Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Say Cheese
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow...this is a shocker....seems like Nellie has been reading Message Boards lately...the Avery Johnson Era begins tonight! This could make, or break the rest of the Dallas Mavs' season.

Story

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Wow, quite surprising, especially at this point in the season.

Was this in his plans afterall, because why else would he have been giving Avery chances to coach?

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Well it was obvious that Avery was being groomed to start coaching probably next season, but it's very suprising it happens at this point in the year with the Mavs being a title contender.

·
Say Cheese
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The team simply was better under Avery....Nellie had to go, he was more or less detrimental to the team with what he was doing (rotations, minutes)...he will stay on in the front office, where he is way more effective...look for the Mavs to play with more fire and intensity under Avery...also Devin will get more minutes.... :clap:

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Pan Mengtu said:
Good plan. He's not a very good coach. But he seems to be a decent evaluator of talent, so hopefully he'll stay on in an executive or scouting role.
He's a lot better than "decent." But I think Dallas has enough quality young players that they'd be all right for the next few years even if Nelson leaves the organization.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
He and his son will probably still be with the organization and bring in the talent. He brought in great talent and he knows where the talent is. Good coach but not great. But he was with the team when they barely won 20 games a year to a team that contends for the title now.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
They seemed to do better with Avery on the bench. If anything it's better for the team.

Whoever scouted and drafted Harris, Howard and Daniels is a genius tho.

·
Registered
9,187 Posts
ironic. i was playing espn bball last night with the mavs, and was wondering when avery johnson was gonna take over. and here it is.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
RP McMurphy said:
He's a lot better than "decent." But I think Dallas has enough quality young players that they'd be all right for the next few years even if Nelson leaves the organization.
Hes a great evaluator of talent, he never does rely much on the NBA draft, but when he does, he always picks up good players with relatively low picks.

·
Registered
427 Posts
dk1115 said:
Anyone know Mavs record under Avery?
I think they are 9-4 under him.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Tragedy said:
ironic. i was playing espn bball last night with the mavs, and was wondering when avery johnson was gonna take over. and here it is.
I wrote a post about how the Mavericks should make AJ the coach, last night

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
This whole Avery Johnson situation is really weird. I've never seen a guy plucked straight out of retirement and groomed to be a coach like he has. What makes him such a great coaching prospect? I don't see it.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
My post in the Mavs board

Wow, this is a shock. I just hope this was a complete voluntary decision for Nelson. It appears to be, so that's at least good. I don't have any overly angry or happy feelings about it, because we all knew this day would come. Just not this fast.

My guess is the grind just took it's toll on him, and he had had enough. This isn't a Larry Brown situation, where he just left the 76ers surprised, running around like a decapitated chicken figuring out what to do. This was one of the more admirable passing of the torches, Nelson set us up with who he thought was a good choice, gave Avery some experience earlier this year, and then stepped down when Johnson was pretty much proven as far as being the guy for us. In hindsight, Nelson probably had this pretty much played out, though his and his wife's health problems sped the process up a bit.

I don't want to sound disrespectful or anything, but I hope he gets hisself in better shape, because, no offense, but his weight could be a problem at 64. He certainly owes it to himself to see his masterful creation play itself out.

This is the beginning of a new era for us, Johnson certainly appears to be the guy for us. I think in all fairness to Nelson, we're a better team with Johnson, so that's a plus. I'm just looking forward to the playoffs now.
This whole Avery Johnson situation is really weird. I've never seen a guy plucked straight out of retirement and groomed to be a coach like he has. What makes him such a great coaching prospect? I don't see it.
You must not see Mavericks games. He preaches defense, doesn't have a short leash, he doesn't tolerate laziness, doesn't pull out obscure lineups when he should stick to his guns, utilizes the post on offense, and all of this is proven. I think he's a better coach for us than Nelson.

·
Registered
427 Posts
_Dre_ said:
You must not see Mavericks games. He preaches defense, doesn't have a short leash, he doesn't tolerate laziness, doesn't pull out obscure lineups when he should stick to his guns, utilizes the post on offense, and all of this is proven. I think he's a better coach for us than Nelson.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I agree 100%.

·
Registered
371 Posts
It's a bit of a shock, but as a Mavs fan there is so much to look forward too. I'm still undecided on whether its good or bad for the short term

1 - 20 of 20 Posts