Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

181 - 194 of 194 Posts

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #181 (Edited)
So Lo Wood is official and i'm pretty geeked. He is kind of small but he is one of the best cover CB's in the country.

Our 2010 recruiting class looks like:

5* DE Chris Martin
4* DE Blake Leuders
4* QB Andrew Hendrix
4* TE Alex Welch
4* LB Kendall Moore
4* DE Prince Shembo
3* OL Christian Lombard
3* WR Bennett Jackson
3* WR Daniel Smith
3* DB Lo Wood
3* DB Spencer Boyd
3* S Chris Badger
3* DL Justin Utupo
3* QB Tommy Rees

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
We have received two commitments the past week. 3* S Chris Badger, and 3* DL Justin Utupo. Both are of the Mormon faith. Te'o committing has paid huge dividends.

-Look for 4* LB Kendall Moore, and 3* DB Spencer Boyd to be Irish soon.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Youtube clips of our commits:

Chris Martin

Andrew Hendrix

Alex Welch

Bennett Jackson

Daniel Smith

Lo Wood

Chris Badger

Justin Utupo

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Kendall Moore a 4* LB from North Carolina is Irish. Our LB corps in 2 years = :eek:mg: especially if Tenuta is still around.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
3* DB Spencer Boyd will be Irish on friday. That leaves us the next 7 months to try and land either 4* Cody Riggs, or 3* (likely to end up top 100) Josh Shaw. Shaw is the most likely if we can give SC a game when he visits and Weis keeps his job.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
-An Irish "Legends" Team beat a Japanese all-star team 19-3 today. Lou Holtz was the coach. I'm still preplexed as to why Weis hasn't hired that man to give motivational speeches before every game. Say what you will about his analysis (which is the best in the business when ND isn't the topic) but that old senile guy is one hell of a speaker.

-Nate Montana (the walk-on and yes Joe's kid) is transferring to Pasadena City College for a semester to get some playing experience. He will be back in the spring. Not a huge loss as we retain Clausen, Sharpley, and Crist.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Today was the first day of camp and wow, i'm definitely stoked. The team appears to be more mature, focused, and together than either of the past 2 years.

Manti Te'O is the real freaking deal. He is 244 pounds of muscle, and looks to be very agile. I think he could be a Maualuga level defender when all is said and done. His potential is through the roof. He will be starting by the end of the year.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Its been a while :laugh:

Brian Kelly is the coach now, thank god we don't have to deal with Weis any more. His first year was meh. Losses to Tulsa and Navy were inexcusable and dropping both the Michigan and Michigan State games hurt. Winning four in a row to end the season gives this team a lot of momentum, especially when each win came against a team that made a bowl (or in USCs case had a winning record).

This year should be another 8-10 win season, depending on a couple of things. Can we find a QB? Can the defense play as well as they did during the last 4 games of 2010? If we can do both of those things I think this is a team that will play in a BCS game come January 2012. We have 9 games in which we will probably be favored to win, and 3 games that are toss-ups. If we can win the 9 games we should and win 1 of the following 3 games; Stanford, USC, Michigan State, then I think we could see a BCS game in year two of the Brian Kelly era. If the defense takes a step back and we don't find a QB, we are going to be scrambling to win 7-8 regular season games. Should be an interesting season.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
My predictions for this year:

Vs. USF- W
@ Michigan- W
Vs. Michigan State- Toss-Up
@ Pittsburgh- W
@ Purdue- W
Vs. Air Force- W
Vs. USC- Toss-Up
Vs. Navy- Toss-Up
@ Wake Forest- W
Vs. Maryland- W
Vs. Boston College- W
@ Stanford- L

We should win a minimum of 8 games, period. Really think theres no excuse for not making a BCS game this year. On a side note Kelly has no excuse to lose to Michigan this year.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
They were talking about this on SportsCenter or College Football Live. That Notre Dame doesn't have a difficult schedule. Not many great teams, but at the same time not many ****ty teams either.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Yeah thats a good point. Those first two games are going to be the catalyst. USF should be a contender in the Big East and Michigan could be anywhere from 5-7 to 8-4, either way if we win those two I think we are in for a big year. Lose one of those two and its going to be another 7-5/8-4 type season.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Sorry for the late response. How are things BB?

We should be okay. We have a difficult schedule (road games at Michigan State USC and Oklahoma), but the rest is manageable. I said 5-7 wins before the season and I'll stick with that until the end of this month and see how we do against Purdue, MSU and Michigan. If we go 3-1 this month, I think were an 8-9 win football team. If we go 2-2 anywhere from 5-8 wins.

We have a pretty good front 7 on defense, with Te'O and Tuitt being elite players. Our OL is pretty good and we have great depth at RB. Inexperience/lack of depth at QB/WR/DB are our downfalls. Minimizing the turnovers is going to be key. If we do that and escape September at 3-1 I like our odds of winning 8-9 football games, which would be a solid year given the circumstances.

Next year, its BCS or bust.

181 - 194 of 194 Posts