Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This board has been burning up with (mostly unreasonable) schemes for the Knicks to trade Sprewell in an attempt to improve the team. I think he's a tough guy to trade, but in the right deal could really help a contending team.

I have my own doubts about this one, but try it on for size:

New York sends Kurt Thomas, Latrell Sprewell, and Howard Eisley to Dallas for Michael Finley and Nick Van Exel

The Knicks get the point guard they need, and in Finley they get a slasher who can create his own shot and put up 20 ppg. They're even weaker in the middle, but overall have a stronger lineup:

Doleac?/Harrington
McDyess/Harrington/Weatherspoon
Finley/Weatherspoon
Sprewell/Finley/Anderson
Van Exel/Ward/Williams

The Mavericks would have to swallow hard in giving up Finley, but get the blue collar banger they need in Thomas, and a strong defender and all-around player in Sprewell who should enjoy a rejuvenation playing his natural shooting guard spot for a legitimate contender. Anything Eisley can do for them is icing on the cake. Van Exel would help the Mavericks win some games, but he really needs to run his own show to avoid being a locker room distraction--I find it hard to imagine Nick and Nash coexisting productively all season long. So the Mavericks would be:

LaFrentz/Bradley/Wang/Eschmeyer
Thomas/LaFrentz
Nowitzki/Griffin
Sprewell/Griffin
Nash/Johnson/Eisley

On paper, I think Dallas would be giving up too much in this deal. But I think both teams would come out ahead as a result, given the improvements in team composition and chemistry.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Michael Finley AIN'T gonna get traded for LATRELL SPREWELL! Take a look at Spree's stats over the final ten games of last season--this guy REALLY lost a step last year:

FINAL TEN GAMES of 2001-02:

40.5 minutes/game
34.6 FG% (terrible)
33.9% 3Pt%
14.3 points/game (on 15.3 FG attempts and 2.1 FT attempts per game?)
2.3 rebounds/game
3.9 assists/game
2.3 turnovers/game
1.3 steals/game
0.3 blocks/game
2.1 FT attempts/game

PRETTY TERRIBLE! The Knicks wouldn't trade Spree for The Big Dog a few weeks ago because they were holding out for something better--they may end up really kicking themselves, because I THINK THAT'S THE BEST OFFER THEY'RE GONNA GET FOR SPREE!

Take a look at Spree's stats for the entire 2001-02 season, compare these stats to his final ten games, and you get a good idea of just how much Spree slipped last year.

ENTIRE SEASON:

41.1 minutes/game
40.4 FG%
39.3 3Pt%
19.4 points/game
3.7 rebounds/game
3.9 assists/game
2.8 turnovers/game
1.16 steals/game
0.17 blocks/game
4.4 FT attempts/game

YEAH, he REALLY SLIPPED last year.

BOTTOM LINE: The Mavs AIN'T gonna trade MICHAEL FINLEY for Spree! Would they trade the 2001-02 Michael Finley for the, say, 1998-99 Latrell Sprewell? Yeah, probably. But Spree ain't what he used to be. The Knicks are gonna SUCK next year--get ready for 25-57, Knicks fans! It's coming!

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree Spree slipped last season, and I do think he's a bit past his prime. A bit part of the reason he slipped so much, though, is because he continued to play out of position on a bad team. He's incredibly competitive and the losing has gotten to him. Again, he would play with more fire and more consistently for Dallas. He wouldn't necessarily score more than he did with the Knicks, but I'll bet his shooting percentage would go up and his turnovers would go down.

No way would I do a straight-up Finley for Sprewell swap. Trust me, I'm a bigger Finley fan than a Sprewell booster. But I think this (totally hypothetical) trade would help the Mavericks because it gives them a better-rounded lineup (a true power forward), better team chemistry (anticipating the eventual Van Exel explosion), and possibly more competitive fire.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Besides this leaves the Mavericks with no bench and as deep as the Clippers, Kings, Lakers and Blazers are there is no way the Mavericks would not be able to match up with them any more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts