said Clausen is nicked up, and knowing how secretive the big tuna is about injuries I think Clausen is either injured, or Charlie is really protecting JC.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know we suck this year, pretty badly as well. But our defense is much better than the past couple of years, I mean lightyears better. If the offensive genius can right the offensive ship we are going to be really damn good in a year or two.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First half observations:

USC

-Mark Sanchez is really good. Next year USC is going to be scary on offense.
-Their run defense is good, we should be exploiting their pass defense although Sharpley's accuracy is atrocious.
-They conitnue their gameplan they will win by 30 or 40.

Notre Dame
-Sharpley is a very good backup QB, but a horrible starter. His accuracy is terrible. Clausen who isn't 100% is more accurate than him.
-Weis is a garbage coach, we should be genrating some semblance of an offense. He has the coaching skills of a deaf volleyball player which is none. If he doesn't open up the offense we can just forefit.
-Defense is looking good but they are on the field way too much.

17-0 USC at half.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Charlie Weis should resign. Clausen didn't see one ****ing snap at all today. For how ****ty Sharpley and our offense was Clausen should have gotten one series.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
One Lone bright spot today:

#5 Armando Allen

Ran the ball 11 times for 57 yards for a little over 5 yards a pop against a stout USC run defense. The kid can ball and if we actualy had an offensive genius (not to mention an O-Line) he would have a couple of huge TD runs at this point.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our current recruiting class is one of the best in the country with 20 very good commits:

Robert Blanton 4* DB
Braxston Cave 4* OL
Lane Clelland 4* OL
Dayne Crist 5* QB
Sean Cwynar 4* DL
Joseph Fauria 4* OL/TE
Steven Filer 4* LB
Darius Fleming 4* DE/LB
Mike Floyd 4* WR
Mike Golic 3* OL
John Goodman 4* WR
Omar Hunter 4* DL
Ethan Johnson 4* DE
Dan McCarthy 4* DB
Anthony McDonald 4* LB
Brandon Newman 3* DL
David Posluszny 3* LB
Kyle Rudolph 5* TE
Jamoris Slaughter 4* DB
Hafis Williams 3* DL

I honestly think we have one of the top 2-3 defensive classes in the country. Our Defensive Lineman class is probably the best. The OL recuiting in this class is pretty solid. We have recruited the secondary strong for the 3dr straight year. The Linebackers are very good. Dayne Crist continues Weis ability to recruit top flight QB's. I can only hope '09 so-cal uber-recruit Matt Barkley land in South Bend as well. Rudolph, Floyd, and almost every front seven recruit will contribute immeadiately. Cave, or Golic may also start at Center.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My two deep for next season (barring no transfers/decommitments):

Offense

QB

Soph. Jimmy Clausen 5*
Sr. Evan Sharpley 3*

Comments: Clausen gets a chance to lift, and indulge the playbook even more and because of this distances himself from Sharpley. If this doesn't happen Sharps will start out the season (which if Clausen doesn't get any stronger I have no problem with). Also if Clausen does indeed distance himself this spring, Sharpley may focus on baseball especially if Dayne Crist beats him out in the fall.

RB

Jr. James Aldridge 5*
Soph. Armando Allen 4*

Comments: With an improved offensive Line these two could become the poormans version of White/Bush. Aldridge is a slower clone of Beanie Wells, and Allen could become an explosive back if our Line decides to show up next year.

FB

Jr. Luke Schmidt 3*
Soph. Robert Hughes 4*

Comments: Schmidt should be starting at the fullback spot this year, and Hughes gives the team another pound it out option down near the goal-line.

TE

Jr. Will Yeatman 3*
soph. Mike Ragone 4*

Comments: Yeatman is a John Carlson clone, and Ragone could end up being an Anthony Fasano type player (a WR/TE hybrid). The TE spot has a lot of potential next year with these two along with 5* fr. Rudolph (6'7") and Joesph Fuaria 4* fr. (6'8") possibly seeing time down near the goal-line.

WR

WR1: soph. Duval Kamara 4*
jr. Robby Parris 3*

WR2: soph. Golden Tate 4*
sr. David Grimes 3*

Wr3: Fr. Mike Floyd 4*
jr. George West 3*

Comments: WR has some prety good young talent heading into next year. Kamara, and Tate will probably both start for sure (you could swap Tate, and Parris) but I also think fr. Mike Floyd will get some playing time. If the line blocks well and gives the QB time to throw we could be looking at a couple of 50+ reception receivers. The speed is also pretty solid with Tate, Grimes, West, and Floyd. JR's Barry Gallup, and Richard Jackson, along with senior DJ hord may also see some time.

OT

LT: Jr. Sam Young 5*
Jr. Bartley Webb 3*

RT: soph. Matt Romine 4*
Fr. Lane Clelland 4*

Comments: I think are tackles could be fairly decent next year. Romine, and Young were both pretty big recruits and I think if we can fix the current problems on the O-Line these guys could help the line shine.

OG

LG: Jr. Chris Stewart 4*
Soph. Emeka Nwankwo 3*

RG: Jr. Eric Olsen 4*
Fr. Braxston Cave 4*

Comments; The interior of our line has played terrible all year, because of youth and bad coaching. Hopefully getting beefier up front starting Olsen, and Stewart (who is 6'5" 340) will help the cause.

Center

Jr Dan Wenger 4*
fr. Mike Golic 3*

Comments: John Sullivan has done absolutely nothing all year, I'm hoping a fresh start at Center will help the line get better.

Defense

DE

Strongside End: Fr. Ethan Johnson 4*
Fr. Hafis Williams 3*

Weakside End: Sr. Pat Kuntz 3*
Fr. Sean Cwynar 4*

Comments: Besides Kuntz are ends in the 3-4 alignment are going to be very young. Johnson, Williams, and Cwynar are all very talented though and should make immeadiate impacts. I think are DL could be great in a couple of years.

NT

FR. Omar Hunter 4*
Soph. Ian Williams 3*

Comments: Young and talented best way too describe our Nose tackles for next season. It's possible Pat Kuntz stays at nose and Hunter moves to End but i'm not too sure at this point. Either way I think our DL is going to be pretty good next year.

LB

Strongside outside LB: Soph. Brian Smith 4*
Fr. Darius Fleming 4*

comments: Smith is going to be an All-American one day (or so I hope). He just has that nasty attitude that every great LB has. Fleming is going to be a very good hybrid DE/LB.

Weakside outside LB: soph. Kerry Neal 4*
Jr. John Ryan 3*

Comments: Neal, and Smith should be named the super smash bros because they are going to smash some RB's, and QB's the next 3 years. Ryan has started this year but is a poor tackler, and he isn't as talented as Smith or Neal.

Inside LB:

ILB1: rs/sr. Maurice Crum 3*
Fr. Steve Filer 4*

Comments; Crum returns for a 5th year, and takes the talented Filer under his wing. Filer will then fill in nicely the following year at the same spot.

ILB2: Fr. Anthony McDonald 4*
Fr. David Posluszny 3*

Comments: McDonald is vastly underrated IMO, and has a shot at starting next season. Posluszny could be a very good pickup in time once he gets stronger (heres to hoping he is as good as his brother was at PSU).

CB

CB1: Jr. Darrin Walls 4*
Fr. Robert Blanton 4*

CB2: Jr. Raeshon McNeil 4*
Sr. Teirral Lambert 4*

Nickelback: Soph. Gary Gray 4*
Fr. Jamoris Slaughter 4*

Comments: The secondary should be the best part of our defense next year, and the following year we have the potential to boast the best secondary in college football (again if they develop).

Safety

SS: Sr. Kyle McCarthy 3*
Soph. Harrison Smith 4*

FS: Sr. David Bruton 3*
Fr. Dan McCarthy 4*

Comments: Bruton is an absolute stud in the secondary, and the McCarthy brothers should both be very solid players. Harrison Smith has great speed and could see some downs as a nickelback. We should have some very solid safety play over the next few years.

I won't even meantion special teams because I'm not really sure where people will play on special teams.

Possible ND All-American candidates next year:

David Bruton #27

He is quite possibly the best special teams player that isnt a kicker, or returner in America. He also has very good range as a safety and is much better in coverage than Zibby. If ND improves bigtime next year, he will be a big part of it meaning a great shot at making an AA squad.

I know theres still 4 games left of this year but I need a bright spot, and I'm looking to the future for it. I'm not going to predict next years record until after this one is already over but I fell we should improve greatly next season.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
67 tackles, 6 TFLs, 2 Sacks, 4 PBU, 2 FR, 2 Blocked kicks.

Anyone wanna guess who owns those stats? Nope it's not Sedrick Ellis, Chris Long, or even Glenn Dorsey. This certain someone hasn't gotten any AA love yet this year, robbery at it's finest.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Are you guys looking to sign another RB? I know you guys OL is not fantastic, but I haven't seen your current RB's make any plays yet.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TheATLien said:
Are you guys looking to sign another RB? I know you guys OL is not fantastic, but I haven't seen your current RB's make any plays yet.

Cyrus Gray who is a 4*, and visiting this weekend. Our RB's have no chance to make any plays whatsoever. Our line can't block period. The defense can just tee off on our QB, and they can be content with 8 or 9 in the box because of how bad our O-Line is. Your right though our RB's haven't made any huge plays yet. None of tem are great, but Allen, and Aldrdge will be a good complement to the passing game when we get an o-line.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright Charlie, the ball is in your court. Next year you will have an abundance of talent, now you need to make things happen. 8 wins or your out next year.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The QB competition looks to resume this week if Clausen is healthy. We need to build for the future and Sharpley just isn't that guy. He isn't any better at 100% than Clausen is at 80 or so %.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Clausen is starting this week, which causes a little excitement for ND fans. I have no idea how effective he will be though considering our offensive-Line is the equivelent of a winless JV team. If he gets time, and the paybook is opened up he could show some glimpses of future greatness, but then again asking for protection from this team is like asking god to allow you to bone jessica Alba. At first you feel wow maybe it will happen then reality hits you square in the head.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Even though we will lose, let me intorduce everyone to the Jimmy Clausen that was so hyped up as a high schooler. Yes I know it's Air Force, but Clausen looked great when he got time to throw today. The kid's talent is undeniable, I question if he will ever receive the coaching necessary to reach his potential.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts